Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Wait for Next Version, Use current (.40.24,) or use older release (.34.11?)

Wait for the next release. I want usable mugs damn it!
- 55 (71.4%)
We can use the current one. I like the big trees and slightly smarter dorfs.
- 17 (22.1%)
I'll take .34.11 thanks. I want to know I'll get to kill things for sure.
- 5 (6.5%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Pages: 1 ... 652 653 [654] 655 656 ... 815

Author Topic: [34.11] Spearbreakers - It shudders and begins to move  (Read 2178269 times)

TalonisWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolf Acolyte of the Pack
    • View Profile
Re: Spearbreakers - A Tale Of Depression, Pyromania, and Mugs. (34.11, finished)
« Reply #9795 on: January 31, 2014, 05:42:17 pm »

I would think anyone who played this fort would have a nigh crippling a fear of necromancers...

I've come up against everything but the circus and necromancers, and I'm frankly more scared of the necromancers. Now, if there were clowns who could raise the dead?  Or spawn who could do the same?

THEN I'd be scared.
TalonisWolf has claimed the title of Sig-forger the Burning Champion of Lime Green!
GENERATION 32:
The first time you see this, copy it i

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
Re: Spearbreakers - A Tale Of Depression, Pyromania, and Mugs. (34.11, finished)
« Reply #9796 on: January 31, 2014, 05:43:26 pm »

Hmm, true but leaving them as is may make for an interesting first year though...

I would think anyone who played this fort would have a nigh crippling a fear of necromancers...

I've come up against everything but the circus and necromancers, and I'm frankly more scared of the necromancers. Now, if there were clowns who could raise the dead?  Or spawn who could do the same?

THEN I'd be scared.

As would I. That concept is fucking terrifying.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #9797 on: January 31, 2014, 05:59:41 pm »

The first critters on my map were pit gorlaks... I have a feeling they are tougher to deal with and just as common. I'd hate to have them show up during a training session.

Ah, yes, forgot we weren't using vanilla cavern critters :V  Derp.

I would suggest splitting it into a three caste critter [...]

That might be a thing that can be done, although it seems inelegant to me. Approximately 1 scream in 100 would kill, which seems low until they start coming en masse (at which point, according to my calculations, dwarves would start dropping like flies and there'd be absolutely nothing you could do about it). It's impossible to lower the scream kill rate any further, but restricting the number of banshees that can scream could work. I'll stick with the nonfatal screams for now, though. We're already departing from the original myth by making their screams kill (they classically are just an omen of death as opposed to causing it directly), so I see no reason not to alter it further for balancing purposes.

The (insta-kill) banshees are available for download in my mod thread, if you're curious about how they work.

E:
[...] spawn who could [raise the dead]?

THEN I'd be scared.

* Mr Frog makes mental note to test an interaction that raises dead dwarves and turns them into Spawn

E2:

You have no idea. One of my first DF2012 fortresses met its end when a gigantic horde of zombies turned up in the first year. The only reason I let myself be in range of a necro-tower was that I was stupid and didn't realise one was nearby; I usually avoid them like the plague.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 06:09:01 pm by Mr Frog »
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9798 on: January 31, 2014, 06:07:45 pm »

* Mr Frog makes mental note to test an interaction that raises dead dwarves and turns them into Spawn
Mr Frog, you're an evil-spirited monster. You know that?

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9799 on: January 31, 2014, 06:13:16 pm »

0:) It's what I'm here for.
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Starweaver396

• Bay Watcher
  • Misplaced
    • View Profile
« Reply #9800 on: January 31, 2014, 06:19:41 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Note that they remain hostile for no apparent reason. :'( My supposedly friendly wizards get exiled to towers. Also, they are basically zombies for the first ten ticks to keep them from bleeding out from their wounds before they can be healed(which might be a remnant from when I used RESURRECT).

The imps are just elves with wings and much smaller size, nothing special.
...a limbless, headless, bloodless and mutilated dwarf torso that is nevertheless kept alive through benevolent faerie magicks. He is blind, helpless, and in excruciating pain, and yet does not die...
E: I should point out that this is all because of Starweaver giving me inspiration   Aren't you happy with yourself, Starweaver?

TalonisWolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9801 on: January 31, 2014, 06:22:30 pm »

:o

What have I done? 
TalonisWolf has claimed the title of Sig-forger the Burning Champion of Lime Green!
GENERATION 32:

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9802 on: January 31, 2014, 06:23:17 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Note that they remain hostile for no apparent reason. :'( My supposedly friendly wizards get exiled to towers. Also, they are basically zombies for the first ten ticks to keep them from bleeding out from their wounds before they can be healed(which might be a remnant from when I used RESURRECT).

The imps are just elves with wings and much smaller size, nothing special.

I'm pretty sure raising a corpse never actually causes it to become aligned with the caster. The reason zombies don't attack necros is that the necros are technically not living.

E: Oh, god, I just had a horrifying idea... gonna do some tests. If I can pull this off, Good biomes may become very very nasty.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 06:55:05 pm by Mr Frog »

Starweaver396

• Bay Watcher
  • Misplaced
    • View Profile
« Reply #9803 on: January 31, 2014, 06:54:24 pm »

E: Oh, god, I just had a horrifying idea... gonna do some tests. If I can pull this off, Good biomes may become very very nasty.

Good biomes? Nasty? I can't get my mind around that concept.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 11:23:39 pm by Starweaver396 »
...a limbless, headless, bloodless and mutilated dwarf torso that is nevertheless kept alive through benevolent faerie magicks. He is blind, helpless, and in excruciating pain, and yet does not die...
E: I should point out that this is all because of Starweaver giving me inspiration   Aren't you happy with yourself, Starweaver?

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9804 on: January 31, 2014, 06:55:50 pm »

Initial results on the Secret Project were very promising, until it somehow resulted in infinitely-multiplying decapitated heads. Think I'm gonna have to overhaul something.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #9805 on: January 31, 2014, 07:09:28 pm »

Initial results on the Secret Project were very promising, until it somehow resulted in infinitely-multiplying decapitated heads. Think I'm gonna have to overhaul something.
That's hilarious.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9806 on: January 31, 2014, 07:21:40 pm »

Okay, it took a bit of experimenting to prevent bizarre bugs, but I currently have, in my arena, a limbless, headless, bloodless and mutilated dwarf torso that is nevertheless kept alive through 0:)benevolent faerie magicks0:). He is blind, helpless, and in excruciating pain, and yet does not die. In the event that something happens to put him out of his misery, the Endless Witch (Umineko reference) Giantess I have in the arena simply resurrects him.

I deem this project a success. Now to attach the interaction to a region effect and do some Dwarf Mode testing.

E: I should point out that this is all because of Starweaver giving me inspiration :)  Aren't you happy with yourself, Starweaver?

E: Unfortunately, it appears that butchered skin is resurrectable, which results in quite a bit of weirdness.

E: Okay, so it turns out most of the weirdness only happens in Arena Mode for some reason. Took a bit for the dwarves to haul the resurrected corpse to the hospital to be stitched up, but it happened eventually. Now I'm watching to see what happens when a dwarf dies of dehydration and is subsequently resurrected.

(Not sure why I'm posting all of this in this thread, come to think of it...)
« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 09:16:16 pm by Mr Frog »

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9807 on: January 31, 2014, 07:22:53 pm »

Initial results on the Secret Project were very promising, until it somehow resulted in infinitely-multiplying decapitated heads.

That's getting sigged. Made me laugh harder than the average Nerdł video, which is pretty hard indeed.

Edit: And you ninja'd me with the rest of the test data.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9808 on: January 31, 2014, 10:16:06 pm »

Everything works fine now. Adding a brief period of dizziness after resurrection was enough to make the dwarves tend to the resurrected units' injuries.

@Splint: If you want good biomes in SB2 to resurrect units inside them (for good or ill), just say the word.

E: Okay, so it turns out I didn't actually add dizziness, yet the problem was solved anyways. Weeeeird.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 10:43:01 pm by Mr Frog »

TalonisWolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9809 on: January 31, 2014, 10:26:09 pm »

Everything works fine now. Adding a brief period of dizziness after resurrection was enough to make the dwarves tend to the resurrected units' injuries.

@Splint: If you want good biomes in SB2 to resurrect units inside them (for good or ill), just say the word.

Please, it may just wipe out any remnants of Elven civilization. Cause how'd you react to being resurrected  just as your "buddies" were about to snack on your corpse?
« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 10:29:41 pm by TalonisWolf »
GENERATION 32:
Pages: 1 ... 652 653 [654] 655 656 ... 815