Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Let's Play CastlevaniaRL  (Read 4251 times)

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Let's Play CastlevaniaRL
« on: February 28, 2012, 07:44:50 pm »

~ CastlevaniaRL ~

The previous one who set out to slay Dracula, the Belmonts, failed, and they succumbed to the darkness of Dracula's powers. Now Dracula has risen again, demon-hunters, warriors, and other creatures of the night have gathered to enter the depths of Dracula's Castle, and slay him before he can enslave the world. You are one such hero who has risen to challenge Dracula, you may die, or you may live, but Dracula will die by your hand if it costs you your life. That or his castle shall swallow you whole, break your spirit, and savor your slow death at the hands of its minions. Now come heroes, and let the story of how Dracula died be told, but first what is your name, and just who are you?

Spoiler: A Vanquisher Wizard? (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: A Darkness Renegade? (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: A Soul's Master? (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: A Manbeast? (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: A Knight of the Order? (click to show/hide)

Well there we go, I've been wanted to try an LP for awhile, and I decided it would be great to do roguelikes, ones other people haven't already did an LP of, and so here I am with CastlevaniaRL, I haven't played it before myself, and I'm pretty new to roguelikes, so expect me to fail at somethings :) I also doubt my abilities to beat this with just one character, so once we have chosen the first character feel free to create new ones that we can use after the first one inevitable gets slain by a deaf bat.

Spoiler: Our Current Hero (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: The Graveyard (click to show/hide)

Fishymuffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play CastlevaniaRL
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2012, 08:20:42 pm »

A Manbeast, if only for the extremely macho class name. With the name Manpork, since that too is macho, right? Though let's make use of equal opportunity and have her female.

To get: Manpork, the female Manbeast.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 08:26:47 pm by Fishymuffin »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2012, 11:07:15 pm »

Agreed with Fishy, only it should be named Jack Manpork.

The female manbeast.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Myroc

• Bay Watcher
  • Lurking Skeleton
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2012, 07:29:43 am »

Why break the tradition of burly men with whips killing vampires and various other mythological creatures? Surely we must play as Urist Belmont, Vampire Killer.
We all have problems. Some people just have more awesome problems than others.
Getting angry is fun. Getting angry over petty things even better.

Xeron

• Bay Watcher
  • Kill your family
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2012, 03:20:53 pm »

Play as a Wizzard.Name him Rincewind

Ah, the spoils of pasting one self's face onto women's bodies...

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2012, 07:30:11 pm »

Oh man, you are in for a lot of death. CastlevaniaRL is not your standard rogue-like, it vomits enemies at you and they fight aggressively. I believe, last I played, they spawn continuously. Having played several rogue-likes, I found the game incredibly hard. Maybe I just suck but the game can be very unforgiving. I'd recommend spending some time in the town at night (if you make it that far, muwhahahaha), it's a good way to build yourself up in relative safety.

Because once you head in the castle, shit gets real.

Wow, bunch of new classes. I may have to get back into this. slashie, the dev, has posted in OG before.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2012, 07:54:40 pm »

Urist Belmont it is, the first update will be tomorrow hopefully I can survive to the town :)

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2012, 09:47:10 am »

I love castlevania, I love roguelikes, I never even noticed this one existed. Watching and downloaded :D

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2012, 03:19:39 pm »

This will be our main character, the rest will go in the Hero Waitlist spoiler (Which I'll add later)
Why break the tradition of burly men with whips killing vampires and various other mythological creatures? Surely we must play as Urist Belmont, Vampire Killer.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2012, 03:51:19 pm »

So I learned something playing this time around that made things much easier.

Jump. Jump all you can. It's an unlimited 3 move action that is pretty much preferable to walking most of the time. It allows you to make distance between you and your enemies, and it saves time (which with the day/night cycle, actually means something.)

The harshness of the game remains unchanged. Died 10 or so times, even during the tutorial, until I was able to set foot in the town. Where I promptly died.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Luke_Prowler

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, how did I get back here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2012, 04:23:15 pm »

Uh, I've noticed that the Alucard stand in is pretty much better or the same that the vampire hunter in everything but Invok. Is there something very useful about that skill or is there something else about the vampire killer class that gives it an edge?

Quote from: ProtonJon
And that's why Communism doesn't work. There's always Chance Time

Minstrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2012, 05:33:17 am »

Since me and my girlfriend are currently on a Castlevania binge, I'd love to see this develop.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2012, 11:26:55 am »

Is there something very useful about that skill or is there something else about the vampire killer class that gives it an edge?

Vampire Killers get to use the mystic weapons, and their weapon gets upgraded like in the platformers, through whip orbs found in candles. So they get access to their special powers much earlier than the other classes. (They also don't cost as much per use.) So VKs tend to better better out of the box, IMO.

On the flip side, they don't get to equip anything. So maybe late game they're harder to play. 

The Dark Renegade may actually be one of the tougher classes to play starting out. They seem awfully fragile and they powers, at their starting invocation level, are freaking expensive. Invocation governs how many hearts your special powers cost. VKs start higher I assume so they can spam daggers, axes, holy water, ect...
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 12:20:46 pm by nenjin »

Shadowgandor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2012, 04:45:25 pm »

I've downloaded this game but have no idea on how to run it. I can't find any executables for life :P

warhammer651

• Bay Watcher
  • [prefstring: Attack_Attack_Attack]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2012, 04:46:34 pm »

I've downloaded this game but have no idea on how to run it. I can't find any executables for life :P
Run the .jar file
Tell me your mother isn't a Great Old One, please.