Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Where is all the sealife?  (Read 1113 times)

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
Where is all the sealife?
« on: February 27, 2012, 04:57:49 pm »

So I decided to take my vampire for a swim across the ocean, assuming that I could just KO and drink sharks and the like. However I'm thirsty now, and can't seem to find any. Do they even spawn? Are they all near the bottom? How many Z layers deep do I have to go? Should I just turn back before I get too far out?

Xotano

• Bay Watcher
  • Elite Head Collector
    • View Profile
Re: Where is all the sealife?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2012, 05:15:00 pm »

yea turn back, your best of stopping in the forest somewhere and strangling bunnies.
"Engraved on the wall is a masterful depiction of a human by Logrin.  The artwork relates to Xotano Beastblood The Everseeing Dwelling of Clouds the human vampire recruiting some new human shields companions after his encounter with Ral Firewealthy the Warm Flicker the dragon, during which his face was melted off."

300 human/elf/dwarf/goblin/kobold bodies 20 random animal/fish/bird bodies and 3 dragon bodies all in one backpack. fun stuff.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2012, 05:15:19 pm »

There are not any major tokens for determining depth at which a creature spawns if they are aquatic, so they will probably be evenly distributed across the whole depth of the ocean.  The exceptions being surface swimmers and bottom crawlers.  (Of which, there are few.)

One problem may be that there simply aren't as many ocean creatures out there total.  This game focuses heavily on terrestrial life because that's where the game takes place most of the time. 

There's also the fact that the deep ocean as a whole naturally has much less life density, simply because plankton on the surface are the only autotrophs, and they have far less mineral richness with which to sustain an ecosystem on the surface of the ocean.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2012, 08:26:05 pm »

Plus any that do show up just skitter away incredibly quickly.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2012, 10:12:37 pm »

How long dose thirst take to kill a vampire by thirst once the 'Thirsty' doohicky shows up? I think I can reach the destination in about 2-3 days.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2012, 04:38:22 pm »

I've never seen a vampire die of thirst before...

Can someone try this?