Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Wait for Next Version, Use current (.40.24,) or use older release (.34.11?)

Wait for the next release. I want usable mugs damn it!
- 55 (71.4%)
We can use the current one. I like the big trees and slightly smarter dorfs.
- 17 (22.1%)
I'll take .34.11 thanks. I want to know I'll get to kill things for sure.
- 5 (6.5%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Pages: 1 ... 613 614 [615] 616 617 ... 815

Author Topic: [34.11] Spearbreakers - It shudders and begins to move  (Read 2178162 times)

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
  • Venit leger cerebrum amissa
    • View Profile
Re: Spearbreakers - A Tale Of Depression, Pyromania, and Mugs. (34.11, finished)
« Reply #9210 on: October 15, 2013, 11:16:23 pm »

It was glorious. With mugs, derails, timewars and everything else. I'm even a bit sad that I haven't come here sooner... Whatever. May the sequel be even more interesting, bizarre and hilarious!
Science is always important. But it needs more flaming cats. Can't we build bridge-based catapults and fling flaming cats at the dust and goo?

It's time for the ATHATH Death Counter to increase once more in celebration for the end of the world.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
Re: Spearbreakers - A Tale Of Depression, Pyromania, and Mugs. (34.11, finished)
« Reply #9211 on: October 15, 2013, 11:43:17 pm »

It damn well better. May need to go the standardized materials route for creatures though...

TalonisWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolf Acolyte of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #9212 on: October 16, 2013, 01:46:33 pm »

In honour of the late citizens of Spearbreakers:

Spearbreaker Citizen

[url]

TalonisWolf has claimed the title of Sig-forger the Burning Champion of Lime Green!
GENERATION 32:
The first time you see this, copy it i

TalonisWolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Spearbreakers - Madness. Mayhem. Mugs. (34.11)
« Reply #9213 on: October 16, 2013, 07:36:52 pm »

someone found out how to have ammo evaporate. see the fallout mod for details.

Plasma Weaponry and Railguns for beautiful !!SCIENCE!!
TalonisWolf has claimed the title of Sig-forger the Burning Champion of Lime Green!
GENERATION 32:

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9214 on: October 16, 2013, 07:40:59 pm »

Railguns fire solid slugs. The ones we'll be making ourselves being particularly nasty. Now having Stone INC boys decide to "accidently" come along and sell us some plasma guns may be viable....

TalonisWolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Spearbreakers - Madness. Mayhem. Mugs. (34.11)
« Reply #9215 on: October 16, 2013, 08:07:29 pm »

I intend actually for a little game set in Spearbreakers' continuity but from the human perspective.

Would anyone object to making a thread somewhere were we can discuss courses of action for both this game and SBII? Or would you guys prefer discussing it here?

Sounds good to me. Prevents derailment of this thread.

Sorry for multiposts, iPad no like modify.

Did you get round to this, and if so, can you put it on OP?

Also, when SBII begins, link to that on OP would be great!
GENERATION 32:

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9216 on: October 16, 2013, 08:12:37 pm »

We haven't partially due to laziness on my part.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #9217 on: October 16, 2013, 11:53:03 pm »

I heartily support the use of a separate thread for discussion of story elements, etc.. Part of the reason I was so reluctant to share vital background info with others (resulting in a certain ‼DRAMA‼ between me and Talvi) was that I didn't want to risk spoiling anything for the people who were just interested in reading the stories and didn't need to know in advance what other writers were planning. Segregating such matters into another thread would solve that problem nicely.

E: I'm not sure if I like the idea of a huge, extravagant mod, though. What, exactly, is being added? I may have some ideas (though I haven't touched a raw file in ages).
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 12:02:28 am by Mr Frog »
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9218 on: October 17, 2013, 12:06:47 am »

Primarily weapons and armor (and of course the required things to make said weapons and armor,) some more varied spawn-based critters and a spawn megabeast, and some extra races, such as the scythod and Parasol/Ballpoint stranded to either enemies or additional trade partners.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #9219 on: October 17, 2013, 01:38:06 am »

(and of course the required things to make said weapons and armor,)

I personally would avoid having large production chains unless the player doesn't have to mass-produce them. Anything much more complicated than steelmaking rapidly becomes a screaming headache to manage over a long term (at least for me).

some more varied spawn-based critters and a spawn megabeast, and some extra races

I think this might be able to be linked in with the above stuff. I think the new firearms (i.e. disc launchers and railguns) should be easy-ish to make by themselves (if only to save some frustration), but the actual ammo should be more-difficult to produce so as to make it too valuable to waste on puny crap like goblins -- players will have to save it for the nastier late-game critters. New melee weapons should be very powerful (there are enough 'normal' weapons in vanilla -- don't bother adding any more), but absurdly-costly to produce to account for the fact that they don't ever wear out.

My biggest concern is to avoid the Big Ball o' Junk syndrome lots of large mods seem to get. Make sure whatever is put in serves an actual gameplay purpose beyond just being there for the sake of being there, and that said purpose isn't already covered by something already present (i.e. avoid redundancy).

E: I also think there should be a hostile critter of some sort which is capable of harming dwarves remotely at a great distance without direct LOS (possible through interactions -- I did it by accident while trying to make Greater Spawn a while back). Should be a nasty surprise for turtlers >:]

E2: Developing the idea further... the creature uses an interaction that targets a single nonallied creature anywhere, regardless of whether there's a direct LOS. If successful, the interaction will cause the affected creature to go berserk for a brief period of time -- the chance of success is very low, but still non-zero, meaning that the entire fortress is at risk until the creatures responsible are forcibly driven out. This could be tied in with one of the new Spawn subspecies -- something along the lines of their cries driving dwarves mad.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 02:01:32 am by Mr Frog »
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9220 on: October 17, 2013, 02:28:39 am »

Actually I had it the other way around in mind, with the slugs for the railguns and discs being easy to make (though the slugs I was thinking need to be iron,) but the weapons taking more materials (and thus more time) to produce. Most vanilla weapons for the dwarves will be replaced by "native" copies of leftovers from the battle at Spearbreakers or designed by Mr Frog (things like chain weapons needing small mechanisms and chains or railguns needing magnetite rails for example.) The crossbow I think will be the exception as until we have the time and parts for things like the disc launchers and railguns themselves we'll need those to stand in for them.

The only real syndromes that appears to be present outside the radiation zone ones are the new ones meant for domestic creatures and possibly the scythod for spawnification (assuming a dog, donkey, or what have you survives a run in with a spawn, just for added paranoia if animals get stuck in.)

I will say four our needs the railguns the stranded Ballpoint and Parasol personnel bring will be significantly less powerful by a very large margin and breaking them down for spare parts will probably be the better option there. to elaborate

1 native railgun requires the following

The disc launcher would be much simpler. My personal vision being either just needing a crossbow to be reporuposed/modified or a crossbow and "disc launcher arms" tool, which would be possible for either a wood or metalcrafter to make. Ammo for combat would need to be made of any weapons grade metal though. I tried the bone and wood discs and they just made the things they hit mad while copper discs took off limbs.

Of the weapons, all the chain weapons would require a chain, power cell, and two small mechanisms. Chain weapons would be intended to shred through armor like it didn't exist, hence the need for things like the small mechanisms and power cells to make them.

Essentially a bare minimum of much more basic weapons would be on hand for production, since the better stuff would take alot of time/resources to make. For example:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Other cultures would of course have the likes of weaker railgun variants, blackpowder weapons, and  other such things for us to use too.

.... I got a little too into that, and a lot of it losses coherency even to me but you get the idea. Honestly I kinda favor long production chains to get a single hard hitting weapon. Getting everything made and finally assembled and it getting inaugurated with a spawn or goblin exploding into gristle on the tree behind it when struck... Ahh....

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9221 on: October 17, 2013, 06:43:48 am »

In honour of the late citizens of Spearbreakers:

Spearbreaker Citizen

FTFY

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9222 on: October 17, 2013, 09:28:07 am »

Oh wow, you guys finished? Congratulations!

Whatever happened to my dwarf? Did he end up dying horribly?
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9223 on: October 17, 2013, 09:52:40 am »

I think he was among those who died on The Grim 18th. If not he survived unharmed physically but probably psychologically desensitized to all manner of horror like everyone else.

tomio175

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9224 on: October 17, 2013, 12:23:36 pm »

How 'bout my dorf?
...You're arguing with the GM? Why don't you argue with Jesus about how much Peter liked clams?
Because each player's delicious tears are fuel for the continued torture that is the Warrens of Oric the Awesome.
Pages: 1 ... 613 614 [615] 616 617 ... 815