Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 749 750 [751] 752 753 ... 759

Author Topic: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread  (Read 1221255 times)

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
Re: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread
« Reply #11250 on: January 09, 2016, 10:03:17 am »

Indeed. And if they want to move to France, that's fine. Just respect the values of the place you're going to, or you obviously don't need safety/money/family enough to properly care. In which case you may go somewhere more like minded.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #11251 on: January 09, 2016, 10:06:31 am »

Camera? Better policing during large events? (Mostly, be ready to mass arrest people if needed). Making an exemple of gropers. Enforcement seems to be a much more efficient way to send a message than some vague ranting about "cultures". I mean, how do you intend to change the "culture" of those people?

For starters, by putting the blame where it belongs, on the actual cause of the offense, as well as the underlying structures which support it. You fight crimes which stem from socio-economics by fighting class differences. You fight crimes which stem from cultural values by fighting the culture.
Love, scriver~

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #11252 on: January 09, 2016, 10:36:03 am »

The Cologne police are now using a water cannon to disperse protestors from the anti-islamic Pegida party
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #11253 on: January 09, 2016, 10:43:41 am »

Scriver, could you actually define what exactly you mean by culture and how you'd fight it? I think we might actually agree and just be talking about slightly different things here.

Martinuzz, thanks for the regular update. If there is no law allowing to strip anyone convicted of such offense of their refugee status, I hope Germany get one on the book quickly.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #11254 on: January 09, 2016, 11:08:36 am »

Scriver, could you actually define what exactly you mean by culture and how you'd fight it? I think we might actually agree and just be talking about slightly different things here.

Martinuzz, thanks for the regular update. If there is no law allowing to strip anyone convicted of such offense of their refugee status, I hope Germany get one on the book quickly.

Yesterday, Angela Merkel has said on a congress of her party CDU, that she is in favour of changing the law to make it easier to deport refugees who have comitted crimes.
As it stands now, someone has to be convicted to at least 3 years in prison before it can influence a request for asylum. Merkel said "The question is, when will someone lose it's right to stay in Germany? The question is, shouldn't it be possible to do that sooner? I must say, that as far as I am concerned, it should be sooner".

The public debate in Germany is turning more and towards "Wieso schaffen wir das?" (What do you mean, we can do it?)
The governing parties CDU and SPD are now trying to hush the anti-refugee sentiment by proposing to stop developmental aid to those countries that do not accept deported refugees back into their country (which is a real problem, because in that case, even if you want to deport them, you can't because international law forbids you to make someone state-less)
« Last Edit: January 09, 2016, 11:11:21 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11255 on: January 09, 2016, 11:38:59 am »

The Cologne police are now using a water cannon to disperse protestors from the anti-islamic Pegida party
Watching RT's video, it looks like a few asshats in the crowd started throwing fireworks at the police.
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #11256 on: January 09, 2016, 11:52:24 am »

Honestly I have to wonder if this is basically just Europe having to deal with a bit more ethnic diversity than they have in the past. They still need to get past the 'horrible ethnic tension' phase, and up to the 'ethnic tension' phase, where America's managed to get.
Sounds like victim blaming

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #11257 on: January 09, 2016, 12:06:31 pm »

http://news.yahoo.com/video/same-sex-couple-turned-away-180021490.html

Well.... I suppose there's some grumbling as a response to this. The whole Kim Davis thing didn't seem to show any point or teachable moment that this kinda thing isn't ok or anything. That's just magical....

I dunno. I'm not gonna go all ranty on this. There's just no real point I suppose. Still, that's a sad thing.
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11258 on: January 09, 2016, 12:17:41 pm »

Meh, Supreme Court will take care of it.
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #11259 on: January 09, 2016, 12:24:21 pm »

No one ever suspects the Aeropagus!

Sorry, but that's the second opportunity I've had to say that today. Couldn't resist :P
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11260 on: January 09, 2016, 12:40:45 pm »

While I do agree that blaming things on them dirty foreigners isn't especially helpful, discounting differing values isn't a good thing. There's, without a damn doubt, places in the world where the social norms are absolutely horrifying in their regard for women and children. It's a matter of trying to bend those social norms into something acceptable, at least in our own neighborhoods, and without betraying our own values.
Yes. Americans abroad should be forced to assimilate into civilized societies that don't claim to own the bodies of their women and children. The long and brutal history of their homelives is a terrible thing, and the honor killings they've committed are unacceptable.

See what you can do when you take the worst examples of what happens in a place, and then use that to paint everyone as having those same values?
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Shazbot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11261 on: January 09, 2016, 12:42:25 pm »

Are people seriously defending the worst mass sexual assaults since the Rape of Berlin?

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #11262 on: January 09, 2016, 12:46:13 pm »

Are people seriously defending the worst mass sexual assaults since the Rape of Berlin?

No.

Also, saying that's the worst mass sexual assault since the Rape of Berlin when there was between zero and one actual rape is... hilariously stupid.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11263 on: January 09, 2016, 12:46:49 pm »

Is pointing out that the vast majority of refugees are not rapists called defending the rapes now? I have not seen a single defense of the rapes in this thread, just some calls to not be being a bunch of racist assholes in the wake of it.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11264 on: January 09, 2016, 12:58:25 pm »

Meh, Supreme Court will take care of it.
It did...

What's happening is that Alabama Chief Justice Roy Moore is telling his probate judges to ignore the supreme court ruling, and everything that we learned from Kim Davis.  He claims the judges are bound by "State Law" to disobey the US GOVERNMENT.

I don't blame the judges...  In fact many of them are issuing licenses again, after consulting with their attorneys.  Perfectly reasonable, even laudable.  The problem is this... seditionist!  He should be removed from office immediately, and this time he should be barred from holding it ever again.

This time?  Yeah, this isn't the first time he's plainly defied the government and Constitution he swore to uphold.  Ten years ago he refused to remove a monument to the 10 Commandments of Christianity.  He got ousted for that, thankfully, because it turns out that you can't just promote a theocracy without seceding first.  But he apparently was allowed to return. 

Unbelievable.  Simply unbelievable that this is actually happening.

http://news.yahoo.com/feds-alabama-judges-must-obey-us-supreme-court-163522535.html

No, but they're implying that these areas are progressive about women's rights when they aren't.  That these are a few bad apples, and that we shouldn't complain about multiculturalism. 

Of course the problem isn't multiculturalism, it's cultures which hold women as inferior and facilitate their rape and persecution.

It's not like Westerners have got gender rights right until relatively recently either.  If we got a bunch of time travelling refugees from 50's America, we'd have to watch them for rape and sexual assault too.  Because they wouldn't know it was wrong, they grew up where it was okay!

This is *important* so we can properly address the problem, through caution and education.  Instead of locking up some perpetrators and assuming it's over.

Is pointing out that the vast majority of refugees are not rapists called defending the rapes now? I have not seen a single defense of the rapes in this thread, just some calls to not be being a bunch of racist assholes in the wake of it.
You sure showed that one guy who said that all the refugees are rapists.  Good job, wrong forum though.
And apparently he blamed it on race, too?  Wow, what an asshole he must be.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2016, 01:02:34 pm by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.
Pages: 1 ... 749 750 [751] 752 753 ... 759