Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Glazing reaction question  (Read 991 times)

Malecus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Glazing reaction question
« on: August 13, 2012, 10:46:22 pm »

Between a few notable threads posted recently, it seems that coating a weapon or ammunition with toxic substances is a great source of Fun.  But the methodologies of doing so are haphazard at best and all too often passive.  I seek the active destruction of my ASCII enemies!  And so I wonder (because I'm too inexperienced in the glazing ways to even know where to begin), would it be possible to create a glaze with a syndrome that activates on contact and effectively coat a weapon with poison?

Because if we can do that, I'm going to violate a few dwarven ethics so very badly, I'm likely going to suffer PUNISH_CAPITAL.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: Glazing reaction question
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2012, 10:58:25 pm »

Glazes are just improvements and/or complete replacements of the object's material, they won't actually cause any syndromes if attacking.

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2012, 01:12:09 am »

It's not glazing you need, it's rather coating with extract. Maybe reaction that produces explosion that leaves extract coating. Actually, you need two syndromes, first to make worker imunne to second, and second to poison everything around.

Never tried this.
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

Malecus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2012, 02:01:45 am »

Dang, I was hoping a glaze would be a more substantial change instead of just an addition to the item's description.  Ah well, at least it gives me credence to my belief that hanging rings don't actually add any extra weight and therefore mass to a weapon (as they did/do in the real world).

I'm liking how you're thinking, peregarrett.  I know my many failed reactions with liquids means deconstructing a building with loose fluids in it can result in a mighty wave of said fluid into the surrounding area.  It might be as simple as a reaction that effectively removes the extract from a container while creating a binless weapon/ammo storage pile next to it, then deconstructing the building and letting the fluid flood over the gear.  So long as all the dwarves touching the items are wearing gloves and the cleaning dwarves wear boots, they should be able to avoid contracting the syndrome.

Not the clean and easy ideal I was initially hoping for, but at least it turns my previous failures into prior practice.

Malecus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2012, 12:53:12 pm »

Well, it technically works, although still as sporadic as any other poison application method and can yet affect dwarves wearing gloves and boots.  At least I was able to find out that a dwarf with advanced rot to the spine and brain can still make an accurate diagnosis before suffering to a painful, painful death.

Back to the programming board.