Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 554 555 [556] 557 558 ... 759

Author Topic: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread  (Read 1221047 times)

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread
« Reply #8325 on: August 01, 2014, 07:58:02 pm »

I'd lean toward the first year being a grace period in which social services and suchlike are allowed, since otherwise you wind up putting a huge burden on them that encourages them to find extralegal sources of employment that don't involve being taxed - finding ways to circumvent the need for all those services is going to cost money, and they're already getting hit hard by the withholding strategy. That's just my first thought on that, haven't really run through all the ramifications (and don't think I'm qualified to, anyway).
Yeah something like that sounds reasonable. I guess the risk is only really in somebody constantly leaving and coming back, or some such shenanigans. But it would probably be much easier to catch that (because it would have a paper trail in taxes, etc.) than to try and do it the way I said.

Do note that this is something I came up with in like an hour. Not some cherished, finely polished actual plan.
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8326 on: August 01, 2014, 09:00:06 pm »

I want to see step three just because it seems like it would be hilarious to see the ultra rich suddenly start advocating for immigrants and trying to lower their taxes if they share the same bracket.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8327 on: August 02, 2014, 03:34:43 am »

This is world-class Godwin'ing

Nugent wrote that those who lodged complaints against his scheduled performances were part of the "Josef Goebbels gang." He also wrote, "Josef Goebbels and Saul Alinsky would be very proud of them and very angry at me. Cool."

If you don't like Ted Nugent, you're Joseph Goebbel's best mate.

Nugent's Nazi comparison comes as the NRA is already under fire from a Jewish group after one of its lobbyists compared a proposal to expand background checks on gun sales in Washington state to the policies of Adolf Hilter, and mocked Jewish individuals who support gun safety.

NRA lobbyist Brian Judy is heard telling opponents of the background check proposal that one of the proposal's primary backers, who is Jewish, is "stupid" because "he's put half-a-million dollars toward this policy, the same policy that led to his family getting run out of Germany by the Nazis." Judy also said, "any Jewish people I meet who are anti-gun, I think: Are you serious? Do you not remember what happened?

Nugent routinely traffics in Nazi comparisons to attack his opponents. This year he has used the Goebbels comparison to criticize film executive Harvey Weinstein and outgoing congressman Eric Cantor (R-VA), who are both Jewish. Following controversy over his characterization of Obama as a "subhuman mongrel," Nugent claimed that the United States was becoming like Nazi Germany and warned of a forthcoming "power struggle between the different races." He has also compared Obama to "a German in 1938 pretending to respect the Jews and then going home and putting on his brown shirt and forcing his neighbors onto a train to be burned to death" and said we need to take back America from "the jack boot Nazi motherfuckers in the Department of Justice."

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8328 on: August 02, 2014, 05:45:04 am »

Heh, the Nazis actually made access to weapons easier for the general populace.

Not for the Jews, though. But background checks just for Jews aren't exactly what was proposed, anyway.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #8329 on: August 03, 2014, 06:22:15 pm »

This is what happens to gay people in Russia. Warning: graphical video.
source: Human Rights Watch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=zMTbFSJ_Tr4
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

SomeStupidGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • Just strummin' right along...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8330 on: August 03, 2014, 08:54:35 pm »

I hope for my faith in humanity's sake that you don't get too much flame-age. :P
Your favorite pinko progressive nerd-gal. Probably.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8331 on: August 03, 2014, 09:38:30 pm »

brb flaming GO
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8332 on: August 04, 2014, 09:25:44 pm »

I hope for my faith in humanity's sake that you don't get too much flame-age. :P
Surprisingly, I have had...

Zero replies. None at all. None from that video.
Uh, maybe because you didn't post a video? All I see is a quote of the video that martinuzz posted, which is despicable, but that's not any of our faults, it's just informative to post it.

Unless you've edited since or something. Not sure what you're talking about.

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8333 on: August 04, 2014, 09:43:16 pm »

He left a comment on a youtube video, expecting flame-wars on that video in reply to his comment.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8334 on: August 04, 2014, 11:41:04 pm »

Ahhh. Not gonna post what it is though?

SomeStupidGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • Just strummin' right along...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8335 on: August 05, 2014, 03:17:25 am »

Surprisingly, I have had...

Zero replies. None at all. None from that video.
Hurrah.
* SomeStupidGuy gains 3.5 humanity faith points.
Tch. Looks like it'll be awhile yet 'for I make it out of the negatives...
Your favorite pinko progressive nerd-gal. Probably.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8336 on: August 05, 2014, 11:48:54 pm »

Ahhh. Not gonna post what it is though?

If you read up the thread, it's explained. The video shows russian neo-nazi types attacking gay people and filming it. a bunch of commenters were like "yay russia" over this and quoting bible verses from leviticus and the like.

Greatorder left a comment criticizing the general level of comments, but the discussion in the video is pretty dead now, so no-one responded.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #8337 on: August 06, 2014, 07:30:12 am »

Totally on this topic:
Our Secretary General of Justice altered a law today, which makes it easier for Russian LGBT to seek asylum in the Netherlands.

Before, they had to be able to show proof of the Russian police / authorities denying them assistance. In other words, they needed to go to the police in Russia first, and be denied help (or worse) there, before they could apply for asylum here.

That part of the law was scrapped today, as our minister acknowledges the unwillingness of Russian authorities to provide police assistance, and/or legal aid.

LGBT seeking asylum in the Netherlands still do need to make a reasonable, and believable case, that their sexual preference will actually lead to persecution or imminent danger.

Still, a clear sign of concern of our government, on the LGBT rights in Russia.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8338 on: August 06, 2014, 03:05:20 pm »

Shots fired! I replied with logic. I'm not leaving their name because I suspect some people (not all, probably a minority of a minority) would go all gung-ho on this.
That's rather tame by internet standards.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #8339 on: August 06, 2014, 03:20:01 pm »

How does that guy know you're from bay12? I bet he's from here too, and he's just messing with you.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler
Pages: 1 ... 554 555 [556] 557 558 ... 759