Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 327 328 [329] 330 331 ... 759

Author Topic: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread  (Read 1221249 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread
« Reply #4920 on: March 04, 2013, 09:00:41 am »

Nevermind also that the information collected by these devices is public record, and can be legally viewed by anyone.
Oh... hey. That's. Just great. Guess what I should do is go around town writing down license plate numbers, then keep an eye on those records until the plate shows up in another state. Depending on if it's an automated process or not, might even be able to set up a bot program to do the work for me. Just have 'em track the system for a month or so and then notify me which ones are few hundred miles out of place. Would make casing a joint really easy! Could probably find out where people I want to stalk/steal from/violently-murder-for-no-reason/inundate-with-in-person-advertising/whatever live and work the same way.

Collecting the information like that is bad enough, but making it public record is just massively goddamn stupid. What jack-idiot thought that was a good idea?

E
"Should that potential of misuse therefore eliminate the capacity of law enforcement to collect data which has a legitimate purpose for the safety of our officers or the appropriateness of enforcement actions? I don't think so," he said.
Oh hell, seriously? Are you sure you're a cop, dude? Aren't you aware of the amount of generally-much-worse crime something like this could enable?
« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 09:04:22 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4921 on: March 04, 2013, 11:39:05 am »

ANPR systems? Shit guys, we have had those for ages in the UK and they have only had a positive effect as far as I can tell. Then agian, Our police and legal system are far less of a joke.
This is a blank sig.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4922 on: March 04, 2013, 11:46:41 am »

Doesn't the UK like lead the first world in instances of burglary or something crazy like that? (Could be misremembering, but I know their crime rates are pretty bad)

How would you even tell if this was contributing factor?

That said, I would much prefer something like this be a matter of public record than an additional secret being kept by the police.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4923 on: March 04, 2013, 11:59:52 am »

Doesn't the UK like lead the first world in instances of burglary or something crazy like that? (Could be misremembering, but I know their crime rates are pretty bad)

How would you even tell if this was contributing factor?

That said, I would much prefer something like this be a matter of public record than an additional secret being kept by the police.
I'm pretty sure that isn't the case. After all, consitent with pretty much the entirety of Europe, crime is at it's lowest point in 30 years. They're having some problems with guncrime raising and stuff, but those seem to lessen too.

I'd go for a public record, but not with automated acces. Ie, you have to do some effort to get the information, making datamining impossible.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4924 on: March 04, 2013, 12:00:59 pm »

The use of ANPR in the UK. No mention of any high profile misuse of the system, though this doesnt mean that there have not been any... the section on the impact they have had on crime detection and arrest is interesting - ten times the national average is a big plus.

As for burgulary, nah, we are at about 800 per 100,000 inhabitants, with the US on about 750. Israel, Australia and NZ have staggeringly high rates (data from nationmaster.com). Of course, crime data is hard to compare seeing as nations record and classify things so very differently.
This is a blank sig.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4925 on: March 04, 2013, 12:15:43 pm »

I'm pretty sure that isn't the case. After all, consitent with pretty much the entirety of Europe, crime is at it's lowest point in 30 years. They're having some problems with guncrime raising and stuff, but those seem to lessen too.
Even if it did nothing but terrible stuff, I doubt it would make a dent in THAT trend. It's not a particularly useful metric, comparing it to thirty years ago - too many conflating variables. If its true that other fairly similar countries like NZ have much higher rates, it's certainly pretty interesting though. I didn't realize it was actually bad there.

I'd go for a public record, but not with automated access. Ie, you have to do some effort to get the information, making datamining impossible.
This seems reasonable to me.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4926 on: March 04, 2013, 12:17:12 pm »

Yeah, but the problem is, it costs 3.50 to buy 1000 Captcha solves at current prices. It's usually real people solving them, too.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4927 on: March 04, 2013, 12:25:53 pm »

Yeah, but the problem is, it costs 3.50 to buy 1000 Captcha solves at current prices. It's usually real people solving them, too.
I wasn't talking about Captcha protection. Talking about the good old European way.

Ie, overcomplicated bureaucracy.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4928 on: March 04, 2013, 12:27:39 pm »

Well, that works too. :P
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4929 on: March 04, 2013, 12:33:19 pm »

ANPR systems? Shit guys, we have had those for ages in the UK and they have only had a positive effect as far as I can tell. Then agian, Our police and legal system are far less of a joke.

Of course, "less of a joke" is the key expression there. Our judicial system is a joke.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4930 on: March 04, 2013, 12:37:30 pm »

Of course, "less of a joke" is the key expression there. Our judicial system is a joke.

To be fair, are there any nations with a decently working legal system.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4931 on: March 04, 2013, 12:59:44 pm »

Out of curiosity, did news like this get around in thee pre-2001 internet?
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4932 on: March 04, 2013, 01:20:53 pm »

To be fair, are there any nations with a decently working legal system.

That still doesn't make it any better though.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4933 on: March 04, 2013, 01:21:05 pm »

Out of curiosity, did news like this get around in thee pre-2001 internet?
I suppose yes. Though I can't say for sure, as I wasn't on the internet at that time.

((Also, what makes 2001 the decisive date?))

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4934 on: March 04, 2013, 01:22:26 pm »

We had internet in our family back in 2001 but everything was dial-up. My brother tried to play rogue spear online once and it was a catastrophe.
Pages: 1 ... 327 328 [329] 330 331 ... 759