Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 0.34.04 Released  (Read 77581 times)

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 0.34.04 Released
« Reply #120 on: March 04, 2012, 01:00:49 am »

I have this exact issue with the new release: http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=5400
The issue was resolved with "won't fix."
Baughn notes that he does not have the card the report mentions.
I have the same drivers and OS, but not the same card (mine is a GTX 260).
Knowing that, does this make a difference if he will look into the issue again or not?
I don't seem to be able to add any notes to the mantis report, hence this post.
"I don't want to do that unless someone else has the same problem" - the best way may be report a duplicate ticket aking for reopening of 5400.
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

burned

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • burnedFX
« Reply #121 on: March 04, 2012, 01:20:34 am »

"I don't want to do that unless someone else has the same problem" - the best way may be report a duplicate ticket aking for reopening of 5400.

I went ahead and made another report: http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=5535
I'm not sure if that's exactly how to request to reopen a ticket, but did link to the previous one.
DFMA Profile | burnedfx Graphic Set

The process of delving into the black abyss is to me the keenest form of fascination. - H. P. Lovecraft
The Delvers
. . .the middle ground between light and shadow . . . - Rod Serling
The Delvers' Podcast

grey666

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: March 04, 2012, 08:23:38 am »

I haven't played DF for a year or two now, hoping there'd be a stable version when I'd return. Guess not.
Why not fix existing bugs before adding new features?

If there's a somewhat recent and bug-free version, I'd appreciate if someone could point it out for me.

Still, many thanks to Toady for giving me one of the best games I've ever played.

I'm with this guy... been waiting 2 years for a stable release. Tried the game again last may - unplayable. Reported some bugs... still haven't been fixed. It took 9 months to get the 'U' command back on the main menu. How many new people scrapped the game? How much money was lost? That is a game-stopping bug for new players. The player-base has suffered because of it. 9 months to add "U-Unit List" to the menu.... not the command, just the text - UGHT.

Forever Alpha = forever limited player base = forever frustrating = forever shit. (I'm not calling the game shit, or Toady)
alpha=shit, beta=playable, rc=good, release=great, patched=awesome.

Moving on to new features before fixing major bugs = more bugs, on top of the old bugs. Adding new features to a game in most cases will not fix old bugs (as someone suggested on page 8) - it compounds them.

Stop and fix the major bugs for gods sake before creating new bugs. I mean... WTF?

It takes 200 hours just to get started with this game ... at least 200 hours. Fix the game-stopping bugs... please.

I agree entirely with Jojo - this is one of the best games I ever played and I've been playing computer games since 1980. It's tragic ... forever Alpha is a tragic loss in this case to computer gaming.

See you in another year...
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 08:30:40 am by grey666 »

xordae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: March 04, 2012, 10:47:05 am »

Same issue as others have reported, ARB_SYNC breaks the game. The older NVIDIA drivers worked alright with it enabled, so I'm not sure if this is a DF issue or a driver issue.

Also, sadly, I got a crash report here.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

guebstrike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: March 04, 2012, 12:13:09 pm »

There's no crying in baseball!
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 02:28:42 pm by guebstrike »
He is the former holy fungus of The Fellowship of Hell

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: March 04, 2012, 01:36:59 pm »

Jesus Christ, there's some spoiled brats on this page.
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:OFFTOPIC:5][NOTHOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: March 04, 2012, 04:38:03 pm »

No, it's a totally new problem. In this case, I just gave my miners the 'metal armour' uniform, which should make them pick up whatever is available to use as a weapon, and attack. However, they simply won't target the critters, even if they are right next to them. In a previous fort in .02 I had this problem, the dwarves wouldn't attack a necromancer.

I thought I had a similar issue, then I realized they were throwing up because I had forgotten that dwarves get light sensitive after some time underground. Fort after I had grates on the roof of the area the military was training in, later replaced them with glass.
...wonderful memories of the creeping sense of dread...

abadidea

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_8BIT_PROGRAMMER]
    • View Profile
    • 0xabad1dea
« Reply #127 on: March 04, 2012, 08:47:39 pm »

Has anyone else seen this bug: I have literally two dozen Finished Goods crates with stuff in them, but as far as the Trade Depot interface is concerned, four of them exist.

It may have something to do with the baroness banning export of figurines? But before I could still bring boxes with contraband in them to the depot, not have them vanish into the interface aether.

edit: and some balance feedback: it's cool to get a lot of married couple migrants now, but their fertility rate is so high that I am literally CONSTANTLY having my screen hijacked by pause-and-recenter birth announcements. Yes, I know I can dig into the arcane preferences file to make it not pause-and-recenter, but it is the default.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 08:49:53 pm by abadidea »
ABadIdea likes bandfire opal, black opal, claro opal, crystal opal, fire opal, harlequin opal, jelly opal, levin opal, pinfire opal, precious fire opal, red flash opal, white opal, and microcline for its vibrant hue.

glory in the thunder, resplendent in the sky <-- I wrote a whole novel. There will be more.

Lysabild

• Bay Watcher
  • Eidora Terminus Imperii Romani
    • View Profile
    • My Steam!
« Reply #128 on: March 04, 2012, 09:24:58 pm »

Jesus Christ, there's some spoiled brats on this page.
Internet in a nutshell.

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: March 04, 2012, 10:37:35 pm »

been waiting 2 years for a stable release. Tried the game again last may - unplayable. Reported some bugs... still haven't been fixed. It took 9 months to get the 'U' command back on the main menu. How many new people scrapped the game? How much money was lost? That is a game-stopping bug for new players. The player-base has suffered because of it. 9 months to add "U-Unit List" to the menu.... not the command, just the text - UGHT.

Forever Alpha = forever limited player base = forever frustrating = forever shit. (I'm not calling the game shit, or Toady)
alpha=shit, beta=playable, rc=good, release=great, patched=awesome.

Moving on to new features before fixing major bugs = more bugs, on top of the old bugs. Adding new features to a game in most cases will not fix old bugs (as someone suggested on page 8) - it compounds them.

Whoah, talk about overblown sense of entitlement there.

You guys know that the dev team for DF is basically just one guy, right? (Well, coding-wise at least; ThreeToe does have a pretty good insight into the story side of DF 'verse.) Not to mention that DF is available for anybody to download for free. Gee, I wonder how come it isn't as finished a product as some of the big-budget games on the market today?  ::) (Not to mention that "under the hood", DF is way, way, way more complex than pretty much any other game of this day and age.)

Jeez. The kids these days...
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

YetAnotherStupidDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: March 05, 2012, 12:13:41 pm »

So wanting bugs to get fixed is "overblown sense of entitlement" nowadays? Good to know.
Dwarf Fortress - where the primary reason to prevent death of your citizens is that it makes them more annoying then they were in life.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: March 05, 2012, 06:59:56 pm »

So wanting bugs to get fixed is "overblown sense of entitlement" nowadays? Good to know.

No, we all want bugs to be fixed.  But ranting on the announcement forum about how the game is "unplayable" and "shit" is pretty overblown.  (Plenty of us have been playing it, so it's obviously playable.)
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

HiEv

• Bay Watcher
  • Denizen of Counter-Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: March 05, 2012, 07:30:45 pm »

No, only when it's just the bugs that you decide are important (even when they're just minor bugs that don't affect playability, like a hidden menu option) and you want them done on your schedule, and not any schedule that makes sense from a developer standpoint.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 07:32:37 pm by HiEv »
The difference between intelligence and stupidity is that intelligence has its limits.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: March 05, 2012, 10:12:33 pm »

Toady, why are material definitions at creature level now rather than caste level? Is this an oversight, or is there a reason?
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: March 06, 2012, 05:22:26 am »

Toady, why are material definitions at creature level now rather than caste level? Is this an oversight, or is there a reason?
They've always been creature level (well, ever since they've existed), and it's presumably for indexing reasons.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]