Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 558 559 [560] 561 562 ... 759

Author Topic: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread  (Read 1221230 times)

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
Re: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread
« Reply #8385 on: August 25, 2014, 06:46:15 pm »

He did get remove his avatar, signature and personal text from his account though. After saying that he should have left a long time ago. Those two events do feel kinda interrelated, don't you think?

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #8386 on: August 25, 2014, 07:00:05 pm »

Phmcw: No offense, but are you a troll? Cause  remember arguing with you about sexism, and the argument you put forth was people were subject t racism, therefore sexism wasn't an issue. now you seem to be arguing that people are subject to classism, therefore racism isn't an issue. You also gave up arguing with me when it became evident I wouldn't get angry with you, while you seem much more invested here- perhaps because GlyphGryph is giving you what you want? Just a hypothesis.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 07:04:29 pm by Angle »

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8387 on: August 25, 2014, 07:04:59 pm »

Phmcw: No offense, but are you a troll? Cause  remember arguing with you about sexism, and the argument you put forth was people were subject t racism, therefore sexism wasn't an issue. now you seem to be arguing that people are subject to classism, therefore racism isn't an issue.
Eh, I don't know if I agree with Phmcw on everything he says, but he's got a point in that the American point of view on race issues is quite different in some regards to the European one, so I'd say certainly no trolling there.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #8388 on: August 25, 2014, 07:06:45 pm »

The point is that when arguing with me, he thought that racism WAS a issue. Now he doesn't? Seems suspicious. Yes, he could have just changed his views, but with the other evidence presented, I find it questionable.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8389 on: August 25, 2014, 07:16:53 pm »

Seems more like a contrarian thing than trolling to me, but then I have not followed the discussion that closely.

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #8390 on: August 25, 2014, 07:28:18 pm »

The point is that when arguing with me, he thought that racism WAS a issue. Now he doesn't? Seems suspicious. Yes, he could have just changed his views, but with the other evidence presented, I find it questionable.

I said this :

Well even that is demonstrably false : power and right were and stlll are divided by birthrights, race, wealth, gender... depending on the place, and there is no way in hell to argue that a black slave man in the south has more right than a white woman. And wether or not he was privilieged compeared to a black woman is debatable, but that debate would be mostly pointless. The peoples arguing about those things seems unaware that they are part of the intelligencia of the most powerfull nation on earth.

I'm pretty sure I never said that racism has never been a problem in the history of US. Actually I said two times that racism seems to be a problem in the US.

I'm just skeptical that "direct racism" (as pure hate of black peoples) is as huge a problem as some make it out to be, because I cannot see how it can be possible given the current state of americain society and the fact that in Europe it is often overblown. I may be wrong of course but  it just doesn't compute.
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #8391 on: August 25, 2014, 07:43:58 pm »

It doesn't take the form of "I hate black people so I'll arrest/fire/etc this one." It takes the form of "This guy's black so he's likelier to be a criminal/lazy/etc, so I'd better check to be sure." It doesn't sound as nefarious on the surface (after all, you're still checking, right?), which is why it can happen, but the increased scrutiny is a problem when nobody's perfect and so you can often find evidence for whatever stereotype you're expecting, and this reinforces the stereotype. Not to mention the degree to which having this as a cultural trend creates objectively verifiable differences, so you wind up with situations where black people really are likelier to be criminals, but it's because they're likelier to have fewer alternatives - and people somehow conclude that the stereotype is therefore "justified". The accuracy of statistical correlations has never been the key flaw in racism, but it sure sounds good when racists need a cover.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8392 on: August 25, 2014, 07:47:54 pm »

Well, yes. Old-school, direct and claimant racism is well and truly out of vogue. Unfortunately, this only means that we are left with the secondary, racism masquerading as rationality and logic. It is better in that it rears its head less powerfully, but it is more insidious because it mimics the form of something desirable.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8393 on: August 25, 2014, 08:10:08 pm »

And I think it's been said that "direct racism" isn't, hasn't, and will not be the main, systemic problem. Not to say that I don't think there aren't actually-white-supremacist-style racists in the judiciary or the police force, but they're not what we're saying is the issue.

What is the issue is things like... In American society, black people, black men, come across as threatening. So in a situation where they have a gun, or there's a domestic dispute, or they're on trial, where looks and perspectives are everything or near everything, a police officer will feel more threatened by a black man, or a jury will not cut them as much a slack as they would a white man.

For example, a black man coming in to a store or restaurant with a open-carry license and a long rifle slung across his back will almost certainly have the cops called on him. A white man coming  in to the same store with a rifle and an open carry license, will be viewed as a nuisance or a gun-nut, but unless he threatens people, the cops won't be called.

Edit: The others said as much, and better, than this.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #8394 on: August 25, 2014, 09:21:30 pm »

I will also point out, on the occasions when direct racism rears it's head, the more insidious kind will help protect it-such as on the occasions when a police officer kills a young black man in cold blood for no reason.

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #8395 on: September 15, 2014, 06:51:00 pm »

Oi, anyone know of a big net neutrality effort or anything? I am not enamored by fast-lane bullshit.
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8396 on: September 15, 2014, 07:16:48 pm »

Oi, anyone know of a big net neutrality effort or anything? I am not enamored by fast-lane bullshit.
IIRC the deadline for FCC comments is, like, tonight, at midnight in some timezone in the US or other? Double check, but if you haven't already, please write out a personalized argument to them about why you are not enamored.
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8397 on: September 15, 2014, 07:23:58 pm »

I will also point out, on the occasions when direct racism rears it's head, the more insidious kind will help protect it-such as on the occasions when a police officer kills a young black man in cold blood for no reason.
Oh boy, here we go.
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #8398 on: September 15, 2014, 07:24:45 pm »

Oh boy, here we go.

Speak of the devil.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #8399 on: September 15, 2014, 08:05:16 pm »

IIRC the deadline for FCC comments is, like, tonight, at midnight in some timezone in the US or other? Double check, but if you haven't already, please write out a personalized argument to them about why you are not enamored.

Ah, I think I already submitted one. I see it's up to ~500k signatures, so that's cool.

But was kinda hoping there were more, as they don't seem phased by that one in particular.
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)
Pages: 1 ... 558 559 [560] 561 562 ... 759