Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Wait for Next Version, Use current (.40.24,) or use older release (.34.11?)

Wait for the next release. I want usable mugs damn it!
- 55 (71.4%)
We can use the current one. I like the big trees and slightly smarter dorfs.
- 17 (22.1%)
I'll take .34.11 thanks. I want to know I'll get to kill things for sure.
- 5 (6.5%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Pages: 1 ... 639 640 [641] 642 643 ... 815

Author Topic: [34.11] Spearbreakers - It shudders and begins to move  (Read 2178321 times)

Cynm

• Bay Watcher
  • For the Swarm
    • View Profile
Re: Spearbreakers - A Tale Of Depression, Pyromania, and Mugs. (34.11, finished)
« Reply #9600 on: November 20, 2013, 12:22:40 am »

@Splint
I really like how that scythod looks. The carapace on the back makes it look the scythod has wings though. I imagined the claws being thiner and longer. If I'm completely honest, those claws look a little sausagey but that might just be the perspective.
"In case of stairs, use fire"

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
Re: Spearbreakers - A Tale Of Depression, Pyromania, and Mugs. (34.11, finished)
« Reply #9601 on: November 20, 2013, 12:29:45 am »

It just looked better to me honestly. And the claw came out more sausage-y than I would have liked, but considering both were done in the span of about 6 minutes they're better than expected.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #9602 on: November 21, 2013, 06:43:52 pm »

Image of a seqiv:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I also took the liberty of making a Urist's Handbook entry for the seqivet (sorry for horning in on your idea, Cynm):

Finally, here's that drawing of a scythod:
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9603 on: November 21, 2013, 10:41:36 pm »

Probably the closest approximation to a seqiv would be the tiny wandering tribes of of jungle stranglers and the massive bands of dark stranglers that plague Everoc, and that's only because of the four arms. 

Liked the images, the Scythod one made think more that was some kind of relative to the clicking terrifying mantids we know and love/shit ourselves at the sight of.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9604 on: November 21, 2013, 11:50:36 pm »

the Scythod one made think more that was some kind of relative to the clicking terrifying mantids we know and love/shit ourselves at the sight of.

Well, honestly, I just screwed up and thought that all four of their arms were grasps and that the blades just popped out of the sides when needed, but I suppose I could BS and say that some scythod have a recessive genetic anomaly that causes the scythe-arms to be replaced by an additional set of claws. (With Talvi's permission, of course :3)

E: Also, random idea: Since it's established that all seqivet are telepathic to a limited extent in order to work their cloaking ability, perhaps some seqivet can learn to use their innate telepathy for other tasks, such as erasing memories or implanting suggestions.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2013, 12:55:13 am by Mr Frog »
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Cynm

• Bay Watcher
  • For the Swarm
    • View Profile
« Reply #9605 on: November 22, 2013, 02:20:52 am »

I like the drawing of the seqiv, it's a lot like I how I imagined them looking. Though I didn't realize that the eyes didn't go all the way around. On a different note, something about that image makes that particular seqiv look like a rebellious teen. I could see it(him?) smoking a -Frog Moss Cigarette- on a dwarven street corner somewhere.

I think it would be amazing if we had an Urist's Handbook entry for the new races (and maybe the old ones too) as sort of a reference for the sequel. Maybe even entries for the new weapons too. I'll see about making a few more.

Scythod from different regions of their planet could feasibly have developed specialized scythes: slicing scythes, stabbing scythes, crushing scythes etc.

For seqivet being able to use their telepathic abilities on other creatures, change erasing memories to suppressing memories and I would be all for it.
"In case of stairs, use fire"

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9606 on: November 22, 2013, 04:49:33 am »

[Completely unrelated]
I was messing around with Spawn, Seqivet and Scythods in the arena with some other creatures, both vanilla and modded, and it seems that all are weak to huge barbed tongues being lashed at them.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9607 on: November 22, 2013, 05:50:47 pm »

I imagine that a scythod could fire a crossbow or railgun, but probably not with any sort of accuracy. Actually, a scythod could probable fire a much larger weapon than a dwarf or human could. If I remember correctly though, most if not all scythod eschew weapons and tools in favor of their scythes.
In the latter chapters of the Parasol Trench arc, I had Klade and K'bahth learn to use some sort of Parasol plasma-based gun with a pretty fair degree of accuracy. They couldn't hit a stationary target, of course, but they could hear where their target is (having 3d auditory processing instead of 2d like a human), hear where their shots are impacting, and then compensate to make sure their shots hit. Wielding a gun doesn't require much in the way of precision, as far as how clumsily you hold it. They'd have to have some custom weapons, of course, to make sure they could actually reach the trigger to fire them (I kind of glazed over that part), but it would be possible.
I also at two points where three different Scythods were noting that switching to weapons might prove beneficial in the long run - first Scylk, and then Klade/K'bahth.

I always imagined Ballpoint and Sewaturet used specially made ranged weapons for them, coupled with a phony "head" that hooks into their nervous system so that they can fight among other races more effectively, since constant frying air and firearms discharges, among other things, would probably severely hamper their ability to tell who is who without them.

Plus there's always that added "OH FUCK" factor of shooting something in what you thought was its head only for it to turn and angrily charge and subsequently tear you to shreds.

Also, a note on the arm-scythes, they're somewhat less effective than the leg-spikes. Not sure if that's intentional or not.
The head isn't completely necessary - if you had friendly sentients wear a sort of "buzzer" attached to their suits that would emit a particular tone so long as the sentient was still alive, then a scythod could probably use that to distinguish between friend and foe. It's simpler, and gives the story option of having someone don a Ballpoint suit to stay alive amidst them. Well, if Ballpoint still has scythods... I don't think I ever touched on that point.

The leg-spikes are considerably more powerful than the armscythes, yes. I didn't want it that way, but DF does what DF wants. I suppose it makes sense, in a way. Stabby tends to penetrate more than slicey.

Also, Splint, what happened to that other Vanya picture you were drawing? I'd be interested to see it.

Crap. This reminded me that I still have those three art requests from you that I haven't done. Not sure if you still care, but this nevertheless represents an unspeakable lapse on my part :V  Terribly-sorry.

And... it would be very cool to see a seqiv. :P

Whatever you're picturing in your head is probably infinitely more awesome than what I'll actually end up posting, just FYI.
Art requests... OHHHH, I remember those. XD I'd actually forgotten as well. It's no issue. :) You can get to them or leave them, however you want. You did say you might not be able to get around to them for some time, as I recall.

Also, that seqiv is badass, although I think it does look rather like a rebellious teen rather than a soldier, as Cynm said. I think it's good - gives a good impression of what the average citizen might look like. (I think the cues are the crossed arms and facial expression (rebellious) as well as the lankiness of the arms and legs (teenager). That said, it's a great picture.)

@ Splint - really like that scythod pic, and in particular, the claws and the body. The body has a wasplike feel to it that I never considered... I think I almost like that more than the original "L" shape. Very awesome.

I see those things and I reckon they'd sound like Vaaki (?) from the (really fucking old but not the oldest) Bionicle sets (well, second movie)... Many clicks and screeches.
Not entirely sure what you're talking about, but... I did give them their language. The names I gave the scythods in Vanya's stories are from it - Scylk, Chiktylk, Klade, K'bahth, Kiba, Spala, Lonne, Chal'lk, and I think a couple others. It's a hissing, clicking, clacking sort of language, with little to no vocalization. It's in the SB II mod files, if you want to take a look. (also, they show emotion both through their voice and through sounds they make with their scythes/claws.)

@ Mr Frog:

Seqiv pic is epic. That's actually close to how I imagined them to look, although like Cynm, I thought the eyes went all the way around, instead of leaving room for the nose. Other than that, I actually got dead-on. o.O Which is a surprise, and something I'm glad of. I don't have to reshape them in my head. lol

Really like the handbook thing... I think we should put together the whole handbook. lol   That would be pretty cool.

AND... The scythod pic looks... well, not that bad, though it shows you didn't pay attention, like you said. ;) But congratulations on being the only one who got the arching legs bit. :P I'm not entirely sure what I think about some scythods not having scythes... Their scythes are pretty much what defines them (scythod - scythe-od), and I haven't seen any examples of people with tentacles or wings... Species tend to look the same no matter where you go. It's just my thoughts, though... I won't fight the general consensus.

E: Also, random idea: Since it's established that all seqivet are telepathic to a limited extent in order to work their cloaking ability, perhaps some seqivet can learn to use their innate telepathy for other tasks, such as erasing memories or implanting suggestions.
Hmmmm... I like it. :D That sounds pretty cool, actually. It would make them pretty useful, particularly to Parasol, which has a penchant for mind control. They probably wouldn't be treated the best, however. Parasol seems to have evolved to become slightly racist.

Quote from: Cynm
Scythod from different regions of their planet could feasibly have developed specialized scythes: slicing scythes, stabbing scythes, crushing scythes etc.
Again, mmmmmm... really not sure I like this idea. I mean, people from Africa don't have tentacles, and people from India don't have scales. :P

[Completely unrelated]
I was messing around with Spawn, Seqivet and Scythods in the arena with some other creatures, both vanilla and modded, and it seems that all are weak to huge barbed tongues being lashed at them.
This sounds... worrisome. Key word here is "huge". In DF, big means power. A giant ball of fluff can squash an elephant, provided it's big enough.

Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9608 on: November 22, 2013, 06:17:24 pm »

@Cynm:

Since the Handbook is intended as a resource for adventurers, I'm thinking each entry should have a section specifically detailing how to combat the creature in question, or at least minimise the threat they pose.

I would be happy to make some more articles if you'd like (though I'd understand if you'd rather do this on your own). I could also contribute sketches of the creatures described in each article (done in a more pencil-y style to reflect the level of tech involved; this should also shorten the amount of time I need for each sketch).

I'm thinking of setting up a DeviantArt account so I don't have to keep uploading my artwork to Photobucket.

@Talvi:

Also, that seqiv is badass, although I think it does look rather like a rebellious teen rather than a soldier, as Cynm said. I think it's good - gives a good impression of what the average citizen might look like.

Thank you. That was roughly what I was going for (I didn't intend for it to look like a teenager). I may or may not do an action shot of a soldier later, though.
    The lankiness is more of a general trait of the species. Seqivet are an arboreal species, so they naturally have slim, agile builds in my headcanon.

The scythod-with-extra-grasps-in-place-of-scythes thing doesn't seem to be quite on the same level as a human being born with tentacles. It's more a case of which sort of limb goes on which segment getting FUBAR'd, which actually does happen sometimes in real life -- flies are occasionally born with functioning legs in place of antennae, for example (can't remember what causes it, but I know it happens). If you don't like it, though, it's not such a big deal. It was more a random thought.

As far as different sort of scythes go, I can certainly imagine different populations developing slightly-different scythe shapes to suit their local food source, even if the underlying anatomy doesn't actually change much.

That sounds pretty cool, actually. It would make them pretty useful, particularly to Parasol, which has a penchant for mind control. They probably wouldn't be treated the best, however.

Ohh, nasty. I imagine that sort of advanced mind-fuckery wouldn't come naturally even to seqivet that are capable of performing it, so I'd imagine seqivet enslaved "employed" in such a manner would quickly suffer ill effects from overexertion. This would probably lead to a species-wide grudge being formed.

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9609 on: November 22, 2013, 06:28:12 pm »

[Completely unrelated]
This sounds... worrisome. Key word here is "huge". In DF, big means power. A giant ball of fluff can squash an elephant, provided it's big enough.

As it turns out, in my amateurist modding glory, I only applied an appearance modifier, not an actual length modifier. They're weak to regularly sized barbed tongues being lashed at them.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9610 on: November 22, 2013, 06:51:35 pm »

Throwing this up here while I have time. The texturing job was somewhat halfheartedly done, and there's a lot I'm not happy with, but.

edit: How did I get double-ninja'd? Maybe it's been longer than I thought.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9611 on: November 22, 2013, 07:04:06 pm »

I would still prefer not fighting one of those if I didn't have to unless I was a Spearbreakers Army veteran.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9612 on: November 22, 2013, 07:39:48 pm »

Throwing this up here while I have time. The texturing job was somewhat halfheartedly done, and there's a lot I'm not happy with, but.
[snip]

Oh, turdlets. I was making a new drawing of a scythod based on the old model you posted, and then just as I more-or-less finished the pencilling you go and post this, which is significantly-different :V

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9613 on: November 22, 2013, 08:11:32 pm »

[snip]

Oh, turdlets. I was making a new drawing of a scythod based on the old model you posted, and then just as I more-or-less finished the pencilling you go and post this, which is significantly-different :V
Lol, don't sweat it. :P I've pretty much decided that the scythes can be positioned either horizontally or vertically. (posting this up quickly, will get to the rest of what you said in an edit in just a sec)

@Talvi:

Also, that seqiv is badass, although I think it does look rather like a rebellious teen rather than a soldier, as Cynm said. I think it's good - gives a good impression of what the average citizen might look like.

Thank you. That was roughly what I was going for (I didn't intend for it to look like a teenager). I may or may not do an action shot of a soldier later, though.
    The lankiness is more of a general trait of the species. Seqivet are an arboreal species, so they naturally have slim, agile builds in my headcanon.

The scythod-with-extra-grasps-in-place-of-scythes thing doesn't seem to be quite on the same level as a human being born with tentacles. It's more a case of which sort of limb goes on which segment getting FUBAR'd, which actually does happen sometimes in real life -- flies are occasionally born with functioning legs in place of antennae, for example (can't remember what causes it, but I know it happens). If you don't like it, though, it's not such a big deal. It was more a random thought.

As far as different sort of scythes go, I can certainly imagine different populations developing slightly-different scythe shapes to suit their local food source, even if the underlying anatomy doesn't actually change much.

That sounds pretty cool, actually. It would make them pretty useful, particularly to Parasol, which has a penchant for mind control. They probably wouldn't be treated the best, however.

Ohh, nasty. I imagine that sort of advanced mind-fuckery wouldn't come naturally even to seqivet that are capable of performing it, so I'd imagine seqivet enslaved "employed" in such a manner would quickly suffer ill effects from overexertion. This would probably lead to a species-wide grudge being formed.

I think you hit the seqiv thing spot-on. I wouldn't fret about it vaguely feeling like a teenager - it's pretty much all right as it is. It more gives the impression of youth than anything else.

With the occasional occurrence of FUBAR'd scythods, I'm fine. I don't like the idea of the species branching off and having tribes of scythods with claws instead of scythes, though. Occasional, yes. Maybe even iconic - they could look on it, perhaps, in the same way people in southeast Asia used to worship albino elephants and tigers - at least, in canon. A scytheless scythod might be seen as divine... Hilariously, it would also be incapable of expressing any positive emotion through body language, which is part of what scythods use their scythes for - they rub them together to "chirp" like crickets to laugh, and clack them together (I guess in an "X" pattern) to express agreement, among other things.

I'm not entirely unreasonable, see. :P

I agree with the slightly differnt scythe shapes to suit the local food source. That I'm okay with. lol   I actually kind of like it - and, as a bonus, scythods would probably be able to tell what tribe someone was of just by their "accent" - i.e. the audible variations produced by the difference in the scythes.

Ooh, seqiv slavery... And the seqiv are pretty nasty, by themselves. I imagine that could launch Parasol into another war, particularly if they tried to harvest the seqiv population for "employment".

And now, I must bid you all adieu for the time being - I've spent far too much time online. :\ I have to go help with family now.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2013, 08:21:57 pm by Talvieno »

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9614 on: November 22, 2013, 09:25:34 pm »

[snip]

Lol, don't sweat it. :P I've pretty much decided that the scythes can be positioned either horizontally or vertically. (posting this up quickly, will get to the rest of what you said in an edit in just a sec)

Not so much this as the fact that the proportions are completely-different. The limbs and abdomen are all much longer, for example. I, of course, am far too lazy to redraw the whole thing, so you'll just have to take your stubby limbs and like it :)

E: As long as we're entertaining the notion of a scythod with no scythes, how about a scythod with the lower claws replaced with a second set of scythes?

E2: Also, @Lolfail may I ask what the enormous barbed tongue in question was attached to? Has my foul temper inspired a new megabeast or..?
« Last Edit: November 22, 2013, 11:12:38 pm by Mr Frog »

Pages: 1 ... 639 640 [641] 642 643 ... 815