Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Wait for Next Version, Use current (.40.24,) or use older release (.34.11?)

Wait for the next release. I want usable mugs damn it!
- 55 (71.4%)
We can use the current one. I like the big trees and slightly smarter dorfs.
- 17 (22.1%)
I'll take .34.11 thanks. I want to know I'll get to kill things for sure.
- 5 (6.5%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Pages: 1 ... 535 536 [537] 538 539 ... 815

Author Topic: [34.11] Spearbreakers - It shudders and begins to move  (Read 2178262 times)

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
Re: Spearbreakers - Madness. Mayhem. Mugs. (34.11)
« Reply #8040 on: March 17, 2013, 10:34:13 pm »

Earlier I started on a project that may end up being a bit much for me... It started when someone (I'm assuming you, Splint) added the wiki section about The Amber Barb... and I realized we didn't have a picture.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8041 on: March 18, 2013, 01:46:52 am »

Yes it was; I've been adding to the wiki where I could. If you need pictures I can slap something together depending on what you need.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8042 on: March 18, 2013, 05:56:40 pm »

Mr Frooooggggggg...

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8043 on: March 18, 2013, 05:59:23 pm »

The only sad thing is that jade has to be applied retroactively. He used blue garnets, not jade.

Lennoxite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8044 on: March 18, 2013, 06:01:00 pm »

Well, the hammerers are quite capable!

AEGIS progress...

Alright, prologue done and feeling less than great about it.

Anyways...

BEHOLD MEDIOCRITY!

... :-[

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8045 on: March 18, 2013, 06:01:14 pm »

Hrm. :\ So... this entire time, we've been calling it a jade spearhead when it actually wasn't jade at all? How did we screw that up?

edit: You're right... I was the one who screwed it up, it seems.

reedit: Typo.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 12:01:45 pm by Talvieno »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8046 on: March 18, 2013, 06:03:57 pm »

Possibly a miscommunication, why else would I have a crippling fear of garnets?

Because the last time a dwarf touched those damned things ina mood he lost his shit and needed his head speared.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8047 on: March 18, 2013, 06:11:21 pm »

All right, well... hrm. The original composition doesn't seem to have been mentioned since Armok engraved the runes on Urist Okablokum's spearhead, which was supposed to be The Master's... So... in the interests of keeping myself, Hanslanda, and Lolfail from rewriting story bits... maybe Armok transformed it into a different material when he blessed it?

edit: Reading your story bit now, Lennoxite, sorry I missed it.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2013, 06:13:09 pm by Talvieno »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8048 on: March 18, 2013, 06:17:35 pm »

I just assumed something got misread and assumed material was applied retroactively to avoid problems after the first or second mess-up.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #8049 on: March 18, 2013, 06:25:35 pm »

Mr Frooooggggggg...
[snip]
I actually think I'm improving. lol

The shading on the edge-y part's pretty chaotic; try to keep a better idea of where the light's coming from and how it would interact with the object's surface. The shaft-y part has nice shading, though. Pretty good for what I'm guessing from a number of cues was a pretty hasty job (I typically spend upwards of 6 hours on each drawing, even the shitty ones). The engraving was pulled off really well.

I think your main problem with art is that you haven't really built up an intuitive idea of the shape of objects in physical space. Try picking up household objects (particularly simple shapes like cans or boxes) and examining them carefully from every angle to get an idea of their dimensions and such. A firm grasp of basic trigonometry (math is awesome!) helps as well when drawing things at an angle. It's the sort of thing that can only really be learned on an instinctive level, but it helps a lot to look at what you're already drawing and asking yourself what's wrong with it.
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8050 on: March 18, 2013, 07:47:55 pm »

Random: West Everoc, a work in progress... in all its three-dimensional glory.

Mr Frog: Yeah, the edge shading was a bit off... I was trying to use something as a reference, and there were multiple light sources in the room, and it kind of messed it up because of it. :\ But you're right. The "shape of objects in physical space" isn't something I've gotten to an instinctive level yet... I'll try to work on that. (And yes, I know I colored outside the lines. lol   I was working on the above at the same time, and between the two I missed a few things.) Thanks for the constructive criticism - very helpful. :)

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #8051 on: March 18, 2013, 08:11:35 pm »

@Talvi:

So is that image from another program, or did you make a 3-D world map visualiser from scratch?
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8052 on: March 18, 2013, 08:29:07 pm »

Either way, it's bloody amazing.

the Four Counties is north east of the blood plains, iirc, and Gugiromon to the north.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8053 on: March 18, 2013, 09:53:10 pm »

Mr Frog: Lol, I wish. I'm nowhere near that level, unfortunately. Most of what I do programming-wise is two-dimensional. But no, it's the Crysis Sandbox 2 editor:
It's useful when you're wanting to make a landscape, and I've put a lot of time into working with it, even though I haven't messed with it in a pretty long time. I'm surprised it would actually come in handy, but it reads heightmaps. All I have to do is add the textures, mess with the rivers a little bit, fix the mountain height, etc.

Reudh, thank you very much. (: I honestly never realized the blood plains were so extensive while I was writing. The place marked "desert" isn't actually a desert - that's just very, very hot grasslands. I colored it with a desert-ish color and a sandy texture by mistake and forgot about it when I was putting the text onto the image. It's not perfect, but I'm working on it. Right now it's at least good enough to see The Amber Barb, which is what I was going for (you can see the mountain range in the above pic, it's in the background).

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8054 on: March 19, 2013, 04:18:08 am »

22nd Felsite, 210

Well, clean-up's begun. Got some of the the skulkers outside scrubbing down the walls and roads while mitch and Talvi unclog the weapon traps. I really should consider putting more of those down for crowd control. Did a great job of thinning them out during the last attack.

I've begun a small scale renovation effort, and even decided to try and reinstate the wagon road in case we need it. I think a nice golden road will certainly be a good way to flaunt our wealth a bit, you know, really rile up the local greenskins.

23rd Felsite, 210

Some lost soul's pet caught a thief trying to make off with some greaves. We found the dog barely able to stay away and the greaves, so I assume a theft was prevented. I've asked that the dog be euthenized. Poor pooch. At least you'll be with your master now. Seems it managed to drag itself outside and passed out on a weapon trap. According to Talvi, the poor thing got brained by a maul.

I'm having several headstones relocated to the hall of heroes as well.

Oh, and evidently some traps I had laid have snagged a bugbat.

27th Felsite, 210

We must be quick cleaning up the bodies. We need to invade soon. Yes.... Quite soon...

1st Hematite, 210

It is summer now. By the middle of the season, no matter what, We begin the invasion. We have ammo aplenty, all my extant projects are complete... More or less anyway. Oh and Dicer evidently has taken to hammer usage. Dunno where that came from, but you know, whatever works for him.

7th Hematite, 210

Rose is working us all hard so we'll be able to fight come the next attack. We did well, but she says we still need work. Hmph, she's one to talk, at least I didn't get thrown at a tree. Though I gotta give her credit, she's pretty durable, since she only got a pretty nasty bruise from that and some splinters in the back of her neck. I have also had a new clothing and weavery station dug out; now we can have fresh silk!

Oh, and my dear journal we've done it! We've almost finished crating everything! I've decided to alievate future problems and keep bin and barrel production going in tandem with a massive deforestation order in the caverns. now that we have the resources, we're gonna use'em damn it!

Oh and the headstones have been shifted. Nearly filled a whole damned row.
Pages: 1 ... 535 536 [537] 538 539 ... 815