Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Wait for Next Version, Use current (.40.24,) or use older release (.34.11?)

Wait for the next release. I want usable mugs damn it!
- 55 (71.4%)
We can use the current one. I like the big trees and slightly smarter dorfs.
- 17 (22.1%)
I'll take .34.11 thanks. I want to know I'll get to kill things for sure.
- 5 (6.5%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Pages: 1 ... 634 635 [636] 637 638 ... 815

Author Topic: [34.11] Spearbreakers - It shudders and begins to move  (Read 2178478 times)

ChaosMaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Spearbreakers - A Tale Of Depression, Pyromania, and Mugs. (34.11, finished)
« Reply #9525 on: November 12, 2013, 11:22:26 pm »

really?

a death machine of hell....given its 4 arms...and can hear any sound made?

The best damn surgeon ever...or the best butcher ever, take your pick.

at spearbreakers, the hospital was a death-sentence untill mitch's reformation.
<Chaos? Normal-, Death on untold levels? eeehhh need more popcorn, Adamantium? Shiney! The Circus? Isnt that where the clowns live? Burning elves and using their race as a insult-Definetly a dwarf!>
<dying's half the fun, and all the FUN!>-Grombardrim

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
Re: Spearbreakers - A Tale Of Depression, Pyromania, and Mugs. (34.11, finished)
« Reply #9526 on: November 12, 2013, 11:26:46 pm »

Surgeon, no, butcher yes. You kind of need eyes to perform surgery properly and I always just imagined the Scythod on Everoc just making crude plates and bolting them on once they found the hole and considering that "treated."

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9527 on: November 12, 2013, 11:48:34 pm »

Reudh, really sorry! So, so sorry. I was going to write out that reply for you weeks ago. >.< I'll get to work on it right away.

And, Splint, thought you might be interested in seeing this. http://tnypic.net/f1d88.png

Cynm - most definitely not. They aren't dextrous enough for something like that, and as Splint pointed out, they don't have eyes. Would make a great mad doctor, though. I feel sorry for his/her patients. If you didn't read the chapters I wrote about them, though, you should... especially if you want to make a scythod character. http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=119562.msg3882319#msg3882319  (start a little above, at the end of the chapter before it.)

Baffler - here. http://tnypic.net/i9fpd.jpg   Pretty sure that's what you're referring to. completely off-topic and unrelated to Spearbreakers in every way.

TalonisWolf:
Things less certain:

-Chainswords/pikes/whatnot in various states of assembly

-Old Overseer reports from term in "office"

-Glass test tubes

-Portal(He wouldn't have it in plain sight)

-Reports on Spawn, Zombies, etc.

Am I forgetting anything? What are your opinions?
Mr Frog's room, despite being unlocked a lot of the time, is just about never entered by anyone else in the fortress due to either superstition, paranoia, respect, or some combination of the above. Mr Frog never bothers with hiding his stuff - that's actually a long-standing running gag from the early days, way back when Draignean was boss. His portal was used by everyone - Ballpoint, Parasol, or Eris - to get in and out of the fortress, so yes, it was in plain sight. I guess he could have glass test tubes... I put in the socks as him utilizing improvised equipment. Chainpikes and chainswords aren't necessarily a must, but would definitely add to everything - but there would only likely be one or two prototypes. Nothing mass-produced, of course.

anyway, that's my thoughts on it.

HANSLANDA!!! Welcome back!
« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 02:02:51 am by Talvieno »
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9528 on: November 13, 2013, 01:55:57 am »

Talvieno, have I mentioned I love you? I'd love to see that thing finished.

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9529 on: November 13, 2013, 04:38:51 am »

Hanslada :D You're back!
Continuing the tradition of everyone returning AFTER the fortress is done :P

Cynm

• Bay Watcher
  • For the Swarm
    • View Profile
« Reply #9530 on: November 13, 2013, 10:32:47 am »

@Talvieno I have actually re-read those chapters a few times and I have gone through the raws. I didn't really see any mention of a scythod's relative dexterity. I don't want to write a half-assed character.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Edit: I played a little with the Spearbreakers mod, the flashing exclamation point on irradiated dwarves is kinda annoying, it makes it hard to see other status effects. Especially if you're in a savage biome and everything is irradiated. On an unrelated note, one of my dwarves arms rotted off the instant I embarked.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 10:36:57 am by Cynm »
"In case of stairs, use fire"

TalonisWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolf Acolyte of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #9531 on: November 13, 2013, 03:03:38 pm »

I've got a thumbnail done which pretty much sets up the theme, and went to Imgur to post, hit "upload", then "device"... and it froze. Tried again...and it froze. Does Imgur not work well for Ipad? If so, any suggustions for alternatives?

Don't want to draw the full piece and and find out I got the atmospere of his room wrong. I did something similar once on another piece, and found out I spelt a name wrong...never going to hear the end of all the fun at my expense...
TalonisWolf has claimed the title of Sig-forger the Burning Champion of Lime Green!
GENERATION 32:
The first time you see this, copy it i

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9532 on: November 13, 2013, 03:17:29 pm »

Talvieno, have I mentioned I love you? I'd love to see that thing finished.
Lol, Splint. :P Thought you'd like it. It'll get finished, no worries. Might start on another one for you after, too, if you have a suggestion as to what I should make. I need the practice.

@Talvieno I have actually re-read those chapters a few times and I have gone through the raws. I didn't really see any mention of a scythod's relative dexterity. I don't want to write a half-assed character.

Edit: I played a little with the Spearbreakers mod, the flashing exclamation point on irradiated dwarves is kinda annoying, it makes it hard to see other status effects. Especially if you're in a savage biome and everything is irradiated. On an unrelated note, one of my dwarves arms rotted off the instant I embarked.
My apologies then. You've certainly done your research. lol   I'm both pleased and impressed. :P If your writing is as good as your research, I'd be honored if you made a scythod character.

As to echolocation, I honestly hadn't thought of it. I hadn't had them hear anything outside the normal range of human hearing, but that's primarily because of two things: First, I didn't want them to have a replacement for sight - just an alternative, so it really felt like they were lacking something. Second, I honestly didn't think of that either.

Yes, their bodies are extremely sensitive to vibrations and touch. I think in one chapter, Scylk gives a crude weather forecast by telling of the moisture in the air and the atmospheric pressure - which might be a bit over the top, if I'm being truthful with myself. Still, yeah, I think it's entirely possible they can "hear" sounds outside of the normal range of hearing by relying on their sensitive chitin. (Also, interesting note - ingame, they're particularly susceptible to pain. It was unintended, but it's interesting nonetheless - might make for a good story point.) I don't think that it would be enough to call it echolocation, though.

As to their tactile dexterity... Their top, lower arms are scythes with a webbed/pointed tip, and their lower set of arms simply end in curved, clawlike fingers. I think that wielding a scalpel with any degree of precision might be a little more than they could handle... but I suppose it's possible. I wouldn't count on a professional level of accuracy with a scythod surgeon, but hey. :P

fakeedit: ninja'd. I miss getting ninja'd all the time.
Talonis - I'm sure you're fine. :P This is what I use to upload pics: http://tnypic.net/  Just make an account there. It's free, for one thing, and as long as you have an account, they never delete anything you upload. Easy to link to as well. Imgshack has a tendency to randomly delete/overwrite your pictures, and photobucket has a tendency to BLOCK your pictures after they reach a certain number of views.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 03:19:25 pm by Talvieno »
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

TalonisWolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9533 on: November 13, 2013, 04:11:29 pm »

Alright! Here is a "thumbnail" I'm using to figure out how I'm goiing to go about this...

So what do you think? Any questions, comments, or (most importantly) concerns?

...next time I'll go darker on the lines and make it BIGGER so it's easier to see, me thinks. Sorry! Do I resize in another program?
TalonisWolf has claimed the title of Sig-forger the Burning Champion of Lime Green!
GENERATION 32:

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9534 on: November 13, 2013, 04:13:34 pm »

Better than mine.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

TalonisWolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9535 on: November 13, 2013, 04:18:43 pm »

Double Post because of some glitch with internet and editing...

Click the image aboe and it "should" get enlarged. I apologize for my inexperience (and internet) causing difficulties, you may now troll me via PM.

...and ninja'd.

Aseaheru, I cannot due any better than you can digitally... I'm just really good with some old fashioned pencil.
GENERATION 32:

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9536 on: November 13, 2013, 04:20:03 pm »

Realized that.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

TalonisWolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9537 on: November 13, 2013, 04:27:25 pm »

...In that case?

In errors I've made which conflict with Mr.Frog's charecter?

I.e Did I make his furniture a bit too opulent? Is his chemistry equipment a bit outdated, even with his limited resources? (fill this with question I didn't  put in)?
GENERATION 32:

TalonisWolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9538 on: November 13, 2013, 04:28:58 pm »

IGNORE THE PERIOD IN MR FROG'S NAME!!!
GENERATION 32:

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #9539 on: November 13, 2013, 04:39:03 pm »

IGNORE THE PERIOD IN MR FROG'S NAME!!!

Too late ♥  If some sort of terrible misfortune happens to befall you at some point in the (possibly not-so-)near future, you'll know why it happened ♥

I think everyone's better with pencil. It's easier to get all the subtle shading right and you don't have to worry about the touch screen being miscalibrated (friggin' 3DS).

What little I can make out in the thumbnail seems satisfactory. The perspective feels a touch wonky, as hypocritical as it is for me, of all people, to point that out (it's certainly better than anything I could manage). I like the fine details (I don't typically have the patience to draw those in), and you have a decent eye for shading and contrast.
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies
Pages: 1 ... 634 635 [636] 637 638 ... 815