Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Wait for Next Version, Use current (.40.24,) or use older release (.34.11?)

Wait for the next release. I want usable mugs damn it!
- 55 (71.4%)
We can use the current one. I like the big trees and slightly smarter dorfs.
- 17 (22.1%)
I'll take .34.11 thanks. I want to know I'll get to kill things for sure.
- 5 (6.5%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Pages: 1 ... 637 638 [639] 640 641 ... 815

Author Topic: [34.11] Spearbreakers - It shudders and begins to move  (Read 2178731 times)

Cynm

• Bay Watcher
  • For the Swarm
    • View Profile
Re: Spearbreakers - A Tale Of Depression, Pyromania, and Mugs. (34.11, finished)
« Reply #9570 on: November 17, 2013, 09:55:11 pm »

I've been playing with the mod and felt the need to show this. This is the aftermath of a short altercation between a dwarf with a railgun and a berserk miner. There was no blood before this picture.

The railgunner won.
"In case of stairs, use fire"

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
Re: Spearbreakers - A Tale Of Depression, Pyromania, and Mugs. (34.11, finished)
« Reply #9571 on: November 17, 2013, 10:02:12 pm »

I'm somewhat concerned as to what exactly happened there and what drove the miner insane to begin with.

Cynm

• Bay Watcher
  • For the Swarm
    • View Profile
« Reply #9572 on: November 17, 2013, 11:37:09 pm »

Everyone is miserable because of all the migrants and children lost to elven ambushes. And that one mega-spawn in the second year. I have to execute a berserk dwarf every few minutes.
"In case of stairs, use fire"

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9573 on: November 17, 2013, 11:43:37 pm »

For those who like the behavior of vanilla with mostly none of the micromanagement most mods insist upon, we have promising news for you.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9574 on: November 17, 2013, 11:45:31 pm »

For those who like the behavior of vanilla with mostly none of the micromanagement most mods insist upon, we have promising news for you.

Do tell.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9575 on: November 17, 2013, 11:48:21 pm »

Why the spearbreakers mod of course good sir! Tired of having to embark on terrifying biomes and shit-rain soaked glaciers for genuine !!FUN!! all the time? Then look no further! Find the most promising of spots, a calm, ore and coal rich land, and watch as your people are still hopelessly massacred by Spawn of epic proportions, morbidly obese belly dancers manatee people, and alien invaders!

You'll never want for !!FUN!! again, if you don't hide in a hole like a bitch that is!

And even then, that might not save you...

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9576 on: November 18, 2013, 01:02:32 am »

Why the spearbreakers mod of course good sir! Tired of having to embark on terrifying biomes and shit-rain soaked glaciers for genuine !!FUN!! all the time? Then look no further! Find the most promising of spots, a calm, ore and coal rich land, and watch as your people are still hopelessly massacred by Spawn of epic proportions, morbidly obese belly dancers manatee people, and alien invaders!

You'll never want for !!FUN!! again, if you don't hide in a hole like a bitch that is!

And even then, that might not save you...

Hey! Urist McMays here with a special DF offer..!

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9577 on: November 18, 2013, 01:10:53 am »

I spent about an hour or two making this earlier when I lost access for a while... it doesn't look as good as it might... but...

ANATOMICAL PROBLEMS:
  • The scythes aren't large enough or heavy enough. They're rounded too much, too. The points ought to stick more forwards at an 185 degree angle to the outer edge of the scythe.
  • The legspikes are far too short.
  • Don't get me started on the claws. Don't. Get. Me. Started. I know they don't even look like claws.
  • The upper arms aren't sturdy enough.
  • The lower arms aren't sturdy enough.
  • The body isn't quite long enough.
  • Just a bunch of other nitpicky things.

Also, I can't animate yet. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ydf52rKcsuc <--- Proof.

I also can't sleep. :\ Which is unusual for me now.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 01:43:34 am by Talvieno »
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9578 on: November 18, 2013, 01:13:17 am »

There you have it folks, that's the sort of pants shittingly horrifying thing we'll get to fight.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9579 on: November 18, 2013, 01:37:16 am »

A short summary of the scythod as I know them. Please point out any and all mistakes and I will fix them. Spoilered for being a wall-o-text.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Scythod are not inherently hostile, although many share a cultural hatred of dwarves and humans, by reason of the fact that Ballpoint took them from their homes and forced them to work pretty much as slaves, as they put little to no value on Ballpoint's money. Their hostility primarily stems from how it was practically forced upon them on their homeworld of Piscyth. If you were a wuss and didn't fight, you got killed or starved to death.

Ballpoint is the only timewar company that abducted scythods. Parasol is mainly dwarven (with humans in lesser positions), and they don't think much of other races. I'd go as far as to say they're a bit snobbish about it.

I'm not sure where you're getting the scythe pointing towards the ground... They have two scythes, and are somewhat dextrous with them - but overall, the scythes are primarily just weapons, and rather clunky when it comes to detailed work.

I think I loosely modeled their chitin after copper and some other metal/stone, I think - can't remember which.

You forgot that their society puts a huge emphasis on it being honorable to be eaten by your own kind. It stems from their predatory nature, the scarcity of food, and how they weren't apex predators at the top of their food chain on Piscyth. If a scythod died and was eaten by another species, especially one that was stronger, the meat from that scythod was potentially forever lost. Not being eaten meant you weren't good enough even for the starving to feed on you, and was basically the greatest insult possible, particularly to living kin. Thus, it was honorable to be eaten, and more so by your own kind. Not only that, but scythods absolutely detest wasting food - it's more or less part of who they are, in the same way that some terrestrial species gorge themselves on whatever they can.

Everything else looks just about right! I'm impressed. I'd forgotten some of that myself.

@Talvieno part of the problem with the radiation mod is that it's effects are inherently random. In game evil weather doesn't have a status marker or change the dwarf's name, but there is usually only one effect per biome, whereas the radiation can have many effects. If possible, a good fix would be to include a visual cue in the environment that there is radiation. Dead grass or trees could indicate radiation, rather than a tag or graphic. You would have to check your dwarves for the specific symptoms but you have to do that anyway.

Also, good work on the railgun. Comments: The stock looks a little to round to me. Also I think it would be cooler if the barrel looked different. The extra barrel is unnecessary as there is no propellant in a railgun. Any space not spent accelerating is time spent slowing down. The magnetic coils and/or rails should probably go to the end of the gun.
First part: Can't be done. Radiation zones don't have their own biome - they're randomly plopped into savage wilderness with either a 25% or 50% chance of being placed. If you kill the grass for one zone, you kill it for all savage areas, making that useless as a telltale sign. You see my dilemma here. =P

Second part - Hmmmmm... Yeah, you're right, it doesn't need the extra barrel, although the flash hider could still be useful - particularly because railgun slugs have been known, in real life, to ignite the air around them as they leave the barrel.

I could fix the stock, but a lot of it is just solely based on Splint's original design.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 01:39:20 am by Talvieno »

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9580 on: November 18, 2013, 01:44:23 am »

There you have it folks, that's the sort of pants shittingly horrifying thing we'll get to fight.
pants-shittingly horrifying? I know my modeling skills aren't the best, but really - pants-shittingly horrifying? ;)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9581 on: November 18, 2013, 01:50:13 am »

pants-shittingly horrifying? I know my modeling skills aren't the best, but really - pants-shittingly horrifying? ;)

Just imagine that after you've had the time to hone your skills. Pants shittingly horrifying.

And where was there a second barrel on the Eris railgun?  Nevermind, I saw what was meant. I never actually had a barrel in the shot, but you gotta admit it kinda looks cool. Not that I look it over though there's a bunch of errors that were made that are likely my fault due to the presentation.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9582 on: November 18, 2013, 02:00:08 am »

I meant to imply I'd taken it as an insult, but the joke failed, I suppose. AND.

See the right third of the upper receiver? I added one of those onto your railgun. The edge of the picture cut the tip of your railgun off, so I just added what looked "right":

See above pic, and you can tell what I added pretty quickly. The little piece at the end of the barrel with the holes in it? That's the flash hider. It's an important part of any assault weapon because it hides an otherwise glaringly bright flash... I figured it wouldn't hurt to add one onto the railgun too. Made it look better, in my opinion. But Cynm is right - the extra barrel length doesn't really need to be there.

edit: you edited while I was posting. If you see any errors, let me know so I can fix them. =P It's not overly difficult to change a few things, so long as I don't have to do a complete overhaul of the build. Might be easier to start over from scratch with a new picture at that point.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 02:05:53 am by Talvieno »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9583 on: November 18, 2013, 02:05:02 am »

I was more referring to the optics rail, scope, and the stock being fused for errors, and I probably would have wound up with  a small bit of barrel and the flash hider, though not quite that long.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9584 on: November 18, 2013, 02:10:23 am »

I was more referring to the optics rail, scope, and the stock being fused for errors, and I probably would have wound up with  a small bit of barrel and the flash hider, though not quite that long.

Hmm, yes... I see your point. I also see now that I colored and even modeled a little bit of it wrong, in relation to the optics. I'm not entirely sure how that happened. :\

To Mr Frog and Reudh: I will most certainly reply to your emails sometime tomorrow. I'm really sorry it's taken so long.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 02:12:00 am by Talvieno »
Pages: 1 ... 637 638 [639] 640 641 ... 815