Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 553 554 [555] 556 557 ... 759

Author Topic: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread  (Read 1245802 times)

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
Re: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread
« Reply #8310 on: August 01, 2014, 09:36:02 am »

Hell, I get that with voicces sometimes. Loose disconnected sentence fragments mostly, but still.
It's the difference between 'saying it in thoughts' and 'hearing it', isn't it?
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #8311 on: August 01, 2014, 10:48:53 am »

Unhealthy habits are unhealthy. Playing games consequently for long amounts of time is bad for us, both physically and mentally. This isn't something we can deny just because a bunch of overly excited censorship advocates are out there screaming "GAMES MAKE YOU CRAZY".
Can deny it's a necessary consequence of such practices, though.* Least I would, having been there, done that (more than once in the case of the two-days-straight and several dozen times in the case of playing through the night), and experienced no hallucinations (of the nature described, anyway**). So it's not so much "unhealthy habits are unhealthy" as "certain portions of the population have particular reactions to specific habits", evidentially unhealthy or not (since there were apparently those that experienced the phenomena with considerably less contributing factors than overnight or 48 hour gaming binges).

I've played through the night several times myself with no ill consequences (as far as I could tell) beyond being really weary. However, I think you glanced over the word "habit" in my post above. Doing something a few times is quite different from forming a habit of it. Now, granted, it doesn't say in the article that was how it was, but knowing gamers, it's not a too far fetched conclusion to jump to.

I do have to say, though, I'd love to see the study expanded if similar ones haven't already been done. Seems obvious to me you should see similar reactions from reading, watching TV, and music (the catchy tune phenomena is an obvious parallel) at the very least -- I'd guess other stuff as well, such as writing, working, and so on. Anything a person might do for an extended period.

I'm pretty certain watching tv for several days in a row should be considered unhealthy as well. Working for 48 hours straight sure as hell would be.
Love, scriver~

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #8312 on: August 01, 2014, 10:56:27 am »

Yeah, I wasn't making (or intending to make, anyway) a statement on whether it was unhealthy or not -- just that it's not something that's necessarily going to cause hallucinations, which is what the article was about :P

Though yeah, I've had summers in the past whether I probably spent more days playing through the night than not -- definitely would call it a habit at that point, and still no hearing/seeing things beyond the usual. And so far as I'm aware, people indulge in notably unhealthy periods of varying activities (TV is perhaps the most regular one, with work either before or after that in terms of likelihood) quite often without most of them, y'know, beginning to hallucinate. S'like the article seemed to actually be saying -- the phenomena in question is something that only happens to a portion of the population, not everyone.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 11:00:00 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8313 on: August 01, 2014, 01:38:37 pm »

I have experienced the phenomena myself, but this is pretty obviously a "we're not saying but we're just saying" that video games are a mentally scaring evil that makes people violent.
For me I've got this thing where there is a stock horse winnying sound effect used in basically every film, game and show in existence for some reason for anything the horse does; whether it be dying, running or leaping. Occasionally I hear something that I hear instead as that horse noise.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #8314 on: August 01, 2014, 02:03:01 pm »

That would make a really good SCP.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8315 on: August 01, 2014, 02:11:33 pm »

Stock sounds are the worst, it kills immersion.  Also that godawful "schwoOOOoop! psssh" sound that they use for every single space door opening or closing ever.  And the monster scream clip that I think they have on firebats in starcfraft but also every far off-screen generic wild threat in bad movies ever.
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8316 on: August 01, 2014, 02:20:12 pm »

The worst stock sound bar none is the "waaagghhhh" scream often used with explosions/falling people. It is literally all over the place and so obvious.
This is a blank sig.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8317 on: August 01, 2014, 02:27:00 pm »

Yes that is precisely the one I mean. I may be wrong about it being on firebats, but whatever, that's it.

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #8318 on: August 01, 2014, 02:35:18 pm »

As long as you don't have any problems with the Wilhelm Scream, which is a national treasure.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8319 on: August 01, 2014, 02:49:22 pm »

Apparently the one I was thinking of is called "the howie scream"

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8320 on: August 01, 2014, 05:19:03 pm »

That would make a really good SCP.
Horse whinnying replacing everyday noises? I guess it would. It's both hilarious, AND unnerving.

Stock sounds are the worst, it kills immersion.  Also that godawful "schwoOOOoop! psssh" sound that they use for every single space door opening or closing ever.  And the monster scream clip that I think they have on firebats in starcfraft but also every far off-screen generic wild threat in bad movies ever.
Opening/closing rusty gate noise is a close second.

*EDIT
Before we go too off topic; immigration! Is it good, bad, depends or non-applicable?

I bring this up because the KKK are setting up their own border controls to stop illegal immigration in America with lethal force.
Also an interesting idea, the klan man in the interview seemed pretty happy about getting TV interviews, so is media coverage of them helping their recruitment in some way?
« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 05:44:47 pm by Loud Whispers »

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8321 on: August 01, 2014, 06:07:16 pm »

My plan for immigration:

1) Open all the borders, don't bother policing them (in terms of immigration law, that is. Physical or contraband security and policing may still be an issue). The following plan allows for such simple legal pathways that few if any people should have a motivation in the first place to do any sneaking or lying.
2) DO however, require strict documentation for driver's licenses (and by proxy essentially road usage), school enrollment, etc. where most of our tax dollars are spent.
3) Anybody who has immigrated more recently than the most recent April 15th is allowed to stay until next tax season. You do have to register yourself though upon arrival. They do not get road/school/etc. privileges yet, though. They ARE allowed to work, but their employers are required to withhold their income taxes directly from paychecks (must assume highest tax bracket, then they get a reimbursement for the difference of actual bracket later if the employee does file).
4) Anybody who files their income taxes who moved here less than a year ago is also allowed to stay for at least one more full year. They still do not get any major privileges, although the requirement of withholding income tax can be waived due to their demonstration of good faith in filing this year.
5) Anybody who files their income taxes who HAS lived here continuously since the last tax year becomes a conditional citizen. They can now get licenses, send their (tax-dependent-only) children to school, vote, and everything else, for the next full year.
6) If at any point you fail to file income taxes, you are contacted swiftly at any known address(es) and offered the option to pay up along with a punitive fine. If you do so (or get on an approved payment plan and make your payments if you are too poor), then okay, forgiven. If you refuse or don't respond at known contacts, then you lose any privileges you might have  had previously
7) Whenever a person is located anywhere that involves an identity check (traffic stops, attempting to apply for school enrollments or credit cards or whatever, OR authorized police visits for this purpose to known locations of people who used to pay taxes but stopped), you stand to be potentially deported or jailed for tax evasion depending on circumstances and intent if you are not registered under #3 and have not paid taxes either. You may also possibly may be banned (liable to criminal charges if you come back again) depending on intent and circumstances.
8] Native born people ALSO lose their privileges and face other possible penalties temporarily if they fail to file taxes, although minus the deportation option.

This should pretty much solve all the major problems with immigration, while also encouraging a stronger economy and attracting experience and knowledge to the country (reverse brain drain - which may already be true here, but accelerating it). Immigrants would be stupid not to pay taxes when something so simple can give you legit citizenship -- it just becomes massively not worth it to avoid this. SO they pretty much all would. And as long as they do, we should be happy, because they are paying their share for services and opportunities.

The issues with abandoned minors and crap should stop as well, because you'd have no reason to send unaccompanied minors in desperation if you could just legally move your whole family instead and become law abiding, recognized (conditional on continued tax-paying) citizens.

Undocumented workers should be minimized as well, because by offering an easy and immediate legal path to getting a job (the employee withheld income tax thing), it is much less risky for workers to just follow the law than to continue trying to work under the table. Unlike now, they wouldn't be forced into a choice of "starve or work illegally" but rather "save a couple measly bucks and risk being exiled or work legally" which is a much easier choice.

It's also more logical and merit-based. Being pushed out of a vagina in US territory is not a good indication that you will be a benefit to our society. Whereas paying your taxes is an action that proves responsibility and directly earns the privileges of living here. So switching everybody to that standard makes more sense and rewards productive, good people rather than coincidentally-born-here people.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 06:27:55 pm by GavJ »

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8322 on: August 01, 2014, 07:16:17 pm »

I sometimes erroneously hear things which I'm really heavily tuned to respond to.  So in other words
- The sound of a knock at the door (from things being bashed)
- The sound of the phone (from certain musical tracks that feature ringing)
- The sound of my own name (from half-heard voices and occasionally door creaks, for some reason)

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #8323 on: August 01, 2014, 07:16:37 pm »

I'd lean toward the first year being a grace period in which social services and suchlike are allowed, since otherwise you wind up putting a huge burden on them that encourages them to find extralegal sources of employment that don't involve being taxed - finding ways to circumvent the need for all those services is going to cost money, and they're already getting hit hard by the withholding strategy. That's just my first thought on that, haven't really run through all the ramifications (and don't think I'm qualified to, anyway).
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8324 on: August 01, 2014, 07:46:42 pm »

- The sound of my own name (from half-heard voices and occasionally door creaks, for some reason)
Oh yeah, that's a good one for proving this isn't just a vidya-specific thing.
Pages: 1 ... 553 554 [555] 556 557 ... 759