Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress guide book?  (Read 63210 times)

Blackwind

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress quide book?
« Reply #135 on: May 26, 2012, 02:50:27 am »

Only I think this is awesome?
Read the rest of the thread, this is nothing you can't already get online for free.

TinyPirate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: May 26, 2012, 08:00:54 am »

Read the rest of the thread, this is nothing you can't already get online for free.

This is true. But I know MANY people who have bounced of DF, even trying to use the wiki. A couple of them tested the book and were able to get fortresses up and running and have fun. As one tester put it "You don't teach someone math by pointing them at the wikipedia article on math", the point being that there's no context and it's really hard to know what is or isn't important at any one moment.

Now, the DF wiki is superb, but there's something to be said for 240ish pages of hand-holding =)

Pyro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dragons Can Code
« Reply #137 on: May 27, 2012, 02:14:45 am »

Now, the DF wiki is superb, but there's something to be said for 240ish pages of hand-holding =)
Are you sure the elves won't come knocking for ruining all those trees? :P

Also it seems sourcing it O'Reilly publishing really isn't financially viable for most people outside the US. Just hope amazon do provide some kinf of update feature. Either that or I buy the ebook from O'Reilly when it comes out.

EmeraldWind

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey there, dollface...
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: May 27, 2012, 10:29:13 pm »

This is true. But I know MANY people who have bounced of DF, even trying to use the wiki. A couple of them tested the book and were able to get fortresses up and running and have fun. As one tester put it "You don't teach someone math by pointing them at the wikipedia article on math", the point being that there's no context and it's really hard to know what is or isn't important at any one moment.

I figured out most of what I know about DF from the wiki, but I would of never figured it out without the tutorial I used as a starting point.

The wiki is great, once you know enough to realize what you need to know. This book is just a starting point, but that fact alone makes it awesome.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2012, 10:31:49 pm by EmeraldWind »
We do not suffer from insanity. We enjoy every single bit of it.

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress guide book?
« Reply #139 on: May 28, 2012, 08:41:25 pm »

...Woot...?

Just checked the O'Reilly page and saw the digital/paper offer was up so ordered it, and had access to the digital download straight away..? Was a little disappointed the only offer for international shipping on the site was relatively expensive (doubles the price of the book), but can't really gripe since it is good value already.

OK, it is well formatted for the kindle, I can read all the screenshots and drawings with no problem.  Looks great so far, congratulations!  Will get down to learning DF all over again now...
We can only guess at the longing of the creator. Someone who would need to create one such as you. - A Computer
I've been working on this type of thing...

TinyPirate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: June 01, 2012, 01:11:49 pm »

Thanks, hope you enjoy it! And I will send special love thoughts to folks who kindly review it on Amazon, O'Reilly and, now, Barnes & Noble.com :)

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: June 07, 2012, 05:43:32 pm »

Just got my copy in the post, and thus far I quite enjoy it. Pity I pre-ordered before the paper & digital deal was up. Great work! Hope it sells well!

Pyro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dragons Can Code
« Reply #142 on: June 11, 2012, 11:37:01 am »

Dang, even with pre-ordering it seems Amazon.co.uk ran out of copies before I could be sent mine.

slaytanic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • my DFFD pack
« Reply #143 on: June 12, 2012, 03:05:48 pm »

I think I might buy one just to have in the bathroom. My friends are always complaining about the Rolling Stones magazines they've already read. That'll shut 'em up ! They might be in there longer though...
So let me get this straight....We are talking monkeys living on a dirt ball that circles a fireball ? WTF ?

Miuramir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: June 29, 2012, 11:36:07 am »

FYI: Now through July 4, O'Reilly game and game programming e-books are 50% off, featuring "Getting Started with Dwarf Fortress" ($7.99 sale price) at the front of the list.  If you were on the fence about this, now is an excellent opportunity.  Use code "WKGAME"
http://shop.oreilly.com/category/deals/gaming.do?code=WKGAME

Alehkhs

• Bay Watcher
  • The Sorrow of Poets
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: July 01, 2012, 12:41:14 am »

TinyPirate, have any revisions been done yet to the print version? Or is it still "First Edition" ?

Korthal Burgatul

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: July 03, 2012, 06:02:56 pm »

- Toady's involvement is limited to, very kindly, writing a forward for the book. If I make any money off the book I'll be making doations to Toady off my own bat. And I really hope we'll see a lot of new players who will do the same. You can't play DF and not appreciate the time and effort the Bay12 guys have put into the game.

I'm one of those new players. It was so cool to see O'Reilly publish a game manual, I had to buy it. I had heard of DF before, but the book convinced me it was worth learning.
Once I get a chance to try the game for myself (working on my first embark). I'll be donating to Bay 12 too.

Nagidal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My gaming channel
« Reply #147 on: July 05, 2012, 09:41:41 am »

Thank you, TinyPirate for writing this book. I have bought both the e-Book and the paperback. It is something I would recommend everybody new to DF as a read for his first embarks. The wiki, internet and youtube tutorials have a lot of information but none of them is so well-rounded, nicely structured, and not stuffed with destracting minor detail knowledge like your guide.
I stream most of my DF sessions: gaming.youtube/nagidal146, they are archived on my youtube channel. (Dwarf Fortress Tutorials)

Wellincolin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: July 05, 2012, 09:48:48 am »

Until dwarffortressology.

It is so becoming a science anytime soon. I know it.
"The WereAss collides with The Ostrich Cock!
The Ostrich Cock is knocked over and tumbles backward!

The Ostrich Cock is no longer stunned.
The Ostrich Cock stands up."
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]