Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 682 683 [684] 685 686 ... 759

Author Topic: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread  (Read 1220521 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread
« Reply #10245 on: June 12, 2015, 12:56:11 pm »

Yeah SirQuiamus, GG discussion is haram on Bay12 since it kept getting people b&

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10246 on: June 12, 2015, 01:00:53 pm »

"That stuff is like pitch – it stains everything it touches."

Moghjubar

• Bay Watcher
  • Science gets you to space.
    • View Profile
    • Demon Legend
« Reply #10247 on: June 12, 2015, 03:54:29 pm »

Last few pages

Critical structural error: Missing Sides.  This program must now terminate.
Steam ID
Making things in Unity
Current Project: Demon Legend
Also working on THIS! Farworld Pioneers
Mastodon

Mr. Strange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10248 on: June 12, 2015, 04:31:52 pm »

It was inevitable.

Seriously, I don't understand how anyone can say they couldn't see it coming. When you have a group dedicated to a [insert cause here] that they feel strongly about, that forms echo chamber, you have an ideal conditions for selfish and narcissisitic idiots to use [insert cause here] rethorics for personal gain and/or to push their own agenda. Politics and bussiness are full of examples of this, medicine, especially the so called "alternative" medicine is notorious for its quacks, religious fundies get regularly duped by faith healers etc. Yet social issues are supposed to be different, place where abuse doesn't happen because they are supposed to be fighting abuse so obviously they can't be acused of it...
People, I'll never understand them.
Then you get cities like Paris where you should basically just kill yourself already.

You won’t have to think anymore: it’ll be just like having fun!

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10249 on: June 12, 2015, 06:30:21 pm »

All this Colezlaw hoo-haa is just the tip of the iceberg: It overshadows the fact that it's always hugely beneficial to an individual to be part of an "oppressed" minority.

Don't believe me? Just ask Dubya's li'l bro. He knows his shit.

Quote from: Jeb
People have gradually learned that being a victim gives rise to certain entitlements, benefits and preferences in society. These entitlements are bestowed with little or no corresponding responsibilities. The surest way to get something in today's society is to elevate one's status to that of the oppressed. Many of the modern victim movements, the gay rights movement, the feminist movement, the black empowerment movement and other movements based on social status or race have attempted to get people to view themselves as part of a smaller group deserving of something from society rather than viewing themselves as an integral part of a society in which they strive to make a contribution to the whole.
In reality, these so-called "victims" are, and have always been, the privileged ones. The entire concept of inequality is a complete scam based on fabricated victimhood.

End of Story.

Suck. It. Up.

[/sarcasm][/late-night internet angst]
« Last Edit: June 12, 2015, 06:59:17 pm by SirQuiamus »

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #10250 on: June 12, 2015, 06:43:35 pm »

Now, wait a minute. That's about as sound an argument as if I were to say, "Dubya's vision of a democratic Iraq proves that the entire concept of spreading democracy is all about knocking over governments and profiting off the chaos."

People certainly do abuse the concept of privilege for their own ends, just as people abuse any concept for personal gain, no matter how valid it might be. Shit, man, people occasionally use rocks to break windows for a burglary. Should we ban all stones? You're going to have to do better than this non-argument.

EDIT: It's weird because you had exactly the right of it about 6 hours ago.

She's the flesh-and-blood embodiment of the "deceitful SJW" stereotype that right-wing nutters have been constantly invoking for years. Remember GG and all that spurious victim blaming? Well, now they have a real-life example of a civil rights advocate who's actually been outed as a pathological liar and a habitual fabricator, in addition to being clearly off her damned rocker. It's like Christmas for Gators, MRAs, Supremacists, Fundies... the scum of the internet is gathering together to celebrate their God-given strawmanperson turned into reality!
« Last Edit: June 12, 2015, 06:46:28 pm by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #10251 on: June 12, 2015, 06:47:17 pm »

I'm siding with late night angst; privilege pyramid is very easily exploited by maximizing diversity points

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #10252 on: June 12, 2015, 06:51:23 pm »

Hey, you're not wrong. It is very easily exploited, just like any other heuristic for making social judgments. You're not getting rid of those! They're way too key to how we function. The answer here is a lot easier than overhauling a social movement - exercise some critical thinking on a day-to-day basis and hold people accountable for their flaws, instead of declaring everything related to their flaws to be also a flaw.

EDIT: This is exactly what anybody who falls into the SJW-Tumblrite Stereotype needs to learn, too. It's the same damn flaw. You don't need to be clever and diagnose "what's wrong with society" these days, you just need to be a decent human being.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2015, 06:53:33 pm by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #10253 on: June 12, 2015, 06:55:26 pm »

I'm personally coming down on the side that states that anyone claiming to agree with Jeb "Let's Completely Fooking Destroy Florida's Education System" Bush is in fact playing at satire and/or sarcasm. Otherwise they wouldn't have the necessary brain power to continue to breath.

For these moments, as per usual, I recommend the sarcasm font, georgia.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10254 on: June 12, 2015, 07:01:55 pm »

I sorta thought that "late-night internet angst" would also spell out "desperate sarcasm," considering that my previous posts were the exact opposite of Jeb's drivel.

But really, his brand of sophistry is very interesting since it's becoming the accepted truth in certain circles, even in Finland. Which is why all that angst.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2015, 07:05:18 pm by SirQuiamus »

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #10255 on: June 12, 2015, 07:02:24 pm »

I suck, surprising no one. Carry on.

EDIT: What a way to start a new page.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10256 on: June 13, 2015, 01:27:07 am »

That is cultural appropriation greatorder, and therefore worse than being Hitler. Everyone knows you can only do things that people of your skin colour also do.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10257 on: June 13, 2015, 02:08:28 am »

I'll be honest, I've yet to actually see someone seriously talking about themselves as transracial. :T It's just a little odd to see all these people talking about it as if it were an actual thing, and not actually see any of these supposedly (non-Poe) transracial people.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

aenri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10258 on: June 13, 2015, 02:09:13 am »

You can't change culture or race like underpants. It takes a lot of time to change culture, and even in the end you won't ever be accepted, only tolerated (not even that when you have wrong race). There are great differences between cultures and races, and surmounting them is no easy task.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2015, 02:10:59 am by aenri »

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10259 on: June 13, 2015, 02:55:02 am »

I can't even words, this is just too hilariously out there. Oh well, at least it's something that almost everyone, regardless of political orientation, can laugh at.

Edit: Oh dear God, Milo Yiannopoulos got ahold of it. This is going to be interesting.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2015, 03:01:21 am by Morrigi »
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!
Pages: 1 ... 682 683 [684] 685 686 ... 759