Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress guide book?  (Read 63197 times)

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
Dwarf Fortress guide book?
« on: February 27, 2012, 03:54:04 am »

Look what I have found while browsing amazon: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Getting-Started-Dwarf-Fortress-complex/dp/1449314945

All i can say is ... whoa. someone actually wrote 150 book on playing DF?
« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 02:22:16 am by zwei »

Proteus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress quide book?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2012, 04:58:05 am »

Interesting idea, but obviously it neither is adorned with rings of elephant bone, nor menaces it with spikes of adamantine, and it doesn´t even have an image of tentacle demons in cave spider silk sewn on it  :'(
It also seems to be just standard quality and seems to be neither -, +, * nor of even of higher quality

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2012, 06:01:53 am »

I really hope no one is stupid enough to buy this book, since everything you'd want to know how to play the game is available for free on the Internet, mainly the Wiki or just searching this forum. Especially so since I get the odd feeling that this is some guy trying to make money out of free content.

EDIT: Or do they? The desciption does say "It’s not really a game guide so much as a celebration of an improbable manifestation of geek culture." buuut... Oh well whatever.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 06:03:54 am by Ieb »

Sir Finkus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2012, 06:11:57 am »

$10 it's a dump of the wiki.

Proteus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2012, 06:18:36 am »

I really hope no one is stupid enough to buy this book, since everything you'd want to know how to play the game is available for free on the Internet, mainly the Wiki or just searching this forum. Especially so since I get the odd feeling that this is some guy trying to make money out of free content.

Not to forget that in many parts it is probably already outdated, as it probably revolves around DF 0.31 and not around the curent version.
Reminds me of the Second Life beginners guides you are able to buy in book stores (and which without a doubt  also don´t contain anything you cannot get on the web for free)

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2012, 07:40:33 am »

Heh, I bought a book from Amazon that turned out to be a Wikipedia dump, and the expletives that followed that realization I hope to never repeat.  Wouldn't buy anything from Amazon without previewing first now.  Be wary folks!  :o
We can only guess at the longing of the creator. Someone who would need to create one such as you. - A Computer
I've been working on this type of thing...

Scarpa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2012, 11:06:49 am »

Looks like the author is TinyPirate, who has already contributed tremendously to the DF community, IMO. (I learned from his tutorials)

I think that lends a bit of credibility to this, but still would like to hear what it really is.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2012, 12:32:01 pm »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2012, 12:59:00 pm »

^

Trying to sell already-collected information to DIYers isn't exactly a brilliant business model.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2012, 02:26:19 pm »

Looks like the author is TinyPirate, who has already contributed tremendously to the DF community, IMO. (I learned from his tutorials)

I think that lends a bit of credibility to this, but still would like to hear what it really is.

Not to mentin that O'reily is publisher, not typical wiki book mill.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2012, 02:49:27 pm »

Only I think this is awesome?

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2012, 04:19:42 pm »

If TinyPirate made this, it can't be bad. I only hope though, that there's an agreement that part of the sales' profit goes to Toady One
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2012, 07:09:09 pm »

I really doubt thats the case, and I'm fine even if it isn't. You shouldnt need to pay someone if you want to write books on their work.

TinyPirate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2012, 09:46:40 pm »

Hi guys! Looks like the cat is out of the bag! I wasn't sure when O'Reilly was going to announce this but I guess now is the time? I was hoping to announce it myself! Awww.  :'(

Yes, I'm writing a book on Dwarf Fortress. It's not done yet but I expect it will clear 150 pages. Easily. The horror ;)

And yes, it is a legit project by O'Reilly who have an editor or two who are as passionate about DF as the rest of us. I love the idea of this book sitting alongside books on C+, Lnux, MySQL and server maintenance. Dwarf Fortress is far more important than any of that stuff!

Why a book? Well, yes, the wiki exists, and yes, it is a superb and unparalleled resource, but many, many gamers want manuals or huge chunky strategy guides that will step them through everything they need to know. My old 2009 Dwarf Fortress tutorials still net 2,500 views a day (double that figure whenever Toady releases a new version of DF) and the first tutorial has had 750,000 page views. I would like to think that they have been great introductions to Dwarf Fortress.

The goal of the GSWDF book is to provide a one-stop-shop for brand new players who want to try and tackle this game but find themselves lost and confused (for most people this sets in about 30 seconds after running dwarffortress.exe in my experience). The book covers how to create your first world, embarking, first steps (getting food production up and running, digging, etc) and then branches into chunky chapters on managing your dwarfs, industry, military, mods and tools, etc etc. It's written in the same style as my tutorials (irreverent and, I hope, funny) and I'm excited that O'Reilly has let me take this thing where I want it to go.

Would I recommend you buying it? Well, if you're reading this you're probably already reasonably familiar with Dwarf Fortress and won't find much in it that you don't already know, so no, you probably don't need this book, give your $15 to Toady instead.

That being said, I think the book is going to end up pretty cool and unique in the O'Reilly stable. The book will almost certainly include some art by Tim Denee inspired by stories people have submitted, and it will have a cool, custom cover (I'm hoping something involving elephants!), and it has a forward by Toady, but I'm not going to sit here and tell you all you can't live without this book.

Your friends who don't yet play DF though? Yeah, those guys can't live without this book! When it comes out, buy them a few copies (I jest, I jest)! I also hope the book will pull in a ton more new players to DF (I really expect it will) and I encourage the reader to donate to Toady to support this project. I have high hopes that the book will be a great way of promoting DF, supporting Bay12 and introducing a whole new audience to the game.

Answers to some questions:
- It will be current to the DF2012 version.

- It does include information that you will also find in the wiki. It is impossible for anything on DF to not include material that is in the wiki as the wiki covers just about every DF topic you could imagine.

- This book represents an experiment by O'Reilly in "real time" publishing. This means the book is likely to get frequent updates - I believe that people who buy the book will actually get updates pushed to them as the book is maintained on an ongoing basis by me (and possibly others). I love being part of an experiment, makes me feel dwarfy.

- Toady's involvement is limited to, very kindly, writing a forward for the book. If I make any money off the book I'll be making donations to Toady off my own bat. And I really hope we'll see a lot of new players who will do the same. You can't play DF and not appreciate the time and effort the Bay12 guys have put into the game.

Thanks, hope that explains things.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 10:18:19 pm by TinyPirate »

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2012, 02:04:38 am »

-snip-

I would buy it! Very awesome project.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10