Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 331 332 [333] 334 335 ... 759

Author Topic: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread  (Read 1218993 times)

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
Re: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread
« Reply #4980 on: March 07, 2013, 02:28:56 pm »

Just this one time, I don't have something bad to say about Texas.

http://motherboard.vice.com/blog/a-texas-cell-phone-bill-would-bar-warrantless-location-data
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #4981 on: March 07, 2013, 08:12:24 pm »

http://www.cnn.com/2013/03/07/justice/new-mexico-inmate-settlement/index.html?hpt=hp_c1
Man in New Mexico jailed for 22 months w/o trial, then put in solitary confinement and basically ignored.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #4982 on: March 07, 2013, 10:25:29 pm »

http://www.cnn.com/2013/03/07/justice/new-mexico-inmate-settlement/index.html?hpt=hp_c1
Man in New Mexico jailed for 22 months w/o trial, then put in solitary confinement and basically ignored.

Saw that story on my feed today.  Haven't actually read it yet.  There's been a significant spike in horrific police stories over the last week or so.  Another one I saw today was a man beaten nearly to death on the side of the road for refusing a warrantless vehicle search by Denver police.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4983 on: March 09, 2013, 06:11:50 am »

School boards to be allowed to let school staff carry guns in schools in South Dakota. WHAT THE FUCK? How will allowing more guns into a school make a school shooting less probable in any way, shape or form? I dispair, I really do.
This is a blank sig.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4984 on: March 09, 2013, 06:48:46 am »

Well, the presumption is that teachers will be able to shoot perps. I think the NRA or whatever talked about the headmistress of that school in Sandy Hook and how she may have been able to stop things if she had been armed.

Plus, I'm sure most teachers won't bring in guns. It'll probably be one or two in the whole school.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 06:52:51 am by Owlbread »

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #4985 on: March 09, 2013, 06:51:07 am »

School boards to be allowed to let school staff carry guns in schools in South Dakota. WHAT THE FUCK? How will allowing more guns into a school make a school shooting less probable in any way, shape or form? I dispair, I really do.
If there is a problem, you need to add more guns until the problem is solved. Obviously.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4987 on: March 10, 2013, 12:03:55 am »

Maybe someone could jog my memory... I think it was in this thread.

There was a popular conservative idiom mentioned that's used quite a bit nowadays, along with the obvious explanation of how it means the exact opposite of what people use it for. But I can't remember anything more than that! Can anyone help?

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4988 on: March 10, 2013, 12:14:59 am »

There are a lot of nonfunctional conservative idioms. Any idea what issue it was related to?
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4989 on: March 10, 2013, 12:19:13 am »

The only one I know of is 'Two Wongs don't make a White'. Although the guy who said it was actually left wing so...
Also it is as racist as it sounds.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4990 on: March 10, 2013, 12:19:39 am »

Something economic, I believe. Ugh, it was like in the last week and a half. It's so frustrating.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4991 on: March 10, 2013, 12:23:25 am »

You Have To Spend Money To Make Money, in regards to why we should cut the budget and lower taxes?
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #4992 on: March 10, 2013, 01:05:14 am »

The rich/businesses as job makers? Dunno if that was this thread or another one but it came up. And yeah, th'concept is so backassward it's almost surprising it gained traction. Consumers (/demand) are what causes an increase in employment, and despite having an overwhelming amount of the resources th'high wealth folks don't increase demand nearly proportionally to what they take in/hoard (surprise surprise, money stagnating in a bank or tied up in land is bad for the economy!). Regarding businesses, they only hire more folks if they've got more business than they can handle, not just 'cause they're making more money.

Was a canceled TED talk that put the concept more elegantly. Though that's definitely not something that came up in the last week and a half. Might be a bit iffy on the exact opposite bit, too.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Boea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4993 on: March 10, 2013, 02:50:03 am »

I'm just going to put out an old idiom.

"A rolling stone doesn't gather moss."
Nowadays, it's attributed to rogues, and mavericks, and rebels, in a sort of exalting way.
Back then, about the time of its creation, it was about how useless, and unsupportive a person is if they don't settle down, and do responsible things.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4994 on: March 10, 2013, 05:09:03 pm »

You Have To Spend Money To Make Money, in regards to why we should cut the budget and lower taxes?

That's Keynesianism, isn't it?
Pages: 1 ... 331 332 [333] 334 335 ... 759