Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 753 754 [755] 756 757 ... 759

Author Topic: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread  (Read 1220529 times)

k33n

• Bay Watcher
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
Re: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread
« Reply #11310 on: January 10, 2016, 02:21:08 pm »

Sheb... did not mention religion at all in the post you quoted.

He called an anti-religious group racist because of the religion they protest against. This is in line with the progressive vs liberal thing I was getting at earlier.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2016, 02:23:44 pm by k33n »

Antsan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11311 on: January 10, 2016, 02:24:37 pm »

The term "racist" may technically be about race, but it is used interchangeably with "xenophobia" now. That may not be correct, but acting as if this kind of misuse of the word was indicative of the speakers ideals is questionable at best.
Taste my Paci-Fist

k33n

• Bay Watcher
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11312 on: January 10, 2016, 02:26:45 pm »

The term "racist" may technically be about race, but it is used interchangeably with "xenophobia" now. That may not be correct, but acting as if this kind of misuse of the word was indicative of the speakers ideals is questionable at best.

Yes, and this is exactly in line with Islamist and theocratic theory, thus my question. It is brutally destructive to the left I hold dear to keep doing it so I risk being called far-right all the time by calling it as it is.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11313 on: January 10, 2016, 02:30:00 pm »

That's terrible and should be called out...  It should be safe to call it out.
There's such a massive difference between racism and disapproving of regressive elements in a culture.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #11314 on: January 10, 2016, 02:34:51 pm »

Wait, are you calling xenophobia 'disapproving of regressive elements in a culture'?

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Antsan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11315 on: January 10, 2016, 02:48:42 pm »

Yes, and this is exactly in line with Islamist and theocratic theory, thus my question. It is brutally destructive to the left I hold dear to keep doing it so I risk being called far-right all the time by calling it as it is.
Uhm… What?

Your argument is basically: Sheb used the word "racist" wrong, thus what he said could be interpreted as something an Islamist could say and thus he's an Islamist?
Or what is it? Do you seriously believe that Sheb thinks religion is linked to what people wrongly call "race"? No, you don't. You're just nitpicking, and you're doing it wrong.

I don't know whether you count into this demographic, but my memory of your activity here strongly suggests so: This is exactly the kind of behavior that often is loudly complained about by people who are raving about evil SJWs and feminists who are seeking to dominate all men. Twisting around words only because they're used wrong. It's despicable behavior, no matter who does it.
If this was a simple misunderstanding due to the wrongly used language, fine, but the assumption that Sheb would be Islamist is just ridiculous.

That's terrible and should be called out...  It should be safe to call it out.
There's such a massive difference between racism and disapproving of regressive elements in a culture.
Yeah, misuse of words should be called out, that's right, but that's not what k33n did.
But there's someone else who did:
Wait, are you calling xenophobia 'disapproving of regressive elements in a culture'?
« Last Edit: January 10, 2016, 02:51:17 pm by Antsan »
Taste my Paci-Fist

k33n

• Bay Watcher
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11316 on: January 10, 2016, 02:56:03 pm »

Your argument is basically: Sheb used the word "racist" wrong, thus what he said could be interpreted as something an Islamist could say and thus he's an Islamist?
Or what is it? Do you seriously believe that Sheb thinks religion is linked to what people wrongly call "race"? No, you don't. You're just nitpicking, and you're doing it wrong.

It actually is not nitpicking when it is the heart and soul of his entire argument. Criticism of fascist ideas has become "racist". Racist is an extremely powerful word, very loaded with connotations. I did not call him an Islamist, I asked if he was one, because his language is as such that needs clarification. Because he should realize that viewing religion as a race is an extreme far-right stance and is a critical part of Islamist theory. By do so he is literally playing into the hands of theocracy.

I don't feel particularly obligated to explain this to you, as you have already - as predicted - degenerated into calling me an anti-femenist far-righter.

Have a good day.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #11317 on: January 10, 2016, 03:02:52 pm »

No, I'm a catholic atheist.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

k33n

• Bay Watcher
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11318 on: January 10, 2016, 03:03:42 pm »

Then why do you view anti-religious protests as racist?

Antsan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11319 on: January 10, 2016, 03:05:09 pm »

It actually is not nitpicking when it is the heart and soul of his entire argument. Criticism of fascist ideas has become "racist". Racist is an extremely powerful word, very loaded with connotations. I did not call him an Islamist, I asked if he was one, because his language is as such that needs clarification. Because he should realize that viewing religion as a race is an extreme far-right stance and is a critical part of Islamist theory. By do so he is literally playing into the hands of theocracy.
Where did Sheb call criticism of fascist ideas racist? What the heck?

I don't feel particularly obligated to explain this to you, as you have already - as predicted - degenerated into calling me an anti-femenist far-righter.

Have a good day.
Well, I did so because you obviously seem to have a need to argue that Sheb is somehow Islamist just because… I don't even know. Because he opposes Pegida and calls them racist when they're more accurately generally xenophobic instead? Because he assumed Covenant might belong to the same subculture because he obviously saw him using the exact same arguments as they do to justify their xenophobia?
Seriously, why do you expect anyone not to assume you're far-right?

Dude! The fuck? Are you trolling?
« Last Edit: January 10, 2016, 03:08:52 pm by Antsan »
Taste my Paci-Fist

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #11320 on: January 10, 2016, 03:07:29 pm »

I don't?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

k33n

• Bay Watcher
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11321 on: January 10, 2016, 03:09:19 pm »

When I see a group such as Pegida that only start to give a shit the moment they can blame an Arab for it,

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #11322 on: January 10, 2016, 03:11:28 pm »

He didn't call anti-religious protests racist. He said Pediga only starts to care when there's an Arab behind something. Seems based more on culture/country to me.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #11323 on: January 10, 2016, 03:12:40 pm »

I'mma ask right now that people don't use Islamist.

Adding -ist unnecessarily to things to make them into positions, particularly positions that are implied by that suffix to be evil (AND WHEN THERE'S A PERFECTLY GOOD EXISTING WORD TO USE) is not appropriate debate tactics.

I suppose I should ask this of everyone here; what would you have to see to change your mind? Everyone here, mind you. If the answer is "nothing could possibly do that" or "well I already know the facts so that question's pointless", I recommend you take a second look at your position.

Also, as far as I know, he doesn't view religion as a race, he views it as heavily correlated with race. In this case, that's very true. And thus, anti-Islam protests can easily degenerate into, turn out to be, or be intensified by anti-Middle Easterner sentiment.

Furthermore, beliefs can change, but you typically don't control what you believe. What you profess to believe, how you act, yeah, you choose all those. "Man can indeed do what he wants, but he cannot will what he wants." Religion has to be changed, which usually takes both external and internal influence, from what (little) I know.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

k33n

• Bay Watcher
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11324 on: January 10, 2016, 03:13:28 pm »

He didn't call anti-religious protests racist. He said Pediga only starts to care when there's an Arab behind something. Seems based more on culture/country to me.

If that isn't an accusation of racism towards those reacting against religious violence I do not know what is.
Pages: 1 ... 753 754 [755] 756 757 ... 759