Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 712 713 [714] 715 716 ... 759

Author Topic: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread  (Read 1220297 times)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
Re: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread
« Reply #10695 on: July 30, 2015, 08:12:36 pm »

That's actually kinda encouraging.  Maybe they really do just want it to be on record, to avoid blackmail.
Also Jock totally merges with the black helicopter, it's all explained in these documents
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 08:28:22 pm by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #10696 on: July 30, 2015, 08:17:44 pm »

Yeah, for the most part, the government doesn't give a fuck what you do as long as it's not illegal. And as long as enough people know about it that it can't be used to blackmail you.

Like my extramarital affair. If that was secret (and/or if I had lied about it and the Feds found out), that would be an immediate disqualifier. Since all my close friends and family (and y'all) know about it, it's deemed a non-issue. Which is probably part of why I'm so open about it. Don't want to give them any rope to hang me with, even if my clearance is currently inactive.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10697 on: July 31, 2015, 09:08:17 am »

At this point I guess its safer to only give clearance to people that are openly deviant, as theyll be much harder to blackmail even if they actually were hiding something else.

I for one welcome our new exhibitionist zoo-pedo-maso-sado-necrophile overlords.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Calidovi

• Bay Watcher
  • agnus dei
    • View Profile
« Reply #10698 on: July 31, 2015, 12:27:45 pm »

theyll be much harder to blackmail even if they actually were hiding something else.

People still judge them if they're open about it.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10699 on: July 31, 2015, 12:34:18 pm »

I was talking about the legitimate security concern of not wanting blackmailable people with security clearances. If you're open about it, people can't blackmail it for you. Itf it's well known you're a pervert deviant, people can't blackmail you with anything (that's not illegal at least). Which lead to the hiarious idea of intelligence agencies hiring only well known deviants.

"Look, you look like perfect spy material... But you're scoring too low on the deviance scale. Why don't you hump a dog dressed as a cheerleader and post the photo on FB?"

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Calidovi

• Bay Watcher
  • agnus dei
    • View Profile
« Reply #10700 on: July 31, 2015, 12:51:12 pm »

I was talking about the legitimate security concern of not wanting blackmailable people with security clearances. If you're open about it, people can't blackmail it for you. Itf it's well known you're a pervert deviant, people can't blackmail you with anything (that's not illegal at least). Which lead to the hiarious idea of intelligence agencies hiring only well known deviants.

"Look, you look like perfect spy material... But you're scoring too low on the deviance scale. Why don't you hump a dog dressed as a cheerleader and post the photo on FB?"

Oh, I see. Personally, it would not be a problem. But when dealing with others it'd probably incur the same "WTF" reaction.

Also, I found my future career.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10702 on: August 13, 2015, 08:53:23 pm »

Cool. Hopefully someone loses the key.

Not like it really matters, the maximum charge for everything related to the UCMJ is extreme. It's not like we're going to put Bergdahl up against a wall and shoot him like we should, despite that being the appropriate penalty in the book for desertion in a time of war.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10703 on: August 13, 2015, 09:04:38 pm »

"Indefinite" solitary confinement is a ridiculous punishment for those charges.  There's no reason to torture someone like that, even a traitor.  Even if she's being uncooperative.  At least set a time, which she can count out by meals.

Besides, there's no law which calls for torturing traitors.  Because it's pointless and inhuman.  This is more evil than "enhanced interrogation", and that's saying a fucking lot.
She/they
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10704 on: August 13, 2015, 09:10:08 pm »

Indefinite isn't being used in the sense of a Count of Monte Cristo-eqsue sentence, it's being used in the sense of general disrespect, disorderly conduct, ect. not having a specified punishment length because they're all open ended offenses.  But nah, Chelsea is a great hero and all that who's being silenced by the man.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10705 on: August 13, 2015, 09:23:43 pm »

Yeah, it doesn't mean infinite.  I still don't feel comfortable with anybody being subjected to indefinite solitary.  It's cruel and unusual, and pointless.

I mean, you could make the argument that torturing traitors would discourage other traitors.  But then it ought to be public and visceral.  Put her on a podium in Time Square and lash her until she recants.  Make a spectacle of it!  Because if the purpose is to scare people out of "betraying" the country, it needs to be public to work.

Don't just torture her quietly, and pretend it's not torture - that doesn't help at all.  It's just vicious.
She/they

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10706 on: August 13, 2015, 09:32:00 pm »

It's not even being used in the context of indefinite "yeah, we'll let you out when we let you out" it's being used in the context of "there isn't a set stint in solitary for this shit. We'll figure it out in whatever the article 15 equivalent is once you're already in Leavenworth"

Personally, I'd be damn happy if I didn't have to read the name Chelsea Manning until her 35 year sentence is up, but that's hardly going to happen. Shit, I suppose the next thing will be a complaint out of Anders Breivik's book about her accommodations not being nice enough, though.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #10707 on: August 13, 2015, 11:21:17 pm »

It's not even being used in the context of indefinite "yeah, we'll let you out when we let you out" it's being used in the context of "there isn't a set stint in solitary for this shit. We'll figure it out in whatever the article 15 equivalent is once you're already in Leavenworth"
Yeah, when you piss off the government and then get thrown in solitary with no legal limit for keeping toothpaste past its expiration date, there's nothing to be afraid of there :/

I don't think anyone deserves the death penalty, I don't see why anyone deserves straight up torture (which is what any significant stay in solitary is).
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #10708 on: August 13, 2015, 11:34:26 pm »

Chelsea Manning facing potential indefinite solitary confinement for a bunch of ridiculous shit.
>_>
This isn't even reasonable...Dear goodness...
Even a psychological evaluation would be better [because all of this isn't even meritous of such punishments] (as in, poking at attitude--as the judgement here is bloody outrageous on her).

...How is all that valid by law there? Or...reasonable by law? Seems like a ton of assumptions being put in between and ending with a period labelled 'judgement'. o_O Solitary confinement doesn't even make sense at all.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #10709 on: August 13, 2015, 11:36:54 pm »

Yer makin' the assumption that the law in the US gives much of a shit about prisoners, tiru. That's an unfortunately poor assumption to make.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 ... 712 713 [714] 715 716 ... 759