Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Minor thought change - ...was rescued by a (relation) recently  (Read 1570 times)

Demonic Gophers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Tunnels

In my current fort, my militia commander and the chief medical dwarf are lovers.  When the militia commander was injured in the latest siege, it was the chief medic who came to carry her to the hospital.  Seeing this, I pictured him watching the fighting and seeing his beloved fall with an arrow in her leg, and rushing out, determined to rescue her.  It was one of those awesome, heartwarming moments that DF generates so well.  Describing the event to a friend who recently started playing DF, I quoted from the militia commander's thought screen: "Adil Bekarcerol has been ecstatic lately.  She was rescued recently."  We both agreed that it would be a nice touch if the 'rescued' thought was modified when the rescuer was a friend or relative, much like the 'haunted by the dead' thought.  Just a little change to highlight these epic moments.
*Digs tunnel under thread.*
I also answer to Gophers and DG.
Quote from: Shades of Gray
*Says something inspiring and quote worthy.*
Opinions are great, they're like onions with pi.

dizzyelk

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes kittens for their delicious roasts.
    • View Profile
Re: Minor thought change - ...was rescued by a (relation) recently
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2013, 04:51:27 pm »

I think this is a good suggestion, and I also think it should modify the thought, and go on other thoughts. Witness death lately? Not too big a deal. Witness the death of your lover? That's a big deal.
Dwarf Fortress - Bringing out the evil in people since 2006.
Somehow, that fills me more with dread than anticipation.  It's like being told that someone's exhuming your favorite grandparent and they're going to try to make her into a cyborg stripper.

Evil One

• Bay Watcher
  • [Champion Elfslayer]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2013, 06:51:31 pm »

I think this is a good suggestion, and I also think it should modify the thought, and go on other thoughts. Witness death lately? Not too big a deal. Witness the death of your lover? That's a big deal.

Yes but, waterfall.
Dwarf!  Indeed, a devious delight fond of drink and industry deceived as both do-gooder and devil by the delusions of deities.  This demander, no daft demeanor, is a driving force of the deadly diocese, now disappointed, delirious from goblin deception.  However, this delicious derangement of a demolished diamond stands determined!

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2013, 02:16:26 pm »

Not to mention the legendary giant giant crow bone axe blade in yonder weapon trap.

'Lost a lover to tragedy lately' is already a - pretty strong - negative thought. Adding an extra badness modifier to witnessing the death of this lover might step too closely to guaranteed insanity.

dizzyelk

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes kittens for their delicious roasts.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2013, 12:53:46 am »

Not to mention the legendary giant giant crow bone axe blade in yonder weapon trap.

'Lost a lover to tragedy lately' is already a - pretty strong - negative thought. Adding an extra badness modifier to witnessing the death of this lover might step too closely to guaranteed insanity.

True, but what would be worse, losing your lover, or actually seeing them struck down in front of you? If it was more a directed tantrum, where the dwarf in question would rage, and go after whatever killed their lover (assuming it was a living being, and not a megaproject accident or something), it might be cool. Plus, then they could get a really good boost from a thought like "Avenged lover's death" or something.
Dwarf Fortress - Bringing out the evil in people since 2006.
Somehow, that fills me more with dread than anticipation.  It's like being told that someone's exhuming your favorite grandparent and they're going to try to make her into a cyborg stripper.