Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 622 623 [624] 625 626 ... 759

Author Topic: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread  (Read 1219230 times)

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread
« Reply #9345 on: February 07, 2015, 09:56:16 pm »

I feel that transphobes have the responsibility to come out to any prospective partner before anything gets serious. I mean, it's something that's potentially very important to the relationship, ya know?
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #9346 on: February 07, 2015, 10:39:23 pm »

I feel that transphobes have the responsibility to come out to any prospective partner before anything gets serious. I mean, it's something that's potentially very important to the relationship, ya know?

I feel like hardcore feminists should come out before anything gets serious. Potentially very important, right?
Muslims, too.
Atheists.
Democrats.
Republicans.
Hippies.
Pro-marijuana.
Buddhists.
etc.

The list (almost) goes on forever, that kind of argument can be made for almost anything. If you think it's important to tell your partner, then tell your partner. Personally, if I found out I'd been dating someone trans for a long while I'd go into massive shock, but I also (at least like to think) I'd get over it and be accepting after a small amount of time. That's me personally, however, different people react in different ways.
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.

Moghjubar

• Bay Watcher
  • Science gets you to space.
    • View Profile
    • Demon Legend
« Reply #9347 on: February 08, 2015, 02:05:49 am »

I feel like hardcore feminists should come out before anything gets serious. Potentially very important, right?
Muslims, too.
Atheists.
Democrats.
Republicans.
Hippies.
Pro-marijuana.
Buddhists.
etc.

The list (almost) goes on forever, that kind of argument can be made for almost anything. If you think it's important to tell your partner, then tell your partner. Personally, if I found out I'd been dating someone trans for a long while I'd go into massive shock, but I also (at least like to think) I'd get over it and be accepting after a small amount of time. That's me personally, however, different people react in different ways.

Just thought I'd let Bay12 know I'm a hardcore nose picker before we get into a too serious relationship.  I hope you are all as picky as I am.
Steam ID
Making things in Unity
Current Project: Demon Legend
Also working on THIS! Farworld Pioneers
Mastodon

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9348 on: February 08, 2015, 02:21:16 am »

Just thought I'd let Bay12 know I'm a hardcore nose picker before we get into a too serious relationship.  I hope you are all as picky as I am.
Where does the hardcore part come in?
Hm, have you considered murder?  It's either that or letting it go.
SigText
I logged back on ;_;

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #9349 on: February 08, 2015, 02:23:01 am »

but think of the other person's heterosexuality D:

(i never really got this whole aversion to accidentally dating a transperson, are you afraid of catching the gay-virus or something?)

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9350 on: February 08, 2015, 02:31:08 am »

So, basically what we are saying is that in general, when dating, you should tell the other person the significant/important things about you and let them decide how they feel about you based on that?

Nice groundbreaking conclusion there guys and gals.
This is a blank sig.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9351 on: February 08, 2015, 02:36:25 am »

Personally I'm more concerned about how things are currently situated than how they used to be situated. Not that I'm terribly interested either way.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9352 on: February 08, 2015, 02:44:38 am »

(i never really got this whole aversion to accidentally dating a transperson, are you afraid of catching the gay-virus or something?)
There was a pretty big stigma to being gay in the media when I was growing up. It gets associated with 'bad'/'weird'/'unaccepted' young and then you learn that there are some women who are what you would consider a man that can be indistinguishable from what you would consider a woman.

Transitively if you date them you are 'gay'. gay=date*man, transwoman=man, date*transwoman=gay

The fear is even worse if you already doubt your masculinity or your 'straightness'. And if you recognize that as they can be indistinguishable from what you would consider a woman. You could be dating one and enjoying yourself without even knowing it. "You could be gay, doing gay things, and not even know it!"

That at least accounts for my problem with trans-blah when I was homophobic.
For non homophobes it is probably either beliefs/religion or feeling someone is invading your social group because they want to be a part of it and you/the group is defined by their absence.
Hm, have you considered murder?  It's either that or letting it go.
SigText
I logged back on ;_;

aenri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9353 on: February 08, 2015, 06:12:11 am »

(removed)
« Last Edit: February 08, 2015, 08:36:45 pm by Toady One »

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #9354 on: February 08, 2015, 07:44:39 am »

« Last Edit: October 24, 2015, 12:24:39 am by penguinofhonor »

wobbly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9355 on: February 08, 2015, 08:00:13 am »

Honestly penguinofhonor that's pretty debatable & you'll find a fair few people who disagree with you on that.

Edit: Besides a relationship involves 2 people & there are plenty of people who feel the same way as aenri. Saying he's wrong to think that way wont change the fact that a person who feels that way & a trans person is never going to work out well in a relationship.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2015, 08:06:03 am by wobbly »

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #9356 on: February 08, 2015, 08:18:42 am »

« Last Edit: October 24, 2015, 12:24:33 am by penguinofhonor »

wobbly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9357 on: February 08, 2015, 08:19:56 am »

The thing is they don't repulse me. I'm more taking issue with the fact your saying your opinion is right & his opinion is wrong.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #9358 on: February 08, 2015, 08:25:41 am »

« Last Edit: October 24, 2015, 12:24:28 am by penguinofhonor »

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9359 on: February 08, 2015, 08:29:59 am »

But Penguin, you're also breaking the rules made by this this threads OP (even if that person is you), rule five specifically. That seems a bit hypocritical.
Pages: 1 ... 622 623 [624] 625 626 ... 759