Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 568 569 [570] 571 572 ... 759

Author Topic: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread  (Read 1217996 times)

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
Re: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread
« Reply #8535 on: November 10, 2014, 01:54:42 pm »

You cannot force a medical operation, but you can sentence a crime. Drinking heavily while pregnant should be an offence, for instance. And I do think that refusing treatement could be one too, in some cases, as long as the prescribed treatement wouldn't have treathened the mother's life or physical integrity.
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8536 on: November 10, 2014, 02:38:38 pm »

a woman's bodily autonomy trumps
Why is bodily autonomy such a big deal? Getting rid of it as an absolute would have many beneficial side-effects - for example, it would allow us to introduce mandatory blood 'donations' or mandatory testing (not the actual procedure!) to become a bone marrow donor.
Why is the body fundamentally different from the rest of the stuff we have power over? Why shouldn't bodily autonomy be like privacy - there''s a right to it, but in certain circumstances the right can be overruled?
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8537 on: November 10, 2014, 02:43:29 pm »

As ones own body could be the only thing one could be said to truly own. As such, why should someone be expected to compromise this?
This is a blank sig.

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #8538 on: November 10, 2014, 03:09:28 pm »

Well, how far does the mother's bodily autonomy extend? Does the fetus have no bodily rights until it is born & the umbilical cord severed?
Without bodily rights, does that mean a mother can terminate the child at any time, up to and after birth but before the umbilical is cut/the after-birth is expelled?

When does the child gain personhood/bodily rights, and on what is this based?
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8539 on: November 10, 2014, 03:34:01 pm »

Personally, I view the mother as more important because she's a fully developed person while the baby can't really do anything or take care of itself for at least 5-7 years.

That is, between the two of them, the baby is dependent on the mother but the mother is not dependent on the baby.

Not entirely sure what that means in terms of abortion, I don't think killing a born kid because the mum doesn't want it any more is good, and I think that extends backwards to viable fetuses, at that point adoption to a known loving home is preferable (this is where gay adoption comes in especially), but if it's a choice between the mums life and the fetus/baby/child, I'm likeliest to choose the mum in almost all circumstances. And I don't agree with the idea of arresting the mum or of forcing her into medical procedures (especially ones that can kill her) to get the child out.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8540 on: November 10, 2014, 03:37:38 pm »

Helgo, I'm kinda confused, why would you force a person to have testing for bone marrow but NOT force them to have the surgery? Seems rather unnecessary, doesn't it? If you're not gonna donate, just testing it's gonna wast everyone's time.
It forces people past their lazyness. I never got tested for bone marrow donation, and neither have millions of people - and it's just a simple swab test. Lots of these would do the actual transplant if they were told they were needed.
But sure, why not mandate the transplantation operation itself. It's quite a bit more invasive, but the basic principle still holds.

Descan, don't you get into all kinds of trouble applying the same reasoning to old and disabled people?
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Redzephyr01

• Bay Watcher
  • Ferrum Cor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8541 on: November 10, 2014, 03:44:37 pm »

People have the right to make choices about their own bodies.

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #8542 on: November 10, 2014, 03:45:30 pm »

Helgo, well, old & disabled don't share their body with their care-provider.
What's trickier is how to handle handicapped people if personhood is based on functional brain activity.

Descan, but do the mother's bodily rights trump her infant's life?
If the mother is repeatedly throwing herself down stairs at 40 weeks preggers, should she be arrested?
If she's taken an extreme dose of drugs or alcohol, should she be charged with attempted/actual murder? Should they perform a medical intervention to save the baby's life (if it has one) against her will? Or let the drugs run their course, let the baby be killed, and arrest/charge her afterward?
« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 03:47:02 pm by GrizzlyAdamz »
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8543 on: November 10, 2014, 04:00:52 pm »

People have the right to make choices about their own bodies.
But where should that right stop? That's the core of the question I'm asking.
The Bay12 postcard club

lorb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8544 on: November 10, 2014, 05:15:16 pm »

If a fetus is a (legal) person than the mother (arguably) has a "Duty to rescue". Note that in most modern jurisdiction rescuers need not endanger themselves to protect others, even if they have a duty to rescue otherwise.
Please be gracious in judging my english. (I am not a native speaker/writer.)
"This tile is supported by that wall."

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8545 on: November 10, 2014, 05:25:02 pm »

Yeah, as I said, it's a complicated issue, even more so when you get into the gritty detail of individual cases.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #8546 on: November 10, 2014, 05:59:42 pm »

Badges of honor

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8547 on: November 10, 2014, 06:27:07 pm »

Do you guys think the FCC will follow his advice?
No.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #8548 on: November 10, 2014, 06:41:30 pm »

No, I don't think that the Internet will be regulated as a utility. Sadly.

Our arguments about abortion more closely reflect real-world possibilities than that :P
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #8549 on: November 10, 2014, 09:04:02 pm »

I don't think it's really fair to blame our politicians. I'd blame the people who use their economic power to debase our government, or the general populace, who refuse to give a fuck.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler
Pages: 1 ... 568 569 [570] 571 572 ... 759