Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: My first tantrum spiral. Wow. Just wow.  (Read 11899 times)

Guylock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: My first tantrum spiral. Wow. Just wow.
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2012, 04:24:39 pm »

I so love tantrum spirals, they bring interesting drama to DF! :D

Korva

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2012, 04:27:02 pm »

Well-told, and kudos for hanging in there. I hope the Lucky Thirteen will get the fort back to its feet.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2012, 06:15:17 pm »

Did I ever tell you of the time my candy clad spearlord went berserk?

Loved it.

Two of the slain children belonged to miners. Legendary miners.

This is where it went from bad to Dead Space 2.

I can't remember when's the last time I had to hold off a tamper tantrum...

This lack of death worries me.

I think I've found my FTW button.

Darchitect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2012, 05:28:24 pm »

Well, a brief update.

The Lucky Thirteen quickly became the Lucky Twelve after I appointed a new Captain of the Guard. Evidently, Butacara, my butcher, didn't make what the long-dead mayor had requested. Zharilia decided, against the wishes of the other survivors, that an abrupt execution via her artifact crossbow was appropriate. The new mayor, Nasher, who'd managed to keep it together throughout the Madness, was pushed so close to his breaking point that I feared we'd be burying two corpses instead of one. Through some divine grace, though, he managed to forgive Zharilia her infantile and disgusting zeal for Order, and buried Butacara at the base of the waterfall with all the other dead.

Weeks slowly trudged by. We managed to finally pierce the flooded children's burrow. The heart-breaking work of burying them needs no description. Kidalia, the last of the ghostly dwarf children, was finally laid to rest on the 10th of Slate. No memorial service was held.

A week after that, a wave of migrants turned up. Forty-four of them. Despite the terrifying probability that they would all die, they packed up and came here, children in tow. Things must be bad back at Mountainhome. The new comers are very tight-lipped whenever questioned. We'd like to believe the influx has to do with the economic possibilities offered by the deep earth here, but we remain suspicious. There are mutterings of succession problems, among other things.

One of the migrants was an expert macedwarf with 167 kills under his belt and a burning desire to teach. He's our new Captain. Nasher was only too happy to strip Zharilia of her title.

One of the children was taken fey soon after their arrival. He would neither eat nor drink until we finally let him out of the new (and hopefully safer) children's burrow. He promptly carved an exquisite amulet of bone, engraved with an image of Ishgasol Sankestkudar, our famous golden cabinet. I suppose that artifact has become somewhat of a symbol of hope for our troubled land. Especially, I think, for the children.

It's Felsite now. The elves arrived in the midst of a sudden Spring snowstorm. Thankfully, and for the first time in many years, they weren't tailed by goblins. Perhaps even they have heard of the horrors of Atolunol Thatthil. Or, perhaps, there are so few children that they don't find us worthy of a siege.

Regardless, with the help of our new migrants, we managed to clear out the halls of gore that were once the first-floor apartments. The elves, more out of pity than anything else, I suspect, took all the blood-caked rags and trinkets in exchange for much needed food and booze.

Pity. Pity from the elves. Armok has a very dark sense of humor.

But they have done us a kindness, as much as it irks me to say. It will not be forgotten.

Now, my children, we grow. We grow deep and strong, plunging our roots down into the wealth of the black earth that surrounds us. For we only ever broke through the first of the caverns, and there are stories, my children, stories of fantastical riches and wondrous things that lie deeper and deeper still.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2012, 05:35:13 pm »

+1 cave spider silk sock for you
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

axeman157

• Bay Watcher
  • ...And my Mi-Go!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2012, 05:37:55 pm »

"This is where it went from bad to Dead Space 2."
I'm pilfering this, I busted out laughing from this. Good work man.

TomIrony

• Bay Watcher
  • Blood, Stone and Ash
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2012, 05:41:18 pm »

You should add a link in this thread. Imagine getting that illustrated.
Quote from: KodKod
Quote from: enizer
"unit list other: 248, all kobolds"
"Hunt them for sport.

The Least Dangerous Game."

Urist McGyver

• Bay Watcher
  • I love Roc Birds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2012, 06:01:13 pm »

This is a short story. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It menaces with spikes of Tantrum Spiral, Picks and Blood. On it is the image of children. The children are dying. This image relates to the Tantrum Spiral of Darchitect's Fort.
It's treated as completely normal because this is Dwarf Fortress.  There's absolutely nothing wrong with surrounding yourself with a wall of flames, only to later realize that you're surrounded by a wall of flames.
There's nothing that can't be solved by hurling fifteen roc birds at it.

ASCIt

• Bay Watcher
  • ._.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2012, 06:02:11 pm »

This is a fine tale indeed. Speaking of, I find myself needing a storyteller of your caliber, if you're interested.
This is a very dorfy thread, and you WILL read it.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2012, 06:36:29 pm »

This was quite beautiful. You should move it to the RP&Storytelling forum and continue it.  :)

But for Armok, it was Tuesday.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2012, 06:56:31 pm »

This just makes me want to start playing DF again..
I have always postboned it by thinking I could do it later.. but now.. not so much.  :P

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2012, 07:00:18 pm »

I have always postboned it by thinking I could do it later.. but now.. not so much.  :P

;D

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2012, 07:02:07 pm »

;D

Afterboned?

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2012, 07:03:57 pm »

;D

Afterboned?

Oh not again.. Brain, what were you doing when I was writing?

albatross

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 29, 2012, 01:31:52 pm »

"Oh? So most of you got massacred recently? Well.. isn't that just sad.", said the elven caravan leader with a smug expression on his face, while rolling his eyes...

That was no pity. It was just a cunning elven way to say "Ha! Got yourselves royally f*cked, did you?" You really should massacre the elves for taking satisfaction of your unexpected misfortune. Let's be honest, if your caravan were to visit a huge elven settlement, and recently their inhabitants massacred each other to the brink of destruction, would you show sympathy? Or would you smile contently and figure "Well, that's one problem that almost took care of itself."
Pages: 1 [2] 3