Other Projects > Play With Your Buddies

"Look, Vulcan! It's snowing!" - XC Total War (P5 : Iberia Crumbles)

(1/20) > >>

Stworca:
Here we are, one last time. When the world was younger, i promised you a mod. I also promised a campaign that's interactive with a Bay12 council. Finally, i promised that i'll fail.
Wait just a minute, Sunny Jim, i couldn't have promised that! There is a chance that we might, though. But i digress..

Spoiler: About the Mod that we Shall use (Extended Cultures) (click to show/hide)The mod i've picked is

Extended Cultures (XC) is a modification of Rome: Total War that aims to bring historical accuracy but also show how different factions could have evolved had history taken a different path, with an eye to fun and challenging gameplay. The mod is similar to vanilla (unmodified) RTW in look and feel, but expands the original by bringing new factions, many reworked and new units, and new buildings (And less retarded AI - S.). In addition to this, a culture system that makes an unique use of Barbarian Invasion features and a large set of new character traits that extensively helps in role-playing will ensure an unique feeling of diversity for many factions.

Designed to work with RTW 1.5, RTW:BI 1.6, or Alexander. It uses a mod folder so it does not make any changes to the data directory. Extended Cultures sports nine culture specific barracks: Roman, Hellenic, Persian, Arabic, Punic, Nomadic, Thracian, Iberian, and Celto-Germanic. The stable and archery range buildings are no longer primary use buildings and missile and cavalry units are recruited from the barracks. In addition to a factional barracks, each faction can build an auxiliary barracks to recruit local troops in many regions. Another pillar of XC gameplay is the culture system. Developed from BI's religions, every region has a native culture, which may be at odds with your culture, and each faction can build colonies to convert that region to their own culture.

The map is a more accurate map than vanilla and is based on the map of the Extended Greek Mod to an extent, as well as Mundus Magnus. In addition, many new units are added as well as a greater variety of religious buildings.

A new feature of this mod is Advanced Order Control, which is a unique government system. Along with the culture system it allows each region to be shaped towards a full factional control, a protectorate-like system or in some cases a mixed administration.

This means that one cannot simply capture a region and leave it at that. The player will have to build up his culture in the captured region, and maybe even migrate settlers from his home land. Hence, building options may vary depending on the level of homeland culture in the city If the opposing faction's culture doesn't vary too much from the player's faction, the governmental infrastructure will not be destroyed and may be retained.
A's mean what level of Aux Barracks can be made.
F's mean what level of Faction Barracks can be made.
It takes 2 turns to build the top 'military occupation', which allows the most basic of buildings, but cuts taxes and trade income by.. a lot.. At the same time it gives a 75% bonus to public order. The further it goes, the more time-expensive the buildings are. The short route of "Allied Tribunary" has the downside of requiring a city-born governor to lead it.

In order to prevent the very large stockpiles of money that are built up by the user faction in the late part of the vanilla game, this mod ties unit upkeep costs to city levels and other things, forcing the player to concentrate on their infrastructure as well as new units in order to support a campaign. Trading is also more important-markets in cities will bring in income but the player must control a trade hub for real money to flow in.
(translation : You're broke, deal with it.)

Another feature is the traits and retinues system in this mod, which uses an Ethnic Traits System originally made as a sub-mod for the Extended Greek Mod by Suppanaut. The point of this system is to take the emphasis away from the romans that is present in the vanilla version of the game by incorporating many cultural features and traits for non-roman cultures. From version three of this mod it is only built into Extended Cultures, though previous versions were incorporated into other mods decended from the Extended Greek Mod. This system currently has the following features

* Ethnic traits and their sub-categories-all characters have their ethnic background as well as features attached to them.
* Many new traits and ancillaries-all other factions and cultures are enhanced to have the same depth as the Romans do in the vanilla game.
* Historical figures retinues-there are more than 200 historical figures which may only appear once each game.
* Educations and education abroad-characters can send their sons to one of many famous center of learning in antiquity to earn better education than just hire a tutor to teach at home.
* Family Matters-the player has to handle and headache with characters' family matters, their wives and their children.
* Philosophy school and eastern religion-Ethnic Traits feature important schools of thought and important religions of the hellenistic era.
* Mentor System-ancillaries also help characters to develop skills and personality as well.
* Dynamic trait system-some traits are more fluid and give bonuses based on conditions that the character must fulfill.
* Health and aging system-characters have their own health status and being older means there is more chance to get ill and not working to their full potential.
* Influence of Faction Leader over other members of your Faction-choice of faction leader will effect the fate of factions in the future.
* Command: affects generals' troops’ morale faction-wide (barbarian culture only)
* Management: affects corruption of all governors faction-wide
* Influence: affects all generals' loyalty and bribe cost as well as bribe chance.
* Some traits of faction leader will also give effects faction-wide as well and they have both good and bad traits that affect it. A bad faction leader will ruin the empire, so choose heirs wisely.
* Loyalty and hidden ambition-even with no visible disloyalty, character still have ambition and this unlawful ambition will lead to many bad things.
* Pretender-may be just a mere pretender who fakes his own publicity for a chance to gain power but his ascention will ruin your empire as whole.
* Imperial titles and "Doomed of Empire"-Every faction will claim imperial rights and start a new era of the empire once the empire is glorious enough. However decay of that empire also follows its natural process as well.
* Faction economic policy-Governors of each faction have their own way to develop socially and economically in history.
* Many cognomens and epithet-there are many cognomens and epithets those characters can earn. Some of them are cultural bloc based.
* Doomed of Man-characters with too high attributes or too great in recognition will end up corrupted and their downfall will be caused by their own hybris.
* Strategic exploitation-strategic decisions including logistics, supply, and some strategic movement, its effect could became positive or negative.Spoiler: Installation and Options (click to show/hide)We're using Alexander version, which improves the diplomatic (and battle.. supposedly) AI. Sadly it also means no shield wall, but i've had to give it up anyway, as it gave some of our own units too much of an advantage.

--- Quote ---Use Alex exe: This option will set up Extended Cultures to run with the Alexander exe.
 This version of the exe lacks some of the features available in the BI version, but it has fewer bugs and the AI is better.
--- End quote ---
Following that we do use landbridges over Gibraltar and other 'channels', and "fatigue" which tires units when they walk.

--- Quote ---Landbridges: You will be given an option to add landbridges from Europe to Asia Minor, from Europe to Africa, and from Sicily to Italy when you install Extended Cultures. This allows AI factions to move more easily between the two continents.
--- End quote ---
There is one other option that interests us..

--- Quote ---Reduced AI Bonuses: The AI factions receive significant economic bonuses. This option allows you to reduce these bonuses. Campaigns will be somewhat easier with fewer battles.
--- End quote ---

What does it do? Well, Sunny Jim. Without it, the AI has greatly improved pop growth, public order, money gain, construction times... To a point where it may seem unfair. We throw that option away in blind rage, as unfair is what we want. More on that later.Spoiler: On 'council' and generals. Important. (click to show/hide)Everyone, and their mom, is welcome to join in form of a councilman, but please keep in mind, that i would love to read some actual roleplaying (or not) advice from the councilmen. For now Their (YOUR) power is limited, due to extreme circumstances that are
- crushing debt
- impossible enemies surrounding us
But in the future (hopefully nearest) this democratic run will give you more than a bit of freedom. Starting votes (for the non-writing councilmen to participate perhaps?) and in a way guiding the flow of the forces. Diplomacy, governance of certain cities, more.

Council is, and always will be stuck to the capital city.

Naturally some of you will want a general, and once we get enough sons this option will also be open. Only family members though, to keep track of who's who a tiny bit easier. If you ever will want to go rampage with a general, the amount of stars you have will determine how many units you will get. Naturally, the council (OTHER viewers! Oh noes!) will have to approve your plans first.

No matter what, i reserve the right to "Veto" ridiculous and absolutely devastating, pointless or plain stupid ideas. We might fail, but let's not fail on purpose.

Thank You.Spoiler: Index (click to show/hide)Part 0 : Intro (Below)
Part 1 : Mamertines
Part 2 : Jaws of Defeat
Part 3 : Punic Nightmare
Part 4 : Summer, 261BC
Part 5 : Iberia Crumbles

Stworca:
Part 0 : Intro
Spoiler (click to show/hide)So who might we be? The mighty Romans perhaps? Romans may not have many starting cities, but they will easily have the most powerful army in the world once reforms hit. Their position is also amazingly easy to defend, and with just a slight difficulty curve at the very beginning, They can become the best, arouuuund, nothing gonna ever keep them down.

The powerful Punics? With just a few steps they could secure west Africa and focus on Ptolemaic, Iberians, and later Romans. They field one of the best hoplite units in the game, one of the better cavalry units in the game, and overall a huge variety of great troops, also an easy way to establish Tin trade route.

The amazing Seleucids, which require 4 screenshots to cover their entire area? There are so many things wrong with this suggestion, that i shan't even go into details.

No, councilmen. We do not chose any from the main factions, and instead select the alternative campaign. I MAY have added a few modifications myself.. See if you can spot the subtle touch of moi.

Now to pick a faction.. I already see one that fits perfectly, although doesn't appear historically correct. Or perhaps i just did not pay attention during class, drawing fences, and what not.

Quotation time :

--- Quote from: One of Mod Dev's ---Actually XC is intended for M/M. H/H is for game veterans and VH/VH is plain sadistic.
--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: Anotehr one of Mod Dev's ---Suggested difficulty is M/M with reduced AI bonuses
--- End quote ---

Obviously we didn't install the "Reduced AI bonuses" Option

Which, when coupled with playing a 1-province minor (Syracuse - Stworcagrad)

calls for the obvious difficulty option. (What else did you expect?) //OORP Ends here//

A bit of history :
The First Punic War (264–241 BC) was fought partly on land in Sicily and Africa, but was largely a naval war. It began as a local conflict in Sicily between Hiero II of Syracuse, and the Mamertines of Messina. The Mamertines enlisted the aid of the Carthaginian navy, and then subsequently betrayed them by entreating the Roman Senate for aid against Carthage. The Romans sent a garrison to secure Messina, so the outraged Carthaginians then lent aid to Syracuse. With the two powers now embroiled in the conflict, tensions quickly escalated into a full-scale war between Carthage and Rome for the control of Sicily.

Followed by :
The Siege of Syracuse by the Roman Republic took place in 214-212 BC, at the end of which the Magna Graecia Hellenistic city of Syracuse, located on the east coast of Sicily, fell. The Romans stormed the city after a protracted siege giving them control of the entire island of Sicily.

Obviously we wish to avoid the same fate, but is it even possible? A few things will make it possible, dear councilmen. The first one, being You. The second one, me. But i am getting ahead of myself. Before we go any further ; Behold, the menacing glory of soon-to-be-empire of Stworcagrad. The jewel of Sicily.

Behold, our starting treasury of 6000 denari, and the starting income of -7000.

The sane thing to do, would be disbanding our starting army. I am aware of that, oh council. But that would lead to stagnation, and with powerful neighbors, such as Romans and Punics, we can not allow it. Rather sooner, than later, Roman and Punic armies would be at our doorsteps. No. Our Hoplites must march, and secure our freedom.
You might say, that our armies are not powerful enough to take on any of the nations that surround us, that we may require a conquering god to even hope for a victory.
We do, but luck is on our side this time. //I have replaced the unit of starting archers with Cretan ones. Feels more accurate. //

You might say, that our armies are not equipped well enough, and that Stworcagradian steel might prove to be too weak to hold off all the swords, arrows and spears that shall be aimed at our sons.
But again, we are in luck.

You might say, that while our forces are fighting one foe, the other can simply sail to Sicily and take the defenseless city.
But we have the mightiest ships of them all at our disposal. (Also, take a look at ze council. That's You)

Finally, Greek Hoplites are our army core. These are no peasants, but expensive, armored, well trained soldiers. Witchcraft that controls the world may make all enemies appear stronger //by 7 attack and morale. Morale values are normally two digid in XC. Around 20ish.// But adversity shall reveal their skill. Can anyone be called a true son of Bay12, if he fears facing overwhelming odds?

You might say, that the treasury that we have may be spent better elsewhere. But i am in position to bring martial law into our city, and this i shall do. Until the great crisis is ended, and economical situation of the empire brought back to an upwards spiral, i seize the funds available to us, and direct them all into necessary preparations.

Total war awaits us, councilmen, and only a swift and victorious campaign now can bring us hope for continued existence in the future.
You might call this a gamble, all or nothing. Under any other circumstances i would agree, but what you may, and enemies definitely do fail to understand, is that no matter the omens, odds, predictions, this is not our last dance.

Not yet.

Delta Foxtrot:
One can't comprehend the mind of a masochist. A lot of those features remind me of EB, though then again most of those features are present in most quality mods.

I reckon you will be blitzing Sicily first, but then what? Knock Romans out early? Sail to Africa? Something ludicrous?

JacenHanLovesLegos:

--- Quote from: Delta Foxtrot on February 26, 2012, 09:01:44 am ---Something ludicrous?

--- End quote ---
This is Stworca we're talking about.

Karlito:
I'll join the council, though I suspect this will all end in screams and lamentations of the Stworcagradian women about 3 years in.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version