Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 739 740 [741] 742 743 ... 759

Author Topic: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread  (Read 1212862 times)

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
Re: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread
« Reply #11100 on: January 03, 2016, 07:39:47 am »

Please don't quote:

http://news.yahoo.com/scalia-dismisses-concept-religious-neutrality-speech-202953789.html

Wow. Quick quote coming from Scalia last month, "In December he came under fire for comments he made during an affirmative action case, questioning whether some black students would benefit from going to a "slower-track school" instead of Texas' flagship campus in Austin." And, now, this....

There's a lot wrong with this & other comments, namely the absence of reasoning or fact. Basically, Scalia isn't a priest and needs to stop being pushy. He won't, but still. He's making more incorrect remarks about religion and invoking God and stuff. The US isn't special here, every country in history did that. Religion can be misused. Everyone has invoked god(s), like Greeks (Zeus Ares), Romans (Jupiter, Mars), Crusades, holy wars, religious military orders, Aztec religious practices, Cortes's Conquistadors, etc. Our enemies did it too: Britain was religious during the American Revolution, Axis Italy during WWII, ISIS claims religious holy status (they're horrid murdering terrorists).

The enemy also prays and hopes God ignores the prayers of his opponents. The idea that invoking or honoring God makes you correct is wrong, because that can be abused, and just saying "God" doesn't make that person God or correct. Pay attention to why they say it. The founders knew this and there is a reason for separation of church and state....

Meanwhile the whole thing just upsets me, or did, and I can no longer muster the energy to care. The fact is Scalia is in power and whoever is president next term is going to replace 1, or 2 justices on the court. I am terrified at who Donald Trump would appoint. It's become a politically riddled ideological crapshoot that doesn't care about actual people, unless those "people" are corporations and / or large corporate like organizations.... It's pretty clear the average individual American is losing out, unless they completely buy in to some group or other.

I am only attracted to men; religion just spent years & billions of dollars trying to make it illegal and unconstitutional for me to marry one and finally lost. So, no, I don't want them given special status.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2016, 07:43:37 am by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11101 on: January 03, 2016, 08:44:46 am »

So he thinks that the victories the USA has had is because they love god? Including the independence war? The one that was against another country that believes in the exact same god and has it part of the running of the country?
lol k then
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11102 on: January 03, 2016, 09:11:24 am »

Please no quoting especially since 90%+ of what I say is satire and sarcasm:

Trump Scalia 2016!

Fuck it; why not?

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11103 on: January 03, 2016, 09:12:26 am »

I don't see anything wrong with a president specifically mentioning any god he feels like in a speech, but the idea that religious can have a public bias over non-religious seems patently ridiculous to me
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11104 on: January 03, 2016, 09:15:30 am »

Dude, Strife, ditto. Anybody can mention any God all they want. I just wish they wouldn't think they were God (always right) because they mentioned him.

Please don't quote me.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #11105 on: January 03, 2016, 10:47:46 am »

We got a new archbisshop in the Netherlands. In a speech a while ago he called homosexuality "something that's not natural".
Our standup comedian Herman Finkers, who did the new year's eve conference this year, had a nice reply to that.
He said
"I hear our new archbisshop regards homosexuality as something that's not natural. Which would put it in the same category as walking on water, and rising from the dead. I am happy to hear that the catholic church finally sees homosexuality as a Miracle"
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #11106 on: January 03, 2016, 01:08:23 pm »

The reason for separation of church and state was that the United States of America has in its unique position in the world been able to and needed to distance itself from the religious leaders of the world, historically the Anglican Church and the Papacy, hence why it was so significant that the first Catholic President did not kiss the Pope's hand but rather shook it as a head of state and not a Catholic. Doesn't stop the USA using the Papacy and Anglican Church however, so you have those most amusing situations where both Anglican and Catholic heads are modernist liberals who lend their voices not towards strengthening their respective branches of Christianity but instead strengthening progressivism, with the most amusing ones being where the Church of England for example is led by liberal rationalists with bishops holding disestablishmentarian agendas of themselves and their peers. Or the Catholic Church which whilst working with the right-wing Americans during the cold war declared communists an enemy of the faith, whilst today on immigration, climate change and capitalism the Papacy's views are in line with progressivism, only differing on abortion where the Pope's neutral.
On the topic of prayer to God and enemies praying to God, unless you subscribe to the very Roman belief that you have a divine patron capable of helping you out, most do not pray to God to receive gifts, but to humble themselves. Of the three Abrahamic religions the Muslims bow to the ground in prayer and Islam itself means submission to God, the Christians teach that pride goes before destruction and attributes any personal success to God's achievement and Jewish prayer is an act of self-judgement. These are all acts to humble yourself and reduce your individual importance, your arrogance and to improve yourself to honour God. In Mahayana Buddhism pride is one of the five poisons which is the root of all suffering. In Hinduism self-respect is desirable, but excessive self-respect undesirable and an obstacle to peace and happiness.
I find it as a matter of intrigue why all these faiths seek to humble their followers and why modernist sects abandon this humility. Had a chat with my Muslim m8s a while back and they brought this up in regards to America about how America puts Caesar before God whilst Islam puts God before Caesar, which also means that people should not obey their leaders and should obey God. It's a wonderful check on state power, where if the globalists try to push too hard and fuck over the faithful too much too quickly, they have no obligation to obey Caesar when they follow God. Just look at countries like Malaysia, Indonesia, Iran, Poland, Russia, China, Saudi Arabia and so on where religious groups or even state-driven responses have arisen in reaction to globalists trying to impose foreign regimes and values on them. For them, it is not a fight to make turning against God (literal sin e.t.c.) illegal, but a fight against those who would make it legal.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11107 on: January 03, 2016, 02:00:53 pm »

So he thinks that the victories the USA has had is because they love god? Including the independence war? The one that was against another country that believes in the exact same god and has it part of the running of the country?
lol k then

God really loves the Vietnamese, it seems.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11108 on: January 03, 2016, 03:24:06 pm »

Well, if you place Vietnam as a segment of the Cold War, the USA certainly won that one and was certainly the more religious party.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #11109 on: January 03, 2016, 03:56:35 pm »

>imblyin

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #11111 on: January 04, 2016, 03:50:11 am »

In fairness, I never did look at nature preserves that way. I can't say I agree, or even think they're particularly sane, but hey.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #11112 on: January 04, 2016, 04:21:39 am »

In fairness, I never did look at nature preserves that way. I can't say I agree, or even think they're particularly sane, but hey.

What do you mean? As a way to preserves Redneckitus insanitus?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #11113 on: January 04, 2016, 04:44:01 am »

As in some way harming the local rednecks. They're clearly just insane, but hey.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11114 on: January 04, 2016, 01:04:13 pm »

Is that Cliven Bundy who ran the big armed gangs to scare off government officials? As bad as it is, I kind of hope he starts something violent with consequences so that he gets arrested proper.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑
Pages: 1 ... 739 740 [741] 742 743 ... 759