Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Creature Assist - Basic Bugmen  (Read 4713 times)

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
Creature Assist - Basic Bugmen
« on: February 29, 2012, 03:32:35 am »

Howdy, y'all! It's been a while since I tried my hand at modding, and I've undertaken a modest project to make a simpler version my girlfriend can play. If you're wondering why I've been away from the forum so long, blame her... :P

Unfortunately, the insect race (slapdashed from antmen, with the appropriate civ tags tweaked and only two castes) I am using to replace the titular dwarves simply won't let me complete worldgen - it terminates right after Megabeasts and/or cave civ placement. Despite the copy-paste similarity, they shouldn't be overlapping with antmen, so I figure they might just be unable to be placed? Please take a look at these raws and tell me where I've goofed up.

The only change I've made is deleting dwarves and replacing them with the following creature and entity entries. I removed a number of item entries to let the bugmen not deal with clothing hassles, but kept armor; I originally tried egg-laying in the creature entry but removed it, though there was no change in survivability.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Blakmane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Creature Assist - Basic Bugmen
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2012, 04:31:48 am »

what does your error log say?

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2012, 04:37:16 am »

ive been attempting to fix it for him for about 5 minutes now

my errorlog says:

so i believe either i fucked up horribly or its to do with his creatures body setup

nvm i fixed it
replace HUMANOID_2ARMS with HUMANOID in the body section
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 04:39:54 am by Unholy_Pariah »
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2012, 09:02:50 am »

D'oh! the HUMANOID thing should have been obvious... unfortunately, I tweaked it and it still won't resolve, even after adding HUMANOID_JOINTS in case those were important.

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2012, 09:24:30 am »

thats odd

send me your revised raws and ill take a look
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2012, 09:26:17 am »

Revised raws:

Nothing changed on the entity file except removing beard preferences.

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2012, 09:27:55 am »

point of clarification... is this creature in an existing creature file or did you make your own text document for it?

what i mean is, did you put it in creature_standard.txt or creature bugman/raxid.txt
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 09:31:53 am by Unholy_Pariah »

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2012, 09:32:05 am »

I deleted dwarves from the creature_standard and put these in its place. The entity entry is also in the original entity_default, with dwarves cut.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2012, 09:32:50 am »

Post what's showing up in your error logs now, as there's nothing obviously wrong with them that I can see.

Also, these dudes don't seem very antlike at all. You really ought to at least give them mandibles or something, and antennae.

You can remove HUMANOID_JOINTS no problem, I think. It's not like they're necessary.

EDIT: They also don't have lungs. This might be a problem; I'm not sure how the game handles creatures that need to breathe but don't have breathing parts. Then again, neither do regular antmen, so that's probably not the issue.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 09:36:33 am by G-Flex »
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2012, 09:34:47 am »

well my fix was to just paste you're creature at the bottom of creature standard and the simply change

[ENTITY:MOUNTAIN]
   [CIV_CONTROLLABLE]
   [CREATURE:DWARF]
to
[ENTITY:MOUNTAIN]
   [CIV_CONTROLLABLE]
   [CREATURE:RAXID]

in the entity file

not sure if its related but are you using a texture pack? im testing in ascii fortress

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2012, 09:39:27 am »

okay that is very odd, tried it your way and instead of the crashes i got at the start (which i took to be your meaning)
now im getting controllable civ rejections... most interesting

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2012, 09:44:02 am »

Alright! Got it to work by just adding raxids and swapping the MOUNTAIN entity to them. Quick test for any other problems... it seems they're not mining for some reason. That's odd. Very, very odd.

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2012, 09:45:07 am »

well ive reached the conclusion that dwarf fortress simply requires dwarves, so now its time to look at the mining bug :D

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2012, 09:52:20 am »

Fixed the mining problem! Turns out they were too small to wield their picks and such. Ha ha!

Well, now that it's stable, I do have a few more questions... does anyone know if egg-laying works with sentients, or do nestboxes and all that just backfire horribly?

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 29, 2012, 09:55:05 am »

lol i recall hearing something about that happening in another mod

and yes id assume it would backfire horribly especially when you're raxids start hauling them to the food stockpile and eating them

EDIT:HUZZAH! a nest box has been claimed... now to see if they hatch

EDIT2: it appears they can become distracted and actually leave to complete tasks after laying eggs...
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 10:04:32 am by Unholy_Pariah »

Pages: [1] 2