Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress guide book?  (Read 63202 times)

Sir Finkus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress quide book?
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2012, 02:12:21 am »

stuff
Sorry I was a bit hostile earlier, it looked like one of those cashgrabs Amazon has a lot of.  Now that I know it's legit, I may have to pick it up.  Sounds kind of need.

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2012, 02:31:23 am »

Hi guys! Looks like the cat is out of the bag! I wasn't sure when O'Reilly was going to announce this but I guess now is the time? I was hoping to announce it myself! Awww.  :'(

That being said, I think the book is going to end up pretty cool and unique in the O'Reilly stable. The book will almost certainly include some art by Tim Denee inspired by stories people have submitted, and it will have a cool, custom cover (I'm hoping something involving elephants!), and it has a forward by Toady, but I'm not going to sit here and tell you all you can't live without this book.

Sorry for spoiling the surprise  :-\

Anyhow, If it covers modding in reasonable detail It seems like great book for even veteran.

Also, as for cover, I imagine something like this:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I have always imagined dwarf fotress book in "Head First" series, but somehow typical O'reilly book with engraving on cover seems way more apropriate.

Intrinsic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2012, 03:03:12 am »

I'm always reminded of this fake book cover anytime i hear O'Reilly, it's brilliant. Spoiler'd as it contains a swear word and kids may be around ;p

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Start Duelyst with a bonus 100gold, use referral code: Buttfungus
Enter during signup or ingame under Settings.

TinyPirate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2012, 03:37:14 am »

Haha, the monkey and the elephant are great! Well, I haven't seen a cover yet but I hope it will be great - they are plotting a one-off of some kind!

Anyway, it won't cover the mod scene in huge detail - enough to say that a scene exists and to briefly review the big tools and whatnot, so don't get it for something awesome on the scene, this is an intro, after all!

And no worries about people being concerned about a junk book project. I know there are plenty of those and it would indeed be frustrating for something like that to happen to DF.

Johuotar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Some game projects
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2012, 03:44:15 am »

You made utter and complete newbie tutorial? You taught me how to play DF, thank you so much! Im sure the book will be awesome!
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 03:51:28 am by Johuotar »
[img height=x width=y]http://LINK TO IMAGE HERE[/img]
The Toad hops in mysterious ways.
This pure mountain spring water is indispensable. Literally. I'm out of paper cups.

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2012, 03:49:08 am »

Anyway, it won't cover the mod scene in huge detail - enough to say that a scene exists and to briefly review the big tools and whatnot, so don't get it for something awesome on the scene, this is an intro, after all!

Rather than mod scene, I would be interested in how-tos on making own mods (i.e. how to make new civ, creature, material, reaction, interaction ...).

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2012, 03:57:55 am »

It would be nice if the book analyzed the impact DF had in the gaming scene. However, I would buy just for the players stories and the Tim Denee illustrations.

Dream: a book with only DF-related stories with art by DarkerDark.

TinyPirate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2012, 04:02:07 am »

Details on the mod scene/how to mod are probably outside the scope - see the first three words of the title :D

Hopefully a full table of contents etc will be announced closer to 'printing'.

And yes, I would LOVE a book just of DF art/stories - mix up the artists and the stories and I think we'd all be dead happy. I wonder if it would sell!?

As for DF's impact - that's an interesting question. Clearly it has an impact, but just how much would be hard to pin down and probably largely speculative and whimsical. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing... hmm. Pondering now :)

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2012, 04:45:03 am »

Well I must apologise for doubting, this sounds pretty sweet.  Re: the constant updates part, is a kindle edition planned?  Because that would seal the deal for me.
We can only guess at the longing of the creator. Someone who would need to create one such as you. - A Computer
I've been working on this type of thing...

TinyPirate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2012, 04:52:13 am »

Hey, no worries, no one likes those book mills!

I'm not sure of O'Reilly's precise plans but I believe, at this time, that it will be an eBook only (it might go to print if you all rush down to your local book chain and try and pre-order it? I don't know, lol). As part of that there will be all the usual format editions and wherever you can buy O'Reilly books from I'm sure it will turn up.

Exactly how the "Real Time" format will work is something I think O'Reilly and the "Real Time" authors are still figuring out. The idea is to try and keep books up-to-date on the fly rather than at various, random re-publishings. Thus, if Toady released an update later this year I'd probably work to update the book and everyone who had bought it would have the new version pushed to their devices (automatically?). There may even be some very modern thoughts on licensing and user contributions to the book, but I'm not quite sure. Should be fun though!

Proteus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2012, 07:48:43 am »

Fascinating ...
if it´s O´Reilly it ennobles the whole project of course ...
will be a great sight if it will be available in normal computer book stores among their normal books covering programming topics :)
(that is, if the book will finally also be available in computer book stores in germany)
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 07:50:22 am by Proteus »

helf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2012, 09:35:32 am »

YOUR GAMES GLITCH: Hey, I got out of the map boundry!
OUR GAMES GLITCH: Hey, a horrid monstrosity just migrated to my fortress! Let's recruit it!

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2012, 10:44:30 am »

http://shop.oreilly.com/product/0636920022565.do

The game is a construction and management game

When did Tarn drop Adventure Mode?!

Miuramir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2012, 12:24:51 pm »

I'm not sure of O'Reilly's precise plans but I believe, at this time, that it will be an eBook only (it might go to print if you all rush down to your local book chain and try and pre-order it? I don't know, lol). As part of that there will be all the usual format editions and wherever you can buy O'Reilly books from I'm sure it will turn up.

Exactly how the "Real Time" format will work is something I think O'Reilly and the "Real Time" authors are still figuring out. The idea is to try and keep books up-to-date on the fly rather than at various, random re-publishings. Thus, if Toady released an update later this year I'd probably work to update the book and everyone who had bought it would have the new version pushed to their devices (automatically?). There may even be some very modern thoughts on licensing and user contributions to the book, but I'm not quite sure. Should be fun though!

Sounds fascinating.  One interesting wrinkle is that some companies and universities have "site licenses" that allow employees, students, etc. to access a good chunk of the O'Reilly electronic catalog through their library; if the book is available via those channels, it really opens up a huge group of potential players. 

I'm also interested in the "Real Time" developments.  Please keep us updated on how this all goes!
Areas of Expertise:
* dwarf fortress
* dwarfs
* fortresses
* speaking
* writing

Ha!

Scarpa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2012, 12:29:18 pm »

Haha, the monkey and the elephant are great! Well, I haven't seen a cover yet but I hope it will be great - they are plotting a one-off of some kind!

A forgotten beast maybe? ;)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10