Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 0.34.04 Released  (Read 77873 times)

MagmaSolutionsInc

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes elves for their screaming, bubbling noises.
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 0.34.04 Released
« Reply #105 on: March 02, 2012, 08:12:31 am »

Suicidal dwarves and waterfalls. A new terror in 34.xx.

May just be me having a brain fart, but I couldn't find if this has actually been logged yet?
stopped zombie cats from adopting dwarves

... with magma.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: March 02, 2012, 08:25:03 am »

I've got another fort where my soldiers won't attack something, this time naked mole dogs, with their job showing up as (no reachable land target). It's most infuriating. Has anyone else had this problem? I can't run a fort without a working military.

What weapons are you dwarves carrying, and what order did you give them?  If they are marksdwarves, you're better off using a "Station" order to a spot near the enemy, rather than a "Kill" order targeted on one specific creature.  Especially if you're hunting something that runs in packs, like naked mole dogs.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Blurk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: March 02, 2012, 10:17:29 am »

May just be me having a brain fart, but I couldn't find if this has actually been logged yet?

This has cost the lives of a wave of 25 migrants I couldnt really use, all with useless skills.

IT WAS GLORIOUS!

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: March 02, 2012, 11:50:16 am »

I've got another fort where my soldiers won't attack something, this time naked mole dogs, with their job showing up as (no reachable land target). It's most infuriating. Has anyone else had this problem? I can't run a fort without a working military.

What weapons are you dwarves carrying, and what order did you give them?  If they are marksdwarves, you're better off using a "Station" order to a spot near the enemy, rather than a "Kill" order targeted on one specific creature.  Especially if you're hunting something that runs in packs, like naked mole dogs.

No, it's a totally new problem. In this case, I just gave my miners the 'metal armour' uniform, which should make them pick up whatever is available to use as a weapon, and attack. However, they simply won't target the critters, even if they are right next to them. In a previous fort in .02 I had this problem, the dwarves wouldn't attack a necromancer.
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.

Cali

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: March 02, 2012, 04:37:19 pm »

Not sure if this counts as buggy behavior or is just a quirk, but when starting a new game in 34.03, the wagon and the dwarves ended up on two different mountain peaks, even though there was room for the dwarves next to the wagon.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I checked the bugtracker, and it might be related to bugs 520, 558, and/or 1243, but those all involve the wagon being in an invalid location (a cave, smaller than a 3x3 space, or a frozen river), while in this case, the dwarves (and tame animals) aren't where they should be. The dwarves can reach the wagon, so it won't interfere with playing the game; I just wasn't sure if it was worth mentioning.

HiEv

• Bay Watcher
  • Denizen of Counter-Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: March 02, 2012, 05:51:00 pm »

Yup, bug number 5158 (with a few duplicates).
The difference between intelligence and stupidity is that intelligence has its limits.

Jojo

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: March 03, 2012, 05:01:50 am »

I haven't played DF for a year or two now, hoping there'd be a stable version when I'd return. Guess not.
Why not fix existing bugs before adding new features?

If there's a somewhat recent and bug-free version, I'd appreciate if someone could point it out for me.

Still, many thanks to Toady for giving me one of the best games I've ever played.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: March 03, 2012, 05:30:41 am »

I haven't played DF for a year or two now, hoping there'd be a stable version when I'd return. Guess not.

If there's a somewhat recent and bug-free version, I'd appreciate if someone could point it out for me.

Still, many thanks to Toady for giving me one of the best games I've ever played.

There will never been something as a bug-free version of an alpha game.

Despite having lots of bugs, 0.31.25 is still the most stable version yet. The new bugs introduced by 0.34.01 are still being ironed out. Later old bus will be taken care of. Notice however that even then not all bugs will be fixed.

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #113 on: March 03, 2012, 05:48:03 am »

Thanks Toady for great updates! We luvs ya!

No more digging drowning prevention ramps to every natural pool!
« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 07:32:00 am by TomiTapio »
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

Jojo

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: March 03, 2012, 05:54:10 am »

There will never been something as a bug-free version of an alpha game.

Despite having lots of bugs, 0.31.25 is still the most stable version yet. The new bugs introduced by 0.34.01 are still being ironed out. Later old bus will be taken care of. Notice however that even then not all bugs will be fixed.
Yep, alphas will have bugs, but that wasn't my point.

Thanks for the tip, 0.31.25 is the version I used to play actually. My weekend is saved-ish!  :)

YetAnotherStupidDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: March 03, 2012, 10:02:32 am »

This game will be in alpha forever. So I consider "but but it is ALPHA!!!11oneoen" an excuse. Very poor excuse.
Dwarf Fortress - where the primary reason to prevent death of your citizens is that it makes them more annoying then they were in life.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: March 03, 2012, 11:31:18 am »

This game will be in alpha forever. So I consider "but but it is ALPHA!!!11oneoen" an excuse. Very poor excuse.

I'm destroyed. I wish I had your skills in argumentation.

HiEv

• Bay Watcher
  • Denizen of Counter-Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: March 03, 2012, 06:51:49 pm »

Hopefully this is a better answer to your question.

The product is still in development, so major new features will continue to be added.  Code this complex will never be completely bug free before your start on the next major code change, so you can't wait to start until all bugs are fixed, because there will always be one more bug.  At some point you have to say, "OK, it's playable enough, time to add the next big part."  While adding the next new complex chunk of features, the code will basically be mostly broken and unplayable until they are complete.  Adding these new features also involves changing the code in a way that may make fixing some existing bugs pointless, because they're in a section of code that is going to be thrown out or massively rewritten.

So, you are left with two choices when you start working on new major features/changes: splitting your codebase or periodic bugfixes.

Splitting your codebase means that you are now basically debugging two different programs at once, the upcoming release with the new major code changes and the previous release.  A fix for one may or may not work in the other.  This means more work, potential problems with mixing up codebases, and a longer release cycle, due to the more complicated process, duplicated and/or wasted effort, and switching back and forth between two different tasks (writing a new feature and bugfixing).  The only up side is that bug fixes come continuously.

On the other hand, periodic bugfixes between releases means that you have one codebase, effort isn't wasted on fixing bugs that were going away anyways, and a faster release cycle.  It's a much simpler system.  Yes, this means that you get a "new features -> new bugs fixed -> old bugs fixed -> wait during new feature development -> repeat" cycle, which means that the bugs do not get fixed for a while during that third step, but it also means that the product as a whole gets done much more quickly.

Considering that this is a one-man programming operation, the latter is a far more simple and sensible system.  While the wait between bugfix cycles can seem a bit long to the testers/players, in the end it means that the game will get completed sooner.

I hope that helps answer your question.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 06:58:32 pm by HiEv »
The difference between intelligence and stupidity is that intelligence has its limits.

MagmaSolutionsInc

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes elves for their screaming, bubbling noises.
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: March 03, 2012, 11:26:49 pm »

This has cost the lives of a wave of 25 migrants I couldnt really use, all with useless skills.

IT WAS GLORIOUS!

Heh. I've actually exploited it for dumb vampires.

But my favourite so far was when I built a room half-way down the waterfall - partly into the mountain, with grates to let the water through, so Dwarves couldn't slip between the atom-thin cracks (which happened on an earlier attempt) - and a woodcutter promptly jumped from the (restricted) top of the waterfull into the room, and died. Followed by a duck. Who lived, and interrupted everyone's tasks. I suppose that the duck was so mangled that it put everyone off.

Yup, bug number 5158 (with a few duplicates).

Thank'ee kindly. Restricting traffic can help, but it won't stop suicidal wardogs, idiot woodcutters, and ducks.
stopped zombie cats from adopting dwarves

... with magma.

burned

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • burnedFX
« Reply #119 on: March 04, 2012, 12:56:56 am »

I have this exact issue with the new release: http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=5400
The issue was resolved with "won't fix."
Baughn notes that he does not have the card the report mentions.
I have the same drivers and OS, but not the same card (mine is a GTX 260).
Knowing that, does this make a difference if he will look into the issue again or not?
I don't seem to be able to add any notes to the mantis report, hence this post.

DFMA Profile | burnedfx Graphic Set

The process of delving into the black abyss is to me the keenest form of fascination. - H. P. Lovecraft
The Delvers
. . .the middle ground between light and shadow . . . - Rod Serling
The Delvers' Podcast
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9