Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stopping a waterfall.  (Read 1683 times)

deknegt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Stopping a waterfall.
« on: February 29, 2012, 11:21:30 am »

Is there any way to stop a waterfall?

I embarked at a river with a 3z waterfall inside it and it's crippling my frames to max 40. Needless to say the slow pace is driving me nuts and I want to stop the waterfall from... falling.

Is there any way to stop the waterfall by damming it? Or am I better off finding a new embark?

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
Re: Stopping a waterfall.
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2012, 11:24:31 am »

You should be able to stop the fall by damming the water above the drop.  How you can do that is another matter entirely.
Quote from: franti
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
Quote from: Ipwnurmom221
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

Meta

• Bay Watcher
  • Aka Maunoir. French Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2012, 11:30:44 am »

Build a wall of pumps directly above the river to pump the water back into the river. It should stop the flow. Then build a wall in the river. Done!
Generalized Godwin’s Law: "Every discussion within an online community converges to a zero-information signal characterized by empty assertions concerning the foundational dichotomy of that community."

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2012, 11:34:05 am »

A pump stack will drain the river quickly. I once used pumps to power an artificial waterfall, and had to re-engineer a solution to get the river running downstream of my pumps.

I'm not sure about this, but couldn't you build a staircase 2 squares away, a support 1 square away, and then build a series of floors and walls before taking apart the stairs and pulling the lever to cause a cave-in dam?

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2012, 11:35:44 am »

Constructed walls and floors will deconstruct when you drop them, so that wouldn't work.
Quote from: franti
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
Quote from: Ipwnurmom221
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2012, 11:45:40 am »

Good to know.

Gigaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2012, 12:12:18 pm »

You can stop the waterfall without using any screwpumps. First, build like that:

s=soil
0 - nothing
c - constructed floor
7 - muddy ground of the river (shows in game as 7)
t -  tunnel to your fortress
Z0:

t s s  s s s s
t s s  s s s s
c c 0 7 7 7 7
c c 0 7 7 7 7
c c 0 7 7 7 7
c c 0 7 7 7 7
s s s  s s s s

The waterfall can now easily be stopped by building a wall everywhere where a "0" is. The dwarfs might suspend the construction of the wall 2-3 times, don't bother and unsuspend.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2012, 12:24:14 pm »

Actually the pump trick simply pumps the water back up stream, stopping it in it's tracks. To restart the river, just turn off the pumps.

Depending on the height, and width of the waterfall, you might be able to build bridges under it to push it out from the surface of the rock and work underneath it.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2012, 04:48:42 pm »

Why not make a series of over-steps with the pumps, and provided enough pumping power dries the falls enough, build a retractable wall-bridge so you can control the out-flow. After all that is taken care of, de-commission the initial pump setup, and you have yourself a nifty operational dam/flood mechanism.

Feel free to modify the river path any which way you please from then on.

EDIT:
If you're feeling creative, make it look like a faucet, and use staircases and a series of flow re-routings to turn it into a shower/sink.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 04:52:03 pm by Itnetlolor »

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2012, 05:22:05 pm »

Constructed walls and floors will deconstruct when you drop them, so that wouldn't work.

They will break any floors without walls below them, so if you dig out under the river, then drain it to the caverns (and install floodgates somewhere), drop the floors to break the riverbed, it drains, you wall it up downstream, close the floodgates and it stops flowing.

Screw pumps are way easier though.
Magma is overrated.