Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Vampire nickname fixed. Now what?  (Read 20133 times)

paraxite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Vampire nickname fixed. Now what?
« on: February 29, 2012, 09:31:33 pm »

Apperently Toady thought that the vampire nickname trick was a bug, and fix this in 0.34.04
Now what will we do to find out vampires?

ASCIt

• Bay Watcher
  • ._.
    • View Profile
Re: Vampire nickname fixed. Now what?
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2012, 09:35:08 pm »

Wait for them to accuse animals?
This is a very dorfy thread, and you WILL read it.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2012, 09:36:29 pm »

That's also fixed.  Warm your paranoia engines, it's gonna get messy.

Crioca

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2012, 09:37:19 pm »

Inspect them for human bone jewellery?

Exiledhero99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2012, 09:38:32 pm »

I've heard they don't get hungry or thirsty. So maybe building a holding area for incoming migrant waves and seeing if they all get hungry or not? Alternatively, use the same system to see if anyone in the wave goes missing randomly.
If you hit a dwarf with moving water with sufficient strength it will knock the baby out of the mother's arms.  The water can then be used to sweep the baby into a well or cistern for drowning.  The device which does this can also double as a mist generator.

Eddren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2012, 09:38:33 pm »

Accuse only dwarves you know NOT to be vampires(Including the Hammerer) until there are only Vampires left?
Ah, my dwarven heart beats with fierce pride for this.  I can't take it anymore!  I have to go do something profound.

trees

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUNDANE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2012, 09:38:33 pm »

Wait for them to accuse animals?

Quote from: devlog 02/21/2012
  • vampires won't try to pin crimes on animals

My suggestion: take out one of the walls in each bedroom and replace it with a window that can be looked through from the hallway, and set fortress guards to patrol the hall regularly.

In case that wasn't clear:

Code: [Select]
####
#.0#
#..#
#X+########
...... to rest of bedrooms -->
###########

# - wall
. - floor
X - window
+ - door
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 09:43:05 pm by trees »
I am often bad at phrasing things - don't hesitate to ask for clarification if something I said doesn't make sense.

dragginmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2012, 09:39:27 pm »

Refuse to upgrade?

Read histories, be suspicious of talented immigrants... Pay Attention.

paraxite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2012, 09:42:51 pm »

Well, I usually used the nickname trick to ensure that someone was a vampire. You could guess that some dwarf is a vampire by seeing if he lived many site and a lot of experience in many different jobs.
Also, I think that when a vampire uses a fake name, Dwarf Therapist still shows the real name.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2012, 09:49:51 pm »

Build a drowning room.  Send the suspected vampire in, and then fill it with water.  If they drown, they weren't a vampire.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2012, 09:54:28 pm »

"Dunk tank"

Normal dwarves will freak out if plunged into 4/7 or deeper water, and head for the shore.
Vampire dwarves don't seem to care, and will gladly chill out in the flooded pool.

Bonus, make it a burrow that you put all the migrants in, with a single crowded exit path to a safe room.  Fill the pool with the meeting hall.

The vampires will wade out in the pool totally unconcerned.  Normal dwarves will spam about finding paths.

Eddren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2012, 09:56:16 pm »

Seriously? No-one else thinks it's a good idea to murder all your dwarves in an attempt to find that one vampire. We've lost Magma. We've lost Dwarfiness. What's left in the world to guide and protect...Eh...Yeah...Protect our dwarves?! Where is our honor?!
Ah, my dwarven heart beats with fierce pride for this.  I can't take it anymore!  I have to go do something profound.

Nan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2012, 09:56:38 pm »

Lock suspected vampire in room with child. If the suspect gets hungry and thirsty then let it out. If it eats the child then feed it more children.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2012, 10:02:47 pm »

oooh! ooh! I've got the solution.  Build a T intersection with some zombies at the top of the T behind fortifications (or stone windows ;) ).  Have all migrants file in single file from left to right, so the zombies are on their left.  When they get to the intersection, the vampires will continue on to the right exit, while non vampires, being scared to death of zombies, should run away from the windows (down the stem of the T) where they can be corraled, calmed, and integrated into your non-blood-sucking population.  The vampires can, of course, then be integrated into your rapid-reaction-militia/execution squads.

The only flaw I can think of, is if the heartbeat equipped dwarves run back the way they came instead of turning right to run away from the Zs.  :-\
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 29, 2012, 10:06:39 pm »

Build a drowning room.  Send the suspected vampire in, and then fill it with water.  If they drown, they weren't a vampire.

This with many pumps to remove the water. Maybe label this lever "just kidding". You don't have to drown anyone, just get the "drowning" tag to show up, or not.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5