Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Sooo...Question...  (Read 6130 times)

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Sooo...Question...
« on: February 28, 2012, 03:48:20 am »

Is it wrong to self destruct and kill off/destroy a fort you've grown tired of? :p
Is it because light travels faster than sound,
that people appear bright until you hear them speak?

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sooo...Question...
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2012, 03:49:59 am »

Not really.
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2012, 03:52:54 am »

It is the only correct avenue of approach.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2012, 03:53:57 am »

Well alrighty. Time to open the floodgates of the 3 rivers I'm under :p Self destruct lever is pulled ;)

luppolo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2012, 03:57:31 am »

i search for the dwarf with lowest happiness and kill all his friends/relatives/babies and hopefully cause a tantrum spiral

of course i draft and assign weapons to everyone before doing so

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2012, 04:03:13 am »

In (almost) every fort, there is THE LEVER.

THE LEVER is connected to every bridge, floodgate, mechanism, and anything designed to keep things in or out that is not a door. THE LEVER also has a few other things that may happen as a result of being pulled. Sometimes, the booze stockpile gets dropped into the caverns.

Sometimes, the zoo and arena get released.

Every now and then, an innocent hole in the middle of the dining room gets turned into a magma fountain. Occasionally, a pump stack turns on and the waterfall becomes too fast to drain.  There are times when only source of water becomes mixed with forgotten beast extracts, while the dining room closes, emergency tantrum weapon stockpiles open, and outdoor weapon caches open up for everyone stuck outside to go on a grand, suicidal charge into the face of the enemy become personalized organic ammunition storage.

Only once have I ever attempted to cast the entire inside of my fort in obsidian. It didn't work, but the resulting pattern of lava | obsidian with pockets of lava, water, and random corpses | water was rather aesthetically pleasing.

It's more of an "up yours" lever on the chance that the fort were to fall. If the fort is to go down, it will go down in as dwarvenly of a way as possible, take as many invaders with it as possible, and make it impossible for anyone but dwarves to reclaim.

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2012, 04:20:33 am »

In (almost) every fort, there is THE LEVER.

THE LEVER is connected to every bridge, floodgate, mechanism, and anything designed to keep things in or out that is not a door. THE LEVER also has a few other things that may happen as a result of being pulled. Sometimes, the booze stockpile gets dropped into the caverns.

Sometimes, the zoo and arena get released.

Every now and then, an innocent hole in the middle of the dining room gets turned into a magma fountain. Occasionally, a pump stack turns on and the waterfall becomes too fast to drain.  There are times when only source of water becomes mixed with forgotten beast extracts, while the dining room closes, emergency tantrum weapon stockpiles open, and outdoor weapon caches open up for everyone stuck outside to go on a grand, suicidal charge into the face of the enemy become personalized organic ammunition storage.

Only once have I ever attempted to cast the entire inside of my fort in obsidian. It didn't work, but the resulting pattern of lava | obsidian with pockets of lava, water, and random corpses | water was rather aesthetically pleasing.

It's more of an "up yours" lever on the chance that the fort were to fall. If the fort is to go down, it will go down in as dwarvenly of a way as possible, take as many invaders with it as possible, and make it impossible for anyone but dwarves to reclaim.

Lolol... Nice.

My fort in .31, I was in the process of designing it to be a massive magma piston over the magma sea, linked to a self destruct lever. Pull it, and it's an elevator ride straight to hell:p

Never got around to finishing it, .34 came out:p

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2012, 04:32:12 am »

'rtg593' Bemongibruk, forumite cancels megaproject: interrupted by 0.34.01.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2012, 04:32:42 am »

Follow up question... Embarked into a haunted biome, got hit with a profane vapor... Everyone is still happy, no wounds yet... but they won't do any work below the surface. They'll channel on the surface, walk underground, but won't dig.........

...This is facepalm thread worthy... I put them all in a burrow to bring them into a walled off area I made... That's why they won't leave......
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 04:41:58 am by rtg593 »

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2012, 04:40:30 am »

I usually just abandon forts and hope I'll see my legendary weapon smith again in the next fort.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

ASCIt

• Bay Watcher
  • ._.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2012, 09:03:57 am »

Wow, I'm boring... when I lose interest, I sort of just leave them to their own devices and watch, unpausing when necessary.
This is a very dorfy thread, and you WILL read it.

I am Leo

• Bay Watcher
  • Ia ia Oggez Rashaz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2012, 09:44:03 am »

Go out with a bang. Wait until you're under seige, let the enemy into your fort, THEN pull the lever, ideally one that introduces the goblins to invaders from below.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2012, 09:50:18 am »

A high-atmosphere magma rain array has always been rather appealing.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2012, 09:57:18 am »

dont kill you nobles

Die Nacht

• Bay Watcher
  • [IMMUNE_TO_SOCIAL_LIFE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2012, 10:29:38 am »

Siged

dont kill you nobles

What?! Those are the first bastards that need to die!
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 10:35:38 am by Die Nacht »
Pages: [1] 2 3