Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Wait for Next Version, Use current (.40.24,) or use older release (.34.11?)

Wait for the next release. I want usable mugs damn it!
- 55 (71.4%)
We can use the current one. I like the big trees and slightly smarter dorfs.
- 17 (22.1%)
I'll take .34.11 thanks. I want to know I'll get to kill things for sure.
- 5 (6.5%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Pages: 1 ... 638 639 [640] 641 642 ... 815

Author Topic: [34.11] Spearbreakers - It shudders and begins to move  (Read 2191366 times)

Cynm

• Bay Watcher
  • For the Swarm
    • View Profile
Re: Spearbreakers - A Tale Of Depression, Pyromania, and Mugs. (34.11, finished)
« Reply #9585 on: November 18, 2013, 02:46:45 am »

I've edited the Urist's Handbook for Foolhardy Adventurers chapter on the scythod to better reflect talvieno's vision for them.

For the scythes pointing downwards, the original outline of a scythod you posted had triple jointed scythe arms with all the joints facing the same way. When I thought about the scythes as weapons, I realized that they would be more effective if the second joint faced the opposite direction. It would give the scythes a much greater range of motion, especially for blocking attacks. As a bonus, that would allow the scythod to brace itself with six points of contact, instead of four. Downward facing scythes made more sense to me.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 03:02:10 am by Cynm »
"In case of stairs, use fire"

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
Re: Spearbreakers - A Tale Of Depression, Pyromania, and Mugs. (34.11, finished)
« Reply #9587 on: November 18, 2013, 01:22:46 pm »

I've edited the Urist's Handbook for Foolhardy Adventurers chapter on the scythod to better reflect talvieno's vision for them.

For the scythes pointing downwards, the original outline of a scythod you posted had triple jointed scythe arms with all the joints facing the same way. When I thought about the scythes as weapons, I realized that they would be more effective if the second joint faced the opposite direction. It would give the scythes a much greater range of motion, especially for blocking attacks. As a bonus, that would allow the scythod to brace itself with six points of contact, instead of four. Downward facing scythes made more sense to me.

Here is a sketch of my vision of a scythod (before the 3d model was posted)

The legs look a little weird, but you can see how I saw the scythes.
Oh, those look nice... The legs really do look off, and the lower arms are messed up a bit... The body is a tad too big for my tastes... Also, they're not ten feet high, I wouldn't think. They're naturally closer to an average of eight and a half, I guess, although they can stretch a lot higher, if they try to stand as tall as possible. How much higher? I'm not entirely certain, but you've seen how they're built. They definitely have the potential to stand taller if they want. lol

I like those scythes, though... I like my old ones (which I somehow forgot an entire limb segment on in that picture I posted), but I like those... they have a degree of movement they ought to be able to manage.

I think, perhaps... that... their arms could stay the way they are now (plus the missing limb portion)... except I could just have them be capable of moving like that.
Also, the limbstalk is called a limbstalk because it's literally just a stalk that the upper arms sprout off of - it's weak enough ingame that a scythod can have its upper arms AND neckstalk cut off all in one stroke, if the stroke and blade are powerful enough. Interestingly, as all the major organs are in other parts of the body, severing the limbstalk doesn't kill the scythod right away. It's kind of how I intended it, for one reason or another... I can't remember why.

Also, I can't animate yet. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ydf52rKcsuc <--- Proof.

Scythod War Dance.
Lol, Reudh. XD No, I was just trying to get their neckstalk to move and "look around". :P I screwed up really badly. It moved whole pieces elsewhere. I'm still not sure why. I'm guessing I made the bones too big, or gave the envelope/bone stuff too large of a radius, or something.
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #9588 on: November 18, 2013, 01:40:25 pm »

@Talvieno:

Honestly, I'm going to go ahead and pardon any future slowness to respond on your part in advance. You're a lot busier now.

I actually think I did a drawing of a scythod a long time ago. I'll see if I can dig it up. Probably won't be quite what you were imagining, but it could be good for a laugh.

Sorry for the delay re: the seqivet drawing; I keep forgetting to work on it :-[

@Cynm:

I am tickled that you appear to be using my tileset :3
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9589 on: November 18, 2013, 02:14:33 pm »

@Talvieno:

Honestly, I'm going to go ahead and pardon any future slowness to respond on your part in advance. You're a lot busier now.

I actually think I did a drawing of a scythod a long time ago. I'll see if I can dig it up. Probably won't be quite what you were imagining, but it could be good for a laugh.

Sorry for the delay re: the seqivet drawing; I keep forgetting to work on it :-[

@Cynm:

I am tickled that you appear to be using my tileset :3
Fear not, I kept true to my promise. :P The response is made, and you have a new PM. (Super Talv saves the day again!) (and you know I say that with heavy irony, I hope. I'm not quite that full of myself.) (edit: actually, I don't think "irony" is the word I'm looking for here.)

I'd greatly enjoy seeing that scythod pic, if you can find it. Also, Splint, what happened to that other Vanya picture you were drawing? I'd be interested to see it.

And... it would be very cool to see a seqiv. :P

Aseaheru, I missed you saying it originally: Yeah, I guess I could potentially make some of Stone Inc.'s stuff - but it would depend on what it was, and if the picture you made of it was flat, etc. You saw I had some slight issues with staying true to Splint's design, so you couldn't expect anything perfect. Still not sure how I managed to mess up there...

« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 02:16:37 pm by Talvieno »
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9590 on: November 18, 2013, 02:17:02 pm »

That drawing is more in line with  how I pictured the Scythod's upper limbs honestly (though I went overboard in my imagination and envisioned them large enough to allow better stability to fire a gun/crossbow from a standing position...) It's probably because they share a general shape to the praying mantis.

EDIT: Damn it, ninja'd. That hasn't happened in a long time. I completely forgot about alot of stuff I was going to work on (shamefully, Vanya was among them. I'll need a refresher  on what you wanted.)

Cynm

• Bay Watcher
  • For the Swarm
    • View Profile
« Reply #9591 on: November 18, 2013, 03:09:59 pm »

I imagine that a scythod could fire a crossbow or railgun, but probably not with any sort of accuracy. Actually, a scythod could probable fire a much larger weapon than a dwarf or human could. If I remember correctly though, most if not all scythod eschew weapons and tools in favor of their scythes.

@Frog
It is certainly your tileset, it's my favorite square tile set yet.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9592 on: November 18, 2013, 03:37:53 pm »

I always imagined Ballpoint and Sewaturet used specially made ranged weapons for them, coupled with a phony "head" that hooks into their nervous system so that they can fight among other races more effectively, since constant frying air and firearms discharges, among other things, would probably severely hamper their ability to tell who is who without them.

Plus there's always that added "OH FUCK" factor of shooting something in what you thought was its head only for it to turn and angrily charge and subsequently tear you to shreds.

Also, a note on the arm-scythes, they're somewhat less effective than the leg-spikes. Not sure if that's intentional or not.

ChaosMaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9593 on: November 18, 2013, 10:51:56 pm »

spearbreakers= where everythings not killy enough for everyone, so we keep making more and more monstrous monsters that have the potential to break the fort to peices each damn day.
<Chaos? Normal-, Death on untold levels? eeehhh need more popcorn, Adamantium? Shiney! The Circus? Isnt that where the clowns live? Burning elves and using their race as a insult-Definetly a dwarf!>
<dying's half the fun, and all the FUN!>-Grombardrim

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #9594 on: November 19, 2013, 02:31:16 am »

Also, Splint, what happened to that other Vanya picture you were drawing? I'd be interested to see it.

Crap. This reminded me that I still have those three art requests from you that I haven't done. Not sure if you still care, but this nevertheless represents an unspeakable lapse on my part :V  Terribly-sorry.

And... it would be very cool to see a seqiv. :P

Whatever you're picturing in your head is probably infinitely more awesome than what I'll actually end up posting, just FYI.
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

Cynm

• Bay Watcher
  • For the Swarm
    • View Profile
« Reply #9595 on: November 19, 2013, 04:37:03 am »

I think one of the coolest things about a succession game is seeing so many disparate ideas and visions, coming together to create a, more or less, cohesive whole. Same thing with these new creatures. Everyone has an idea of how they look, and as people post their visions the creatures inch closer and closer towards a final image. In other words, the awesomeness doesn't just come from the quality of the art, but from the fact that all of you care enough about this game and these creations to share them with the world.

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9596 on: November 19, 2013, 04:56:45 am »

I think one of the coolest things about a succession game is seeing so many disparate ideas and visions, coming together to create a, more or less, cohesive whole. Same thing with these new creatures. Everyone has an idea of how they look, and as people post their visions the creatures inch closer and closer towards a final image. In other words, the awesomeness doesn't just come from the quality of the art, but from the fact that all of you care enough about this game and these creations to share them with the world.

*salutes*

ChaosMaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9597 on: November 19, 2013, 10:46:11 pm »

*salutes*

*salutes as well*

may spearbreakers continue to die a horribly agaonizing death in the name of !!FUN!!
<Chaos? Normal-, Death on untold levels? eeehhh need more popcorn, Adamantium? Shiney! The Circus? Isnt that where the clowns live? Burning elves and using their race as a insult-Definetly a dwarf!>
<dying's half the fun, and all the FUN!>-Grombardrim

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9598 on: November 19, 2013, 11:15:24 pm »

Here's what I had in my own head for Scythod. Crappy, probably not very legible on the dark backdrop, and underneath a very choppy version of their hands.

Huh. Used a much larger canvas than I thought I did.

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9599 on: November 19, 2013, 11:33:27 pm »

I see those things and I reckon they'd sound like Vaaki (?) from the (really fucking old but not the oldest) Bionicle sets (well, second movie)... Many clicks and screeches.
Pages: 1 ... 638 639 [640] 641 642 ... 815