Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 737 738 [739] 740 741 ... 759

Author Topic: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread  (Read 1221242 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread
« Reply #11070 on: December 18, 2015, 05:10:33 pm »

I think I'll start exclusively referring to him as a "thug" from now on. Two can play the perception manipulation game.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #11071 on: December 18, 2015, 06:15:58 pm »

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11072 on: December 18, 2015, 10:16:19 pm »

Not sure if it's "progressive" or not, but apparently the senators tacked CISA onto the Omnibus bill (Which I hear is the government budget bill which is 100% guaranteed to pass no matter what), and was just signed by Obama into law.

How did I hear about this? Reddit is starting to explode over it; even spilling into the game-specific subreddits.

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11073 on: December 18, 2015, 10:42:11 pm »

seriously why does this tack things people wont pass onto laws thing exist? its like the opposite of a democratic process.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11074 on: December 18, 2015, 11:20:28 pm »

Well, to be fair it's negotiation.  "We feel this bill is a bad one, but we'll let you pass it in exchange for doing this unrelated stuff we thing is good."

Or "This bill doesn't benefit us enough, give us unrelated concessions" to be cynical.  It isn't (completely) about profit, it's mostly about getting re-elected.  Profit helps with that.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #11075 on: December 19, 2015, 04:14:59 am »

Please don't quote Truean.

Thank you.

But no Bohandas that's not the heart of the problem. The real issue is he got extra special soft treatment expressly because he's super rich and couldn't even manage to come through on that (just stay in your nice house and don't screw up). There are truly insane people out there who don't get NGRI (Not Guilty by Reason of Insanity) and they really truly deserve that defense, because they're trying to eat soup with an envelope and need real help. This affluenza guy didn't deserve an insanity plea, especially solely and entirely on the grounds he is super rich. If you or I or nearly anybody else did what this brat did we'd totally be in for an extended jail stay.

And the worst part is the big picture. This is yet another thing people will remember when they say "the insanity plea is bullshit." No, it really isn't, just because this case didn't deserve the benefit of one. For every one standout case like this, there are at least 20 legit ones being screwed out of the benefit of a real mental health defense and actually needed treatment (lots of homeless people have untreated mental health issues). Either way, this rich kid is going to come out of this better than anyone else (openly because he's rich) and those poor actually crazy people will get screwed, again.
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #11076 on: December 19, 2015, 04:32:05 am »

Well this looks like a thing I want to be involved in.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #11077 on: December 19, 2015, 10:17:40 am »

... well, if you're intent on going through that much effort, what are your complaints about it?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Antsan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11078 on: December 19, 2015, 10:34:06 am »

I don't know what CISA is and thus it is awful. Boooo!

(Can anybody please explain what CISA is?)
Taste my Paci-Fist

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11079 on: December 19, 2015, 11:06:21 am »

I don't know what CISA is and thus it is awful. Boooo!

(Can anybody please explain what CISA is?)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cybersecurity_Information_Sharing_Act

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11080 on: December 19, 2015, 03:19:20 pm »

« Last Edit: December 19, 2015, 03:20:52 pm by Truean »

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11081 on: December 19, 2015, 03:21:47 pm »

Well no. That comparison betrays a horrible ignorance of Orwell's writings.

As a meme it may be correct however - I don't know enough about CISA to comment on that.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11082 on: December 19, 2015, 03:29:18 pm »

Dude, 1984. Against social injustice, totalitarianism.... Thought crime, omnipresent government surveillance and Big Brother. I love Orwell. Animal Farm, et al.

Please don't quote me.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11083 on: December 19, 2015, 03:37:55 pm »

Technically it's only a bill enabling increased government surveillance.  But social injustice, totalitarianism, and the (increased) persecution of thought crime might inevitably increase under such surveillance.

Though it can be argued that a measure of surveillance is necessary for a safe society.  The government certainly has a lot of data it *could* pursue as "thought crime", but does not.

Quote from: Benjamin Franklin
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
We should keep this in mind, but also not misremember it.  People often quote it without the "essential" and "little temporary" qualifiers.  It's obvious to all but the most anarchic that *some* surveillance and restriction is required for a safe and just society.

That's all theoretical though, I haven't looked into the bill much.  I honestly believe it probably goes way too far, as these bills tend to do.  We should just keep in mind that it's a question of degree, not absolutes.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #11084 on: December 19, 2015, 04:29:47 pm »

Government also has a fair amount of data it could pursue as thought crime, and does, though, as we've seen from persistent accounts of harassment and infiltration and whatnot of various activist (and in more recent years, religious as well) groups. It's fair to be leery about giving them more official powers to, well, do just that.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 ... 737 738 [739] 740 741 ... 759