Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 462 463 [464] 465 466 ... 759

Author Topic: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread  (Read 1219802 times)

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
Re: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread
« Reply #6945 on: August 01, 2013, 08:14:21 am »

That isn't to say a robot can not be on bay12, but they would certainly be the minority.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6946 on: August 01, 2013, 08:25:03 am »

But look at it from my perspective - You're organization lies to me, deceives me, takes my money and then uses it to act in ways directly contrary to my best interests, while killing loads of people and leading to the deaths of countrymen and friends.
But look at it from my perspective - You're organization lies to me, deceives me,
You're organization
You're
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH
._.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6947 on: August 01, 2013, 09:13:53 am »

I've been watching a few 90s action movies again because I can't get enough of them (Under Siege, The Siege, Mercury Rising etc) and I've come to the conclusion that the bulk of 90s action movies were about things that are more relevant now than they ever were; crooked/shady activities from the CIA/NSA/FBI, questioning authority/reality of war situations and so forth. Even The Siege was about disproportionate security responses towards Arab-Americans in the event of a very large terrorist attack, resulting in a textbook case of the whole "gaze into the abyss and the abyss will gaze into you" idea. That movie came out 3 years before 9/11. As for Enemy of the State, that was about shady NSA spying activities. Again 1998.

It's interesting when you compare the flavour of those films with the flavour of modern action movies. Nowadays they're pretty rare, but they're mostly just pastiches/parodies of the past.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #6948 on: August 01, 2013, 10:11:26 am »

The stupid ones are the ones who go on 4chan. You can tell because they get defensive about the place.

I'm just going to let that careful mix of circular logic and catch 22 sink in for a second.  :P
Answer my question. How do they not classify as people?
Everyone on 4chan is ginger

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6949 on: August 01, 2013, 10:14:45 am »

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH
Your just jealous.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6950 on: August 01, 2013, 10:39:20 am »

I've been watching a few 90s action movies again because I can't get enough of them (Under Siege, The Siege, Mercury Rising etc) and I've come to the conclusion that the bulk of 90s action movies were about things that are more relevant now than they ever were; crooked/shady activities from the CIA/NSA/FBI, questioning authority/reality of war situations and so forth. Even The Siege was about disproportionate security responses towards Arab-Americans in the event of a very large terrorist attack, resulting in a textbook case of the whole "gaze into the abyss and the abyss will gaze into you" idea. That movie came out 3 years before 9/11. As for Enemy of the State, that was about shady NSA spying activities. Again 1998.

It's interesting when you compare the flavour of those films with the flavour of modern action movies. Nowadays they're pretty rare, but they're mostly just pastiches/parodies of the past.

I know next to nothing about the 90's.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6951 on: August 01, 2013, 10:48:12 am »

They were a time of peace and prosperity and optimism and technological potential for the United States. They were really kind of great.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6952 on: August 01, 2013, 10:50:20 am »

They were a time of peace and prosperity and optimism and technological potential for the United States. They were really kind of great.

But they were also a time of terrible hardship, genocide, mass murder, war, pestilence and death. In that sense they were really kind of shit as well. Like practically every decade.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2013, 10:51:54 am by Owlbread »

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6953 on: August 01, 2013, 10:52:15 am »

Well I did try to specify for the United States.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #6954 on: August 01, 2013, 11:03:10 am »

But they were also a time of terrible hardship, genocide, mass murder, war, pestilence and death. In that sense they were really kind of shit as well. Like practically every decade.

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair, we had everything before us, we had nothing before us, we were all going direct to Heaven, we were all going direct the other way--in short, the period was so far like the present period, that some of its noisiest authorities insisted on its being received, for good or for evil, in the superlative degree of comparison only.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6955 on: August 01, 2013, 11:10:15 am »

Devilry and details, guys!
Reading a thinner book

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6956 on: August 01, 2013, 11:12:07 am »

Novel if you want us to give you a complete detailed history of the 90s there are far better places to look, honestly.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6957 on: August 01, 2013, 11:16:07 am »

Just what it was like on your end, Owlbread. GIVE ME DEVILRY
Reading a thinner book

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #6958 on: August 01, 2013, 11:23:20 am »

In all honesty on my end the 90s were unremarkable for the most part barring isolated events. The 2000's were far more interesting.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6959 on: August 01, 2013, 11:46:42 am »

Speaking as someone who was a teenager and young adult in South Wales during the 90's, they sure felt like a good time, even if the spectacles are now rose tinted. Thatcherism was thankfully on its way out the window and the Blair era held promise of prosperity and social improvement and greater EU integration, which to some extent came true during the middle third of the decade. The bleak attitude people had in the area under the Tory government in the 80's was replaced by optimism that things could get better, and the economy began to recover signifigantly (which is why Labour used the D-Ream song...), and a sense of national pride began to re-emerge after Thatchers attempts to destroy communities and thier liveleyhoods. Under Blair it felt like some of the poorer parts of the nation were benefiting from the economic growth, even if that bubble would burst with the banking crisis in the next decade. The internet, home computers and consoles were new and wonderful to most people. Boom and Bust? You bet! Of course, by the end of the 90's and into the 2000's this optimism in "better" seemed misplaced. The first Gulf War felt like a force for good, an almost justifiable application of force to liberate an opressed nation, unlike its subsequent offspring. The IRA were disarming, and devolution was a reality. Eastern Europe was opening up, and the USA had Clinton, who seemed more human than both Reagan and Bush. Japan was seen as the next big thing, even if Africa and China both had thier fair share of problems. The middle east was a shitstorm, but thats not unusual for any time.

That enough of a snapshot?
« Last Edit: August 01, 2013, 11:48:25 am by MonkeyHead »
This is a blank sig.
Pages: 1 ... 462 463 [464] 465 466 ... 759