Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 0.34.04 Released  (Read 77577 times)

Terratoch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 0.34.03 Released
« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2012, 02:09:56 pm »

quick question regarding bug fix releases.
Which files do I need to replace in my DF folder? By that I mean, is it enough to just replace the executable, or do I need to replace more, or do I need to replace everything? I ask because I have made some changes to raw files that I can change again if I need to, but I really don't want to if I don't have to.
The only thing better than dining on a fine goblin is using said goblins tallow for soap to fix up my soldiers.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2012, 02:17:42 pm »

Which files do I need to replace in my DF folder? By that I mean, is it enough to just replace the executable, or do I need to replace more, or do I need to replace everything? I ask because I have made some changes to raw files that I can change again if I need to, but I really don't want to if I don't have to.

Check file changes.txt in the DF folder

edit: world gen isn't fast yet, however it is a lot better. 500 years in a medium world in under 15 minutes
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 02:19:47 pm by thvaz »

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2012, 02:19:40 pm »

Just make a new folder for the new version, then you can use a diff utility to merge your raw file edits into the new version (as well as any init options you may have changed). As for the files that you would need to replace if you wanted to keep a single folder - in general, you need the executable, any changed raw file (file changes.txt usually has all of them), and any changed init files (ditto). There are probably others (I think the index file in data?), possibly depending on your OS. Again, I'd recommend a separate folder for the new version and using a diff utility. You can typically (but not always) copy your old saves over, though you don't get raw-based fixes this way.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Terratoch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2012, 02:49:03 pm »

Check file changes.txt in the DF folder

edit: world gen isn't fast yet, however it is a lot better. 500 years in a medium world in under 15 minutes

Thanks.
The only thing better than dining on a fine goblin is using said goblins tallow for soap to fix up my soldiers.

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2012, 03:30:10 pm »

I've been having the freeze/crash after worldgen as well. I'm on a linux system. I tried about 4 times with the wanderer's friend mod installed and it froze after I had exported teh map and then hit enter to accept. Then I reverted back to teh stock raws and it worked. Then I put in wanderer's friend again and this time after exporting teh map and hitting enter it completely crashed.

Here's what the backtrace and memory dump it printed:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I'll try a few more times without wanderer's friend to see if I can replicate it with normal raws.

EDIT: Ok, this time with stock raws, it crashed when I hit p to export the map.  Backtrace and memory map:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Again, this using the linux version. Toady, would you like for me to run strace on it as well?

second edit: I tried setting [PRINT_MODE:TEXT], since the backtrace seems to involve OpgenGL libraries, but I got this:
Code: [Select]
$ ./df
Loading bindings from data/init/interface.txt
Didn't find any flavor of libncursesw, attempting libncurses
Symbol not found: waddnwstr

I checked and i do have libncursesw:
Code: [Select]
$ ls -l /usr/lib/libncursesw.so
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 21 2012-02-28 12:40 /usr/lib/libncursesw.so -> /lib/libncursesw.so.5
$ ls -l /lib/libncursesw.so.5
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 18 2010-09-07 09:56 /lib/libncursesw.so.5 -> libncursesw.so.5.7
Where is it looking for libcursesw?
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 03:48:45 pm by khearn »
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

WaffleEggnog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 28, 2012, 03:34:29 pm »

Nice, i was getting tired of all the bugs screwing up my game, its really nice that you patched it up.

Also, a question, i saw quite a bit of fixes about world gen and history/legends, so would it be better if i made a new world?
I know you dont half to, i just was playing my old one, but do you think it would be better? I kinda got attached to my current one, it would be a shame, but im fine with it.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 03:36:32 pm by WaffleEggnog »
WHEN POSSIBLE, I PREFER TO CONSUME YOUR FACE.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 28, 2012, 03:52:09 pm »

Also, a question, i saw quite a bit of fixes about world gen and history/legends, so would it be better if i made a new world?
I know you dont half to, i just was playing my old one, but do you think it would be better? I kinda got attached to my current one, it would be a shame, but im fine with it.

Your current fortress will benefit from the vast majority of the Fortress Mode fixes in this release.  Most of the Adv. Mode fixes will only apply in a new world, though.

Baron OhShi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 28, 2012, 03:55:43 pm »

" Stopped populations from villages/trade partners from migrating into dungeon outcast groups all at once "

Aww, but I had fun destroying them and raising their corpses. Sure my framerate suffured, but it was totally worth it to have a thousand-strong army that could wipe out cities with ease... In adventure mode XD

GreshKaal

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 28, 2012, 04:15:28 pm »

I like having all of these updates.  Sure, it's a little annoying waiting for Dwarf Therapist to update, but having a game creator who keeps up on bugs and fixes them quickly is more than worth having to do job changes dwarf-by-dwarf.

Thank you, Toady, for being awesome!

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 28, 2012, 05:01:27 pm »

In my work computer every times the world offloads after world gen it crashes...I will test soon at my laptop...

It crashes for me each time I do world gen. I create new world, make it large, let it go for about 75 - 90 years and then after I hit 'p' to get picture and then enter to use it gives me not-responding screen.
Edit: Tried once more without exporting picture and it seemed to have worked. Thats 3 times exporting picture it crashes, once without it works.

Hmm, well, that sucks.  I can't get it to happen in legacy, but it's happening for me in SDL.  Either a release-mode thing with the site info export or something with the texture cleaning maybe.  I won't have any idea for a while yet.  I always export pictures during world gen and this is only coming up now for some reason.

Here's the bug tracker report for the world gen export crash.  If anyone has more information than is already in that report, that's a good place to post it.

loganis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 28, 2012, 05:05:47 pm »

(*) Vampires won't try to pin crimes on animals

Okay.. this one's actually kinda sad, i was looking forward to blaming the rooster.

and legitimately.. it COULD be a were rooster

Stromko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 28, 2012, 06:02:38 pm »

Worldgen just crashes a lot for me before it can even save the completed world. It often crashes right when it would start to save (doesn't even change from the worldgen screen), but the first time (on a medium region year 347 with increased savagery and evil) it crashed while saving historical figures. Finally got a world generated, a pocket world, using default options and short history.

Well at least I can continue my fort from 34.02 though. :)

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 28, 2012, 06:08:08 pm »

You broke clay storage BTW :D No clay in stone stockpile anymore.

Alpha Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 28, 2012, 06:43:12 pm »

Khym Chanur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 28, 2012, 06:56:33 pm »

Decreased questing rate in world gen

What exactly does that mean?  Who (or what) quests during world gen, and what sort of quests?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9