Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The legend of the Leather Cap  (Read 3945 times)

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
The legend of the Leather Cap
« on: February 26, 2012, 11:26:01 pm »

In a hidden cavern under my fortress, the most terrible of all the monsters that populate only the nightmares appeared. Despite the dwarves walled years ago the entrance leading down, being very busy with goblins on the surface (and having their ranks nearly decimated by many sieges), the ancient entity managed to break through and began to ascend.

And this is what witnesses reported (some screenshots are thumbnails , click on them to see larger version, as they're larger than the board)

It was it, Kobem Fongbezfullut (Koben "Pungentrabbles" ) the most disgusting feathered crab with a spiral shell you can imagine in your worst dreams, it was so awfull that my dwarves were stuck in fear when it finally reached the surface of the world.

Now very likely you are wondering why i even create a thread about this, considering Forgotten Beasts are nearly in everyone fort and this one does not look that special.
The reason becomes obvious in what followed.

Somehow during its ascension, the Forgotten Beast found a cap somewhere and decided to take it with itself to the surface, a detail that would have an immense importance because the legend did not ended there.

Mosus Domasirid (Mosus "Guildrhythmic" ) , a brave dwarf Ranger decided to face the terrible beast of ancient time.
Though the witnesses mentionned that it wasn't about bravery, it was because Mosus was followed since a long while by the ghost of another dwarf, haunted even in his dreams and was so miserable that he nearly jumped into the Forgotten Beast mouth as soon as it came out of the stairs.

Anyways, the most hmm ... epic ? .. of the battle started

Yes, -90- pages of the Forgotten Beast beating that poor dwarf in the head with that leather cap (and sometime breathing its "vapor" ) .

I couldn't stop laughing imagining the situation.

When the military (the last 10 remaining dwarves) showed up, the Forgotten Beast decided to drop the leather cap and charged in battle, leaving Mosus on floor, horribly wounded but alive.

The monster proceed to kill every soldiers, though taking a very large amount of wounds itself, but in the end it was victorious.

The unfortunate dwarf Ranger ? once the Forgotten Beast was finished with the military

poor guy.

Fortunately for the kids always alive around the now dead adults, it was the time a migrants wave came, and quick draft allowed the defeat to transform into a victory.

But at what price, nearly all of them died in that battle, but finally the most fearless of them, Erib Enamineth (Erib "Purecity") finally put an end to the world wide threat of that crab and its leather cap.

Erib saved the day by punching the Forgotten Beast to death.

But the monster slayed 18 dwarves in front of the fortress.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
Re: The legend of the Leather Cap
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2012, 11:31:49 pm »

bonk bonk bonk bonk bonk bonk *PFFFFF* bonk bonk bonk bonk bonk *PFFFFF* bonk bonk bonk bonk bonk bonk *PFFFF*
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

claer_runway

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2012, 11:32:50 pm »

wait, it broke through a wall? that's possible now?
You can't program common sense.

like Skies of Arcadia?:
http://www.youtube.com/user/clearrunway

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2012, 11:37:27 pm »

I walled, i didn't checked but assumed it broke the wall, that or there was another entrance i didn't walled, though i doubt it.
Edit : checked and it did not destroy the wall, it destroyed the closed granite door i had setup with a lever, thinking it would be better than simply setting an impassable door.
My mistake, i completely forgot there was a door, as it's been ingame years since i built it.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 11:47:15 pm by Robsoie »

claer_runway

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2012, 11:40:29 pm »

you must have missed a spot. nothing can break through a wall last I checked, thank armok
You can't program common sense.

like Skies of Arcadia?:
http://www.youtube.com/user/clearrunway

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2012, 11:42:10 pm »

Walls that are already constructed can't be touched by non-citizens. Walls that are slated for construction (dark 0 on light background) can be 'destroyed', and if a dwarf suspends the construction for some reason the wall won't get built unless you unsuspend it manually.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2012, 11:48:00 pm »

i added it to my previous post, so maybe you didn't see before replying , the mistake came from there :

Edit : checked and it did not destroy the wall, it destroyed the closed granite door i had setup with a lever, thinking it would be better than simply setting an impassable door.
My mistake, i completely forgot there was a door, as it's been ingame years since i built it.

Kofthefens

• Bay Watcher
  • Keep calm and OH GOD CAPYBARAS
    • View Profile
    • Marshland Games
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2012, 11:49:56 pm »

Dedicate an altar to that hat. Place in on a pillar of candy, surrounded by gold and jewels. Guard it with chambers of vampires, legions of were-creatures, your mightiest warriors. The sentinels shall never sleep, guarding the hoard by the flickering torchlight as they have for an eternity. For it is not mere treasure they guard, nor even the legendary metal. Nay, they are the fabled guardians of the the goat leather cap.
I don't care about your indigestion-- How are you is a greeting, not a question.

The epic of Îton Sákrith
The Chronicles of HammerBlaze
My website - Free games

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2012, 11:53:57 pm »

I'm not sure with 3 adults dwarves and a handfull of kids that it will be possible after the attack of the giant crab and its leather cap.
It's been a long time since the 3d goblin siege, and i'm expecting the 4th one anytime, probably the end of my fortress now that the migrant wave came and was nearly annihilated by that hilarious forgotten beast.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2012, 06:46:18 pm »

Burn the cap. It is cursed I tell you!! DOOM!!!!

Kofthefens

• Bay Watcher
  • Keep calm and OH GOD CAPYBARAS
    • View Profile
    • Marshland Games
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2012, 09:36:31 pm »

Burn the cap. It is cursed I tell you!! DOOM!!!!

That's why you should keep it, I tell you!
I don't care about your indigestion-- How are you is a greeting, not a question.

The epic of Îton Sákrith
The Chronicles of HammerBlaze
My website - Free games

Washcloth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2012, 10:23:32 pm »

Give the cap to a dwarf, and then abandon so that the cap may continue on its mysterious journey
"My dwarves seem to have Terminal Party Syndrome; i can't get them to stop partying all of a sudden"- RCIX