Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Removing alcohol dependency from vampires  (Read 3890 times)

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Removing alcohol dependency from vampires
« on: February 27, 2012, 08:34:22 am »

ATM Vampires need alcohol but never drink it, so they just work really slowly. Is there any way I can things so they don't need it anymore, or so they drink it?

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
Re: Removing alcohol dependency from vampires
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2012, 08:56:26 am »

One way to do that is by using noncompressed saves and editing the vampire creature tags over at world.dat or whatever it was called again, there are some threads about editing that.

Another way would be to remove vampire curses from being generated on worldgen, but having a custom vampire curse file within your main raw/objects folder. You can just grab the vampire secret file from the interaction example folder and remove the NO_DRINK from there, and tadah. Maybe remove NO_EAT and NOSLEEP too, so vamps would be able to better hide among the normies.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2012, 12:29:39 pm »

I tried making some copies of the vampire example so that I had 21 of them, changing the names to prevent duplicates, and then set the number of vampire curses to 0. One quick look at legends mode in the resulting world didn't turn up any vampires.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

RadHazard

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware their adorable guns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2012, 12:36:54 pm »

Obviously, the dwarfy solution to this problem is not removing alcohol dependency from vampires, but rather by making dwarf blood alcoholic :P
To make magma-proof, set melting/boiling temperature higher than 12000. To make magma proof, set magma to be brewable.

Custom transformations got you down?
Here, have some ‼Science‼

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2012, 12:48:35 pm »

ALCOHOL_DEPENDENT is an unsupported CE remove tag, so giving dwarven blood an ingested syndrome that removes alcohol dependency can be excluded.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2012, 01:42:04 pm »

Double post, but ehh.

Tried the raw-changing method by saving a specific seed and genning it with 3 different variations. The world was based on the 'smaller region' preset, with the only changes being the specific seeds, worldgen ending at year 99, and the number of vampire curses being changed as apppropriate. Counting was done by flicking through the historical figures list in Legends.

Attempt 1: 25 vampire curses in the raws, 25 in worldgen parameters. 4 vampires generated.
Attempt 2: 25 vampire curses in the raws, 0 in worldgen parameters. 0 vampires generated.
Attempt 3: 0 vampire curses in the raws, 25 in worldgen paramaters. 5 vampires generated.

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2012, 01:44:29 pm »

I've just removed alcohol dependency from dwarves in general, until this is fixed. I don't think I'd ever had a dwarf suffer from alcohol withdrawal before vampires, anyways.

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2012, 03:32:54 pm »

ALCOHOL_DEPENDENT is an unsupported CE remove tag, so giving dwarven blood an ingested syndrome that removes alcohol dependency can be excluded.
Hey, ALCOHOL_DEPENDENT is not supported but NO_DRINK is!
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2012, 03:34:51 pm »

No drink only allows them not to die of thirst, they will still get bad thoughts from not having booze.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Dienes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2012, 03:36:59 pm »

Has anyone been able to modify the worldgen vampire syndrome in a non-compressed save game to remove no_drink? It wouldn't help the existing vampires but any new ones wouldn't suffer alcohol withdrawal. Sadly when I try and modify the syndrome I just crash df.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2012, 03:44:50 pm »

No drink only allows them not to die of thirst, they will still get bad thoughts from not having booze.
No, the idea is that the vampire gains the tag when they become a vampire, then they lose it again when they bite a dwarf. The end result, if it works, is a vampire with alcohol dependency but not an aversion to drinking alcohol.

Logic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2012, 04:09:52 pm »

I like the idea that someone else had where you make dwarf blood alchoholic.

Its probably already 90% alchohol, anyway.