Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: No matter what I do my marksdwarves won't train  (Read 1250 times)

sadron

• Bay Watcher
  • Manic Asphyxiation
    • View Profile
No matter what I do my marksdwarves won't train
« on: September 19, 2012, 01:28:29 am »

And it's happened every single fortress I've made. They just sit around the damn fortress while on duty despite having an archery range set up for them, quivers for their crossbows, crossbows for them to use, and more bolts than the entire world population. Honestly I don't know what the hell is wrong.

EDIT: One really stupid thing is, they do sort of train, ONLY when they're inactive. I'm honestly flabbergasted. They have a full quiver of bolts and the retards are just sitting gape mouthed doing nothing. And when I've sent them into combat they just bows like maces, like they're too stupid to know how to fire the things while on duty.

And they do it only sometimes. It's just so damn annoying!
« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 01:52:26 am by sadron »

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
Re: No matter what I do my marksdwarves won't train
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2012, 02:02:48 am »

Upload save for us, please!
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

sadron

• Bay Watcher
  • Manic Asphyxiation
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2012, 02:06:52 am »

It's pretty much ANY save from any version of 34.11 I have, Phoebus, vanilla with a different tileset, ANYTHING. It's every single time. It HAS to be a bug with the 34.11 there's no other explanation.

SnK-Arcbound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2012, 03:03:30 am »

Set up an armor stand and set it as their training area. I find that they train like normal military dwarfs, except with the archery ranges also set up they will use that whenever the hell they decide to.

Also they have backpacks right.

omg_scout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2012, 03:20:46 am »

My marksdorfs train normally. Things you need

1. Squad setup to train
2. Barracks made of archery target, set in proper direction, with baracks order set to T like train for the proper squad
3. In military squad delete all existing bolts and add one big stack of generic bolts and set it to (t)rain and (c)ombat.

It works for me, all my archery ranges are occupied.

Berossus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2012, 04:16:18 am »

I had the same problems, heres what worked for me:

I assigned them 250 bolts of a specific metal.
Bone wouldnt work since every stack came from a different animal, so they were kinda stuck in selecting from different stacks.
Copper or silver (but not both) assigned did the trick.

They still wont train unless bored out of their mind with the swuad set to inactive, so i set up cagetraps to have live-targets in a training pit after sieges and ambushes.

Also keep in mind, archery targets DO NOT work like barrakcs. Each target is for ONE DWARF at a time, so you will need to make a range out of every target on its own and hope for the best.
Live targets are still the most reliable way though.
My son, many speak of the honor in war.
My preferred method is to wait until their back is turned, then impale them with a pike held by someone else.
Preferrably from a distance.

malvado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2012, 04:54:24 am »

I had the same problem as well , what seemed to work is to be sure to make a sufficient large Barracks room so that it covers the Archery range.
If you have the archery outside they simple will never train while active / on duty and will many times display the message -going to train- but will never get there.

sadron

• Bay Watcher
  • Manic Asphyxiation
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2012, 11:15:22 am »

I had the same problems, heres what worked for me:

I assigned them 250 bolts of a specific metal.
Bone wouldnt work since every stack came from a different animal, so they were kinda stuck in selecting from different stacks.
Copper or silver (but not both) assigned did the trick.

They still wont train unless bored out of their mind with the swuad set to inactive, so i set up cagetraps to have live-targets in a training pit after sieges and ambushes.

Also keep in mind, archery targets DO NOT work like barracks. Each target is for ONE DWARF at a time, so you will need to make a range out of every target on its own and hope for the best.
Live targets are still the most reliable way though.
Don't worry I know that at least. Every target is set.

Cozmopolit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2012, 12:01:31 pm »

Marksdwarfs need barracks (armor stand) assigned to the squad to train there in addition to the archery targets. Otherwise they will only train on the archery targets when the squad is inactive.

Assigning different types of bolts for combat and training is hard to make it work, but can be done. Basically it comes down to not assigning too many bolts to the squad (25 bolts per quiver, so 250 bolts for a full squad of 10) and thus making sure that they have space in their quivers for both kinds of bolts.

Also, beginner marksdwarfs don't seem to like the archery targets, it takes (too) long until they get some basic skill. As soon as they do, they will use archery targets a lot.

Luge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2012, 12:13:53 pm »

Have you checked the military screene and made sure the minimum number of squad members for training is set to 1 and not 10?

L.

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2012, 05:40:24 pm »

Hence the "upload your game" and let us see what's wrong.
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.