Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: THIRSTY VAMPIRES in the arena! (thanks Di)  (Read 24582 times)

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
THIRSTY VAMPIRES in the arena! (thanks Di)
« on: February 28, 2012, 11:50:59 pm »

Update: since this has been linked now I'll edit it to be tidier and a little less blatant about the syndrome name. It might appear as a blank anyway, as the vampire syndrome appears as a blank in the arena, but I can't do anything about that. New dwarven entry text:

[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:BLOOD:BLOOD_TEMPLATE]
   [BLOOD:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:BLOOD:LIQUID]
      [SYNDROME]
         [SYN_AFFECTED_CLASS:GENERAL_POISON]
         [SYN_INGESTED]
         [CE_REMOVE_TAG:NO_DRINK:START:0]

Has been tested a little more thoroughly in Arena mode now and seems to work, but even with normal dwarves hunger and thirst work strangely in the arena.

Original text follows.

----------
Edit dwarven blood to be

[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:BLOOD:BLOOD_TEMPLATE]
   [BLOOD:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:BLOOD:LIQUID]
      [ENTERS_BLOOD]
      [SYNDROME]
         [SYN_NAME:has bitten a dwarf]
         [SYN_AFFECTED_CLASS:GENERAL_POISON]
         [SYN_INGESTED]
         [CE_REMOVE_TAG:NO_DRINK:START:0]

The syndrome name line can be deleted entirely, it's just there so you can keep track of it for testing. To check this out for yourself you need two dwarves in the arena, both on the same side and one of them a vampire. Become the vampire and suck the other dwarf's blood. You should have two syndromes active, one blank one for the vampirism and one 'has bitten a dwarf' syndrome (you'll need to return to the arena to see these). Then go for a swim to kill time. Lie down and sneak as well to pass more time between turns. It'll take about a full day for the thirst status to show. Only the thirst status will show, no drowsiness or hunger.

Thanks to Di for pointing out that NO_DRINK is a removable tag. I really hope this translates into fortress mode.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 05:08:38 pm by Sutremaine »
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

NonconsensualSurgery

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: THIRSTY VAMPIRES in the arena! (thanks Di)
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2012, 01:08:52 am »

That's a good change that will help them blend in and it circumvents the alcohol dependency bug.

One detail though: if you add END:(time-units it takes a dwarf to die of thirst minus 10%) then they'll still be usable as immortal lever-pullers.
Never had a bat massacre people with an axe before.
EDIT2: Oh god, the bat has got a title now.

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2012, 10:43:08 am »

I hope it's full in-game day not irl  :)
Also, what [ENTERS_BLOOD] stands for?
Tried this in arena, well, they get said syndrome for sure.
Sadly, such modifications require regenerating world (tried).
Good job.
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2012, 11:09:58 am »

The syndrome is injected into one's blood.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2012, 11:22:43 am »

The syndrome is injected into one's blood.
Well, mostly.  It means that the syndrome will only work if it enters the bloodstream, as through a bite or sting with the SPECIALATTACK_INJECT_EXTRACT tag.
Quote from: franti
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
Quote from: Ipwnurmom221
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2012, 01:18:51 pm »

No. It's the SYNDROME_INJECTED (INHALED, CONTACT, INGESTED) tags that determine when the syndrome takes effect. Basically all the ENTERS_BLOOD token does (at least according to the wiki!) is that it makes an injected poison actually be injected into the bloodstream, rather then just being squirted all over whatever part you are attempting to inject it into.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2012, 06:38:10 pm »

Ah, so [ENTERS_BLOOD] is more creature-related than syndrome-related. I thought it was needed for systemic syndromes.

One detail though: if you add END:(time-units it takes a dwarf to die of thirst minus 10%) then they'll still be usable as immortal lever-pullers.
I just wanted the alcohol dependency fix out there. It had occured to me, along with timing hunger and drowsiness to further normalise the vampire's thought screen. The problem with the latter is that a creature doesn't need a bed to sleep (thus reducing the vampire's usefulness as a lever-puller), and also that NOSTUN creatures who go to sleep won't wake up. I suppose you could try and get around that by briefly disabling the NOSTUN tag once a week.

A permanent syndrome would still allow for isolated lever-pullers so long as there was a pit of water somewhere in the room for them to sip from. They'd get sober and slow, but they do that anyway.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2012, 10:06:49 pm »

Yes.  [ENTERS_BLOOD] refers only to the dispensing of the venom.  Not having this tag results in spatters and !!FUN!! at the cost of leaving a bloody, viral mess all over your masterpiece engravings.

I think the slaughter part is what made them angry.
OOC: Dachshundofdoom: This is how the world ends, not with a bang but with goddamn VUVUZELAS.
Those hookers aren't getting out any time soon, no matter how many fancy gadgets they have :v

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2012, 07:21:24 pm »

The new formatting of the OP has me a bit confused about what this actually does...

Does this make so that whenever a vampire first drinks dwarf blood, he will start to drink booze as well as blood?
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

Malecus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2012, 06:56:16 pm »

Acetech09: No, it resets the counter for how long the vampire has gone without drinking alcohol, thus preventing the problematic slowdown that vampires currently experience.  With this change, a vampire can maintain its normal speed as long as there are 'spare' dwarves.

Sutremaine: I had a thought occur to me as I nodded off last night.  With this change to dwarven blood, could someone subject a normal dwarf to the 'Well of Undeath' method and create a well that kept dwarves from slowing down despite a lack of alcohol in the fort?  Is this a trick for creating a viable sober fortress?

MadocComadrin

• Bay Watcher
  • A mysterious laboratory goblin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2012, 09:20:45 am »

Well, they do say that Dwaf is pretty much booze in its own right, so I wouldn't call it a sober fortress. XD

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2012, 04:06:39 pm »

Actually:
Does this make so that whenever a vampire first drinks dwarf blood, he will start to drink booze as well as blood?
Yes, it does. This then allows the vampire to drink booze to prevent the "not had a drink" slowdown. It is also why people have suggested adding an END:XX to the syndrome shortly before a normal dwarf would die of thirst. This means that after drinking  blood a vampire will be able to drink like a normal dwarf, but if they go to long without having anything to drink the syndrome should END, stopping them from dying of dehydration.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2012, 07:29:14 pm »

Sutremaine: I had a thought occur to me as I nodded off last night.  With this change to dwarven blood, could someone subject a normal dwarf to the 'Well of Undeath' method and create a well that kept dwarves from slowing down despite a lack of alcohol in the fort?  Is this a trick for creating a viable sober fortress?
If you're modding to try and do that you might as well just mod out the alcohol dependency...

I don't think it can be done. Alcohol dependency is a tag that can't be removed by syndromes (hence this workaround), so it can't be reset by temporary syndrome the way hunger and thirst are reset every month for werebeasts.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2012, 01:17:36 pm »

So does this mean my lazier idea of simply changing dwarven blood to the creature alcohol template won't work? I thought it was hilarious when I did that and they bleed "dwarf alcohol"
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_THINK:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2014, 04:47:06 am »

Sorry for the necro, but I would really like to know and it's almost 3 am, too late for me to boil down the details contained in above posts.

Can I use this (or a similar method) to allow my 4 fortress vampires to drink alcohol and therefore not suffer sobriety slowdown?
If so, could I have alcohol-drinking vampires that never drain dwarves (burrow restrictions)?
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?
Pages: [1] 2