Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Wait for Next Version, Use current (.40.24,) or use older release (.34.11?)

Wait for the next release. I want usable mugs damn it!
- 55 (71.4%)
We can use the current one. I like the big trees and slightly smarter dorfs.
- 17 (22.1%)
I'll take .34.11 thanks. I want to know I'll get to kill things for sure.
- 5 (6.5%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Pages: 1 ... 642 643 [644] 645 646 ... 815

Author Topic: [34.11] Spearbreakers - It shudders and begins to move  (Read 2178044 times)

zacen299

• Bay Watcher
  • And again everything goes wrong.
    • View Profile
Re: Spearbreakers - A Tale Of Depression, Pyromania, and Mugs. (34.11, finished)
« Reply #9645 on: November 26, 2013, 08:05:32 am »

SBII is going to be the best fort ever at this rate (assuming of course the world doesn't just murder us for looking at it the wrong way). Honestly though I would love to see if anything could kill a megaspawn on fire.
I (somehow) wield a marble coffin that i fill with the corpses of all I have slain (to make an already heavy object even heavier) in one hand, and the other holds a book made out out of fucking platinum. The book can crush skulls, and the coffin grows ever stronger and now that is has a few dead dragons in it, it sends people flying a mile backwards to explode in a pile of gore. Gore which I then place into the coffin,

Cynm

• Bay Watcher
  • For the Swarm
    • View Profile
Re: Spearbreakers - A Tale Of Depression, Pyromania, and Mugs. (34.11, finished)
« Reply #9646 on: November 26, 2013, 10:28:31 am »

So far nothing has been able to stand up to a full squad of rail gunners. Of course, getting and keeping a squad of rail gunners is much harder than it looks. Jackborgs are probably the second best line of defense.

SBII is going to be quite FUN.
"In case of stairs, use fire"

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9647 on: November 26, 2013, 10:51:36 am »

How do Jackborgs perform overall? I haven't properly tested anything (Curse you New Vegas mods!) and I'm interested to hear about them. They seem like they'd be pretty scary unarmed combatants.

ChaosMaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9648 on: November 26, 2013, 11:23:08 am »

proably...this will be awsome.

i cant wait for spearbreakers 2, if the megaspawn are any indication, we should be dead by the 5th year or so. (so should we just dig like maniacs?)
<Chaos? Normal-, Death on untold levels? eeehhh need more popcorn, Adamantium? Shiney! The Circus? Isnt that where the clowns live? Burning elves and using their race as a insult-Definetly a dwarf!>
<dying's half the fun, and all the FUN!>-Grombardrim

Cynm

• Bay Watcher
  • For the Swarm
    • View Profile
« Reply #9649 on: November 26, 2013, 04:36:59 pm »

Jackborgs are quite scary unarmed opponents, especially once they've been trained for war. Interestingly, Jackborgs take the Titan approach to combat, in which they steal their opponents clothes and then beat said opponent to death with said clothes. One of my Jackborgs ( I have three right now) has actually grown attached to a Rope reed fiber dress that he stole from an elf ambusher. The three Jackborgs have defeated three or four elf ambushes on their own, with only a few dents to show for it.

The main problem my fort has right now is bouts of chronic unhappiness. Could we make frog moss consumption give a happy thought? That would give it a good in game use in stopping tantrum spirals.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 04:39:35 pm by Cynm »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9650 on: November 26, 2013, 04:39:49 pm »

Ok, so Jackborgs are effective anti-elf measures. How about properly armed opponents?

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #9651 on: November 26, 2013, 05:27:36 pm »

The main problem my fort has right now is bouts of chronic unhappiness. Could we make frog moss consumption give a happy thought? That would give it a good in game use in stopping tantrum spirals.

Not even remotely possible.

I think I should reiterate that it really, really bugs me when people make mod suggestions without having even the faintest idea of what can actually be done. Nothing against you personally, Cynm, I actually rather like you, but comments like this make the Frog-Beast pull at his restraints. Please, please, please do your own research into the matter before asking questions.

E: Um, okay, I reread what I just posted and I think I might be in a worse mood than I thought at the moment. Gonna go have a time-out.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 05:31:14 pm by Mr Frog »
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9652 on: November 26, 2013, 06:13:13 pm »

I'm gonna assume "chronic unhappiness" means "WE'RE DYING LIKE ANIMALS YOU BASTARD! DO SOMETHING!"

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9653 on: November 26, 2013, 06:46:10 pm »

I have just discovered that regular spawn and mega spawn are not friends with each other. Indeed, in the subsequent engagement of eight or so normal spawn vs. one mega spawn the mega spawn won. Handily. The mega spawn has since eaten two caravans and shows no signs of leaving.
I do believe we can consider the megaspawn a success then.

Why is this so funny to me? I actually had to stifle a laugh, there.

It's not funny when a Megaspawn shows up before the first caravan.
That doesn't happen, no worries.

Yes, it did. And it was glorious. Frustratingly glorious.

Cynm

• Bay Watcher
  • For the Swarm
    • View Profile
« Reply #9654 on: November 27, 2013, 07:58:51 pm »

I'm gonna assume "chronic unhappiness" means "WE'RE DYING LIKE ANIMALS YOU BASTARD! DO SOMETHING!"
Exactly.

I haven't been able to test Jackborgs against anything armored, mainly because only one goblin ambush has ever showed up, and they got chewed up by some human caravan guards the instant they showed up. I'll test them on a captured snatcher as soon as I catch one that isn't ballpoint.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 27, 2013, 08:02:05 pm by Cynm »

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9655 on: November 27, 2013, 08:14:57 pm »

Questions for anyone who can answer them...

Can you use CE_ADD_TAG to add a PERSONALITY tag to a creature?
If so, will changing the minimum value of said tag change an already existing dwarf's personality?
If so, can the change be reverted?

I would test this myself but I don't have acces to a computer right now.

CE_ADD_TAG cannot add PERSONALITY to a creature.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2013, 08:17:17 pm by BlackFlyme »

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9656 on: November 27, 2013, 11:53:50 pm »

I have just discovered that regular spawn and mega spawn are not friends with each other. Indeed, in the subsequent engagement of eight or so normal spawn vs. one mega spawn the mega spawn won. Handily. The mega spawn has since eaten two caravans and shows no signs of leaving.
I do believe we can consider the megaspawn a success then.

Why is this so funny to me? I actually had to stifle a laugh, there.

It's not funny when a Megaspawn shows up before the first caravan.
That doesn't happen, no worries.

Yes, it did. And it was glorious. Frustratingly glorious.
No, really. Megaspawn are megabeasts. Megabeasts can't arrive in year one, unless something has changed that I don't know about.

@Splint:
Jackborgs do all right against armored creatures. What they don't do well against are battles where they're overwhelmed by superior numbers of enemies all rushing them at once. They're particularly prone to what could be termed "backstab damage" - i.e. it says in the logs that they were "attacked from behind".  I wouldn't send them up against anything with steel armor, and I might think twice before I send them up against something with iron armor. They're good soldiers, but they're not going to fight your battles for you. In other words, they aren't overpowered.

@Everyone:

Is the Spearbreakers location depicted in this render immediately recognizable:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 28, 2013, 12:06:00 am by Talvieno »
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9657 on: November 28, 2013, 12:14:32 am »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but that's the small tunnel Talvieno led Vanya through before the cavern incident?

Also talvi check yo pms

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #9658 on: November 28, 2013, 01:53:09 am »

@Talvi:

Megabeasts can totally appear in year one if you fuck up or omit the ATTACK_TRIGGER tag and are extremely unlucky. I may be remembering slightly wrong, as it was a long time ago, but I very vividly recall being wiped out by some random megabeast I'd added before I'd gotten much more than a few rooms dug out. Wasn't sure whether to laugh or cry at that point.

Also
talvi check yo pms
this.
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9659 on: November 28, 2013, 08:05:29 am »

If memory serves, late autumn/winter of the first year is the earliest attackers can show up. And so long as Jackborgs can hold their own against a small ambush then that's good enough.
Pages: 1 ... 642 643 [644] 645 646 ... 815