Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 747 748 [749] 750 751 ... 759

Author Topic: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread  (Read 1212844 times)

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
Re: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread
« Reply #11220 on: January 08, 2016, 08:32:42 pm »

If this is genuine it's got to organised on some higher level. You don't get 1000 people in one place just by them organising it on a peer to peer level with one another.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #11221 on: January 08, 2016, 08:35:26 pm »

If this is genuine it's got to organised on some higher level. You don't get 1000 people in one place just by them organising it on a peer to peer level with one another.
it's called twitter and facebook m8 lol, go see the London riots or the Arab spring to see how you don't need shadow illuminati to get a spot of cheeki brekci ultraviolence going

Group spontaneous movement is ezmode in today's world

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11222 on: January 08, 2016, 08:36:27 pm »

The London riots were just a prank, and I don't know shit about the Arab Spring. Thought it was referring to a longer term thing than just one event.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #11223 on: January 08, 2016, 08:41:11 pm »

The London riots were just a prank, and I don't know shit about the Arab Spring. Thought it was referring to a longer term thing than just one event.
"just a prank"?!!!!

You having a laff m8?

Also most of the Arab spring was organized via social media, hence why some shut down the internet temporarily to stop their countries following Libya or Tunisia

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11224 on: January 08, 2016, 08:43:55 pm »

"just a prank"?!!!!

You having a laff m8?
Yes. It's just a prank bro. LOOTING SHOPS PRANKS (in the hood)(gone wrong)(gone sexual)(almost got shot?!)
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11225 on: January 08, 2016, 09:52:05 pm »

The Helsinki police reports "having prevented a second Cologne".
Media is spreading Colognese Whispers across the internet...

They claim to have had intel about mass sexual assaults being planned for New Year's Eve,
Turned out to be false intel.

Despite their increased prescence, police recieved many complaints about sexual harrasment on a central square where about twenty thousand people had gathered to celebrate. More harrassment complaints came from the central station area...
The police received exactly three reports of sexual assault, none of which happened in the vicinity of the central station.

...where apparently a group of 1000, mostly Iraqi refugees had gathered.
The cops pulled that number out of their arses, presumably because they were in a festive mood (happy new year 1000 AD for you too!). We do know that there was a group of [insert arbitrary large number] Iraqi(?) refugees/immigrants/islamist infiltrators at the station, but they were apparently too busy swilling beer and fighting amongst themselves to get their rape on.

Also, the aforemention "adjunct chief of police" claimed that "some of our young women may turn out to be interested and excited about the prospect of rape." I'm assuming that he died of alcohol poisoning shortly after.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #11226 on: January 08, 2016, 10:50:20 pm »

Voice of Reason and Citations, I beseech you!

Where is my peer-reviewed media outlet for confirming and/or denying any and/or all of these claims free of hype?

Alas, it is nowhere to be found.

I find myself believing SirQuiamus over martinuzz, at the moment, though.

Honestly I have to wonder if this is basically just Europe having to deal with a bit more ethnic diversity than they have in the past. They still need to get past the 'horrible ethnic tension' phase, and up to the 'ethnic tension' phase, where America's managed to get.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11227 on: January 09, 2016, 12:07:07 am »

Eh, it's more about the way Europe copes with migrants. The Ruhr area in German took in a shitload of Polish migrants in the 19th century, but instead of adding their culture to ours we simply assimilated them...
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11228 on: January 09, 2016, 01:14:00 am »

I cited sources for pretty much everything I said in my previous posts in the thread, if you'd like to check. The quote from Imam Shahid Mehdi wasn't linked to specifically, but as I provided the quote verbatim it's simple enough to google it.

Hey! What were your sources for these posts?

Spoiler: These posts (click to show/hide)

I can't see any.
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11229 on: January 09, 2016, 01:36:19 am »

So you're going from "I provide sources for pretty much everything" to "I don't need to provide sources because it's so obvious". Alright.
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #11230 on: January 09, 2016, 02:05:18 am »

I cited sources for pretty much everything I said in my previous posts in the thread, if you'd like to check. The quote from Imam Shahid Mehdi wasn't linked to specifically, but as I provided the quote verbatim it's simple enough to google it. I too would like to see some sources for what SirQuiamus is claiming, though.

Also, I'm sure you didn't intend if that way, but your last paragraph comes across as 'sounds like Europe making a fuss over nothing just because they have a bit more ethnic diversity'. Which is extremely dismissive of the violence suffered by the young women involved. And from the perspective of a European - I'm assuming you're American from the way you phrased that paragraph - no. It's not at all about 'ethnic diversity'. I don't give a flying fig what colour or ethnic makeup somebody is, I care about their behaviour, and, by extension, their culture (as the one is a strong influence on the other).

If a load of purple and yellow polka-dotted people came over here and started drinking tea, eating biscuits and discussing Coronation Street, they'd be welcomed with open arms. If anyone comes and starts spreading values contrary to our own - that (kafir) women are second-class citizens, that killing people over a cartoon is justifiable, or that homosexuality should be punished by death? Then it doesn't matter what ethnicity they have, a lot of people are going to be very troubled by that. And when it goes beyond just saying these things, and into the realm of atrocities such as Rotherham (where over 1400 children were sexually abused by gangs of Pakistani men, and the crimes were covered up and downplayed by the police and government for fear of being seen as racist), or the sexual assaults of Cologne and other cities we've been discussing? Of course that's going to prompt a lot of anger and calls for change.

To reduce these issues to 'having to deal with a bit more ethnic diversity' is ridiculously uninformed at best.

Oh, sorry, no, I meant it in basically the opposite way. Not 'silly Europeans' so much as 'not inoculated against drastically different cultures->smallpox/syphilis'. America's been a melting pot since it's foundation, in one way or another. When you're forced to tolerate all these different cultures until they go too far, eventually only the halfway reasonable ones remain (I'm using a very simplified denotation of 'remain' here). If that's not the case, then when something happens that pushes said cultures together, culture clash happens. Emphasis on the clash. Granted, I didn't go into very much detail, but internally, at least, I was hypothesizing about the root causes of this and why it's not happening in America (other than the whole 'YOU CAN'T MAKE US TAKE REFUGEES GAARRRR' thing). Sorry for that not being clearer (sidenote: I was using ethnic diversity as shorthand to mean cultural/ethnic/socio-economic diversty, my bad)

If I'm being honest, though, I was just trying to make a jibe about how as bad as America is, Europe has it worse at the moment, unfortunately. And how it seems like there's never really a solution to this shit.

I try not to take a side, period. Figure out what's true, figure out from that what's going on that's wrong, fix it in a way that doesn't entail a second wrong. That's difficult, sometimes, strangely enough. >.<

I will point out, Covenant, that Islamic nations and refugees fleeing Islamic nations will not necessarily hold the same values. Strawman or no, motte-and-bailey helps no one. (sidenote I wish I didn't have to make: I don't think you're doing it on purpose and I may be reading too much into things as it's late and I'm tired; people just make arguments like that without realizing it)

Speaking of consistency, what do people think of the idea of this? Focused less on the rationality bits and more on the bits like this article, in which many or most of the terrorists had western college degrees. If Islam and western analytical thought don't click without resulting in violence, maybe that's part of what's driving it? Of course, it might be that the would-be terrorists without college degrees simply don't have the expertise, but I think it's interesting to consider, at least. I dunno. I probably shouldn't try to explain things when I'm tired.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #11231 on: January 09, 2016, 03:04:43 am »

More to the point, that development is scary. It's actually one of those case where surveillance camera might be needed, because I'm not sure how else you could secure convictions. I doubt that a woman being harassed by a dozen guy is composed enough to be able to identify them later on.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11232 on: January 09, 2016, 06:57:58 am »

The Voice of Reason and Citations sounds like a turpentine-drunk Alex Jones these days.

All the sources were in Finnish, so I didn't bother posting them. Google translate hates my glorious mother tongue more than "Radical Islamists" hate sobriety.

Where is my peer-reviewed media outlet for confirming and/or denying any and/or all of these claims free of hype?
Nothing is reliable source – your own arse will never lie to you.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #11233 on: January 09, 2016, 08:20:50 am »

Alas, it is nowhere to be found.

I find myself believing SirQuiamus over martinuzz, at the moment, though.

Honestly I have to wonder if this is basically just Europe having to deal with a bit more ethnic diversity than they have in the past. They still need to get past the 'horrible ethnic tension' phase, and up to the 'ethnic tension' phase, where America's managed to get.
Stop crying source for everything I post. If you couldn't find source for it you just suck at searching, t's mainstream news.
Stop shooting the messenger.
Only thing I do is translate articles from our mainstream (leftist, not rascist) Dutch newspaper.
Why? Because I believe in free flow of information.
Here's the article for those of you that lack the gift of browsing prowess. /rant
http://www.volkskrant.nl/buitenland/ook-aanrandingen-in-finland-zweden-zwitserland-en-oostenrijk~a4220954/
« Last Edit: January 09, 2016, 08:32:00 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11234 on: January 09, 2016, 08:23:14 am »

Pages: 1 ... 747 748 [749] 750 751 ... 759