Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Wait for Next Version, Use current (.40.24,) or use older release (.34.11?)

Wait for the next release. I want usable mugs damn it!
- 55 (71.4%)
We can use the current one. I like the big trees and slightly smarter dorfs.
- 17 (22.1%)
I'll take .34.11 thanks. I want to know I'll get to kill things for sure.
- 5 (6.5%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Pages: 1 ... 570 571 [572] 573 574 ... 815

Author Topic: [34.11] Spearbreakers - It shudders and begins to move  (Read 2178976 times)

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
Re: Spearbreakers - A Tale Of Depression, Pyromania, and Mugs. (34.11)
« Reply #8565 on: May 28, 2013, 05:37:41 pm »

Okay, so Tedaz's picture is finished:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Reudh requested that his Parasol guys be drawn wearing "Parasol Fatigues" without to my knowledge specifying what that meant. I couldn't find anything on the wiki, so I just Googled 'fatigues' and copied that. Let this be a lesson.

Also, I apologise for the sloppy-looking shading. I tried a new shading technique, but it didn't really work out IMO.
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8566 on: May 28, 2013, 05:46:54 pm »

Arts AND another update! Goody goody gumdrops!

21st moonstone, 210

There was a minor digging accident. Nothing bad though, for once. Rodge got some minor bruises and Solpyre got slammed into a wall, but otherwise both are fine.

1st Opal, 210

Something isn't right... I mean, less right than usual. They're watching.... Waiting.... I know they are.

8th Opal, 210

The merchants are finally on the road out and should be off fortress grounds within the next day or so. Good. That means they're no longer our responsibility to protect.

10th Opal, 210

Captured some bizarre lanky thing called a Reacher. Off to the zoo with it!

-The following appears to be a stabled in computer printout-

Lifeform detected: Genetic Modification Expeiriment 157g "Usan Aspast Zebu"
Species: Acyrthosiphon pisum mutatio (modified pea aphid)
Modification: Sightless
Modification: Horned
Modification: Spinneret
Detected: Febuary 10th, 211 PS/10th Opal, 210 PS
Threat Evaluation: None
Reasoning: Unable to access local population, equipment, or personel.
Recommended Action: None.

19th Opal, 210

Someone got into my journal and pegged in some nonsense. And a strange occurance of a gremlin in some ratty looking old gray tabard being bludgeoned to death by a farm hand was reported.

According to Mitch, who saw it, the farm hand punched it in the chest, threw it down the stairs and  proceeded to snap its left arm before brutally pummling its skull in.

28th Opal, 210

Decided to get some fresh air and heard a trap spring. Found out a Coati has become a tiny bit dead as a result.

3rd Obsidian, 210

Instead of the attack we thought was coming we seem to be getting more and more visitors. I've ordered the access point sealed and anyone outside it is on their own, which thankfully I think means nobody.

19th obsidian, 210

Skitara found a kobold.
Skitara punched a kobold.
Skitara violently perforated the kobold's skull.

....That seemed alot better before I wrote it.

20th Obsidian, 210

The noises the watch gibbon was making alerted us to some idiots coming. Apparently the spawn have sent scouts. 1st Squad will deal with them.

[INTERMISSION: AN AMBUSH! CURSE THEM!]

Skitara, Dauros, and thier raw Recruit Thornback saw the advancing group of spawn, some lagging behind and jumping up in angered attempts to get at the guard monkey that had blown thier cover.

The lead spawn, a n abnormally big son of a bitch, came shrieking at the hardened army dwarf as she swung her pike sideways, the shaft bashing the monster sideways and sending it staggering backwards. It recovered almost imediatly and lunged forward, and in the flash of movment both it and Skitara made, it's claw missed and her pike had ruined its left ankle, sending it awkwardly sideways. She then stomped down, shattering the lower teeth of its maw and began stabbing wildly at it, blocking two successive and clumsy strikes with her sheild before tearing muscle and oragns asunder. She looked up momentarily, and strangly the rest were gone, or more likely had blundered into the traps after thier leader was knocked of its feet, though one was still making a beeline for her much fast than she though possible, and as it dove for her, claw outstretched, it was stopped dead in its tracks.

And was knocked off its feet with... A crossbow!?

Thornback was standing just ahead of Skitara with Dauros, shaking his hand and cursing about it hurting. In the momentary lapse, the downed spawn swung a claw out and smashed it into Thornback's foot, causing her to yelp in pain and swing her crossbow downward, smashing it into the spawn's claww and leaving a noticable contusion on its equivalent of a palm.

The second spawn got to its feet and charged, bowling over Thornback whiel SKitara was resuming her relentless stabbery, and Dauros, shocked by that attack, charged and shield-slammed into it and threw it off the young recruit. Skitara jumped to help, wrenching her pike free and jaming it into the leg of the second, pinning it in place as Dauros delivered a  bone snapping kick to first its arm and then head, sending teeth flying in all directions. Before long, the beast was dead, a hunk of arm bitten out and more teeth smashed oose along with its heart having been forcibly removed.

"You alright rook?" Skitara said, offering her a hand.

"Foot's sore..." Thornback mumbled as she was helped to feet.

"Looks more like some pretty nasty scratch. May wanna get a new shoe too while youre down." Dauros said, taking a look at what appaered to be a very small pool of blood under Thornback's foot.

The girl's face became very grim "Does this mean I have to go to the hospital?"

"Don't worry about it." The champion said reassuringly. "Mitch made that place much less of a deathtrap. Should be out in a week, two tops if the orderlies drag thier heels."

[INTERMISSION: AMBUSH DEFEATED, END]

21st Obsidian, 210

Thornback had a minor injury in the skirmish yesterday. Evidently she wasn't properly armed. I checked over the stocks and all the pikes are either in traps or being used, so I ordered another to be forged for her.

I'm somewhat shocked nothing has happened. Has the yearly seige decided to not come this year?

22nd Obsidian, 210

Evidently they traded a full assault for probing attacks.

-The following appears hastily written-

MoRe OF theM

[Yeah, year's starting to wrap up nicely. WIll finish either tonight or tomorrow.]

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #8567 on: May 28, 2013, 08:28:59 pm »

Yays!
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8568 on: May 29, 2013, 11:01:50 am »

@Reudh (and, really, anyone who gets buckets of PMs daily):

I noticed a bit of a large delay in your responses to some of my PMs (almost two weeks in one fairly-critical instance)... if you (or anyone else reading this) haven't done so already, go to your profile page, look under the 'Modify Profile' heading, and select 'Personal Messaging'. Once there, set the "Display personal messages:" option to "As a conversation". Your PMs will now neatly organise themselves into self-contained threads and your life will become measurably more awesome.

Unless you've already done this, and I just happen to not actually be the center of the Universe and so must wait in order to get responses, in which case please ignore.

(This is actually very relevant; I probably would've finished Tedaz's pic at least a week ago if Reudh hadn't taken 12 days to supply the info -- not trying to point fingers, mind; it's probably better that there was a delay, for multiple reasons)
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8569 on: May 29, 2013, 11:08:29 am »

@Reudh (and, really, anyone who gets buckets of PMs daily):

I noticed a bit of a large delay in your responses to some of my PMs (almost two weeks in one fairly-critical instance)... if you (or anyone else reading this) haven't done so already, go to your profile page, look under the 'Modify Profile' heading, and select 'Personal Messaging'. Once there, set the "Display personal messages:" option to "As a conversation". Your PMs will now neatly organise themselves into self-contained threads and your life will become measurably more awesome.

Unless you've already done this, and I just happen to not actually be the center of the Universe and so must wait in order to get responses, in which case please ignore.

(This is actually very relevant; I probably would've finished Tedaz's pic at least a week ago if Reudh hadn't taken 12 days to supply the info -- not trying to point fingers, mind; it's probably better that there was a delay, for multiple reasons)

:3

I had an exam last week, and hence I was a bit preoccupied. But yes, I shall do as you asked.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8570 on: May 29, 2013, 11:53:40 am »

Well, like I said, I wasn't really looking to point fingers. Think of it as just another Mr Frog Helpful Hint, because I've been so sparing with those lately.

Strohe's character-design sketch is now being worked on in between fits of playing the new Touhou fighter (PLAYABLE KOISHI OH MY GOD YES). Gonna practice body language/poses before doing his actual portrait, though -- my lack of ability to illustrate body language is becoming a serious handicap; Tedaz is supposed to look tense and alert in the above pic, but he just looks kinda bored. Kills the whole composition, really.

I'm hoping to be more-involved with the next thread. I feel I've grown a lot as a person in the past year or so (thanks largely in part to you all, particularly Talvi), so I'll likely be able to conduct myself more-gracefully.

E: Strohe character sketch finished.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 01:43:48 pm by Mr Frog »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8571 on: May 29, 2013, 02:58:52 pm »

25th Obsidian, 210

Casualties are as follows...

DEAD
____
Id Zuabntastrod, Fish cleaner, Head crushed with tooth marks visible
Wildhog Thimshurdodok, Woodcutter, torn apart, presumably bled out

WOUNDED
____

BP Logemrakas, Tanner, claw induced hand injury
Mincer Libadedem, Axe Lord, Hand severed by claw
Aseheru the second, Axe Lord, broken toe

No-Hair saved herself thanks to moonlighting as a miner when not training. She'd been out unjamming a trap when the first amabushes hit and one fo the spawn chased her out into the woods. When I was told this in Dauros' report of the skirmish I'd assumed she was dead, but was gratful to whatever gods may exist when she came stumbling in carrying the would-be assailant's head as proof of her feat.

Well... That was decidedly unpleasant.

26th Obsidian, 210

In fine tradition of our soldiers, Mincer has decided a silly thing like a torn off hand will not keep him from his duties. Not sure if I should be proud or concerned.

28th Obsidian, 210

The year draws to a close. As per tradition, and in light of my returning sanity, I have decided to hold a hat drawing for next Overseer.

So yeah, finally finished. My apologies for taking so godsdamned long. Population dropped by 7, from a mixture of syndrome (Poor Awl...,) construction accidents, and spawn. Save link will follow when it finishes uploading.

EDIT: Save here.

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8572 on: May 29, 2013, 09:05:25 pm »

Tahu, unsheath thine sword!

The Master

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8573 on: May 29, 2013, 09:39:06 pm »

I want this fortress to have an ending like Mass Effect 3 did. Make some character we don't even know end up actually being the equivalent of god, and the force the overseer to make a choice between three different color explosions.
Holy jesus I thought I was ready but nothing could have prepared me for this
Hush, little Asea, don't you cry.
If he notices we'll surely die!
You. Made. Asea. CRY.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8574 on: May 29, 2013, 11:13:17 pm »

I want this fortress to have an ending like Mass Effect 3 did. Make some character we don't even know end up actually being the equivalent of god, and the force the overseer to make a choice between three different color explosions.

Let's have a moratorium on forced references to blatant flamebait, shall we? Starting stupid fights is MY job.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8575 on: May 29, 2013, 11:24:22 pm »

I wish DF had multicolored explosions... All I see is grey,  or if I'm lucky orange-red  from magma, and that gets boring after a while.

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8576 on: May 30, 2013, 01:21:04 am »

Make some character we don't even know end up actually being the equivalent of god
Damn, called me out :P

Nah, LFTON's no god.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8577 on: May 30, 2013, 01:27:58 am »

Right, he's just a swordsdwarf with a severe personality disorder.

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8578 on: May 30, 2013, 01:28:59 am »

Right, he's just a swordsdwarf with a severe personality disorder.
He's also not my only character.
MUUAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHA!
...ahem.

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #8579 on: May 30, 2013, 04:45:38 pm »

Right now, I'm just dumping essentially all of our shit. Expect an update within 24 hours.
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?
Pages: 1 ... 570 571 [572] 573 574 ... 815