Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 759

Author Topic: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread  (Read 1247546 times)

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: PoH's Calm and Cool Progressive Expression Thread
« Reply #210 on: March 06, 2012, 12:14:39 am »

I dunno, ~10 in 54,000 seems basically in line with 'real world' statistics.
We do not have 54,000 active members, most of those people have not even posted a single post, and are probably spambots. The pool of people I'm talking about is maybe about 200 people.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: March 06, 2012, 12:22:03 am »

I dunno, ~10 in 54,000 seems basically in line with 'real world' statistics.
We do not have 54,000 active members, most of those people have not even posted a single post, and are probably spambots. The pool of people I'm talking about is maybe about 200 people.

O I maintain the instance of transgendered individuals is vastly under reported, due in large part to the social stigma of it. I went to a group therapy setting for trans individuals once. I was amazed by not just the number of people there (upwards of 100 in a GLBT center) but also that many people there, including myself, were presenting as their birth sex rather than targeted. In English, I showed up dressed as a male, as did dozens of others. There's a real, tangible, justifiable fear.

The first rule of the place was that nothing that happened there could ever be spoken of outside, because it would ruin the people attending if it got out that they were trans....

How common is it? No idea. You learn to keep your head down real quick in our situation.

As for why we come here, I've only been harassed a couple times for being GLBT here. It's a lot nicer than most of the internet.
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: March 06, 2012, 12:52:40 am »

I'm aware this is the understatement of the year but, people are jerks.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: March 06, 2012, 01:02:17 am »

Gotta say, I wonder if the White House will eventually comment on that story.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: March 06, 2012, 01:16:33 am »

Truean's been harassed!?

Who is it, lemme at 'em! No one messes with my favourite Lawyer Woman! D: (Can outrun speeding legalese bullshit! Able to leap insane clients in a single bound! Strength of Dike and Fortitude of Justitia, and defender of all Ohioans everywhere!)
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: March 06, 2012, 02:10:28 am »

Alright you guys, I think we might have to start worrying about Wyoming.....

They established this   task force to look into things in case the Federal US government failed. I shit you not, they are looking into buying an aircraft carrier....

Let's be perfectly clear here, this is Wyoming:

Not exactly a whole lot of water. They're landlocked really.... The largest lake appears to be Yellowstone Lake....

This thing is the brainchild of this dude: http://legisweb.state.wy.us/LegislatorSummary/LegDetail.aspx?LegID=882
He has voted the bill forward.

I dunno if Wyoming is going to succeed from the Union or not, and it's kind of an unhealthy thing to obcess over. Not to worry Rep. Lorraine Quarberg is here to tell you what's healthy and what ain't:
"I don’t think there’s anyone in this room today what [sic] would come up here and say that this country is in good shape, that the world is stable and in good shape — because that is clearly not the case," state Rep. Lorraine Quarberg, R-Thermopolis, said. "To put your head in the sand and think that nothing bad’s going to happen, and that we have no obligation to the citizens of the state of Wyoming to at least have the discussion, is not healthy."

Granted, we aren't in especially good shape right now, and something bad is going to happen, sooner or later. Maybe in November. But Wyoming's concerns still seem a little apocalyptic. The task force is to study the potential impacts of a variety of potential federal disruptions, including (but not limited to) a rapid decline of the dollar, a disruption in food or energy distribution, an unspecified "constitutional crisis," or, even more ominously, the "potential effects of a situation in which the federal government has no effective power or authority over the people of the United States."

Hm. Not sure what they're getting at there. If the federal government had no power (and so presumably little if any authority), that'd mean things were pretty damn bad. If it had no authority, but did have power, there'd be those what would say that calls for secession.Is Wyoming planning to secede? If so, it'd probably need some armed forces, like a freaking aircraft carrier in a landlocked state...? ??? That amendment I told you about (which was adopted) was requiring the task force also to look into the "conditions under which the state of Wyoming should implement a draft, raise a standing army, marine corps, navy and air force and acquire strike aircraft and an aircraft carrier."

Surely, I thought, this means that at least somebody has a sense of humor about this project. Even if Wyoming were going to be independent, either by choice or because the other 49 states just quit inviting it to things, it's not very likely to need an aircraft carrier. Is the whole project (or at least the amendment) just intended to call attention to Wyoming's displeasure with the federal government? Or does Wyoming really need a navy with strike capability? And is that even possible? [see map above].

This is either one of the funnier things I've seen and a hilarious joke or there's some batshit crazy floating around the legislature in Wyoming.

Edit: I'm sorry I didn't see you there Descan, but I mean Wyoming might buy a freaking aircraft carrier. :P

[hug]
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 02:12:15 am by Truean »

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: March 06, 2012, 02:16:03 am »

There are 500,000 people in Wyoming! More people live in my county than in their entire state!

....Man, the blocky western states are just too weird.  Their politicians are also kind of off the rails like this because they have to convince so few people to vote for them.

Aircraft carrier. Please. Like Wyoming could ever survive out of being in the Union.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: March 06, 2012, 02:17:35 am »

There are 500,000 people in Wyoming! More people live in my county than in their entire state!

....Man, the blocky western states are just too weird.  Their politicians are also kind of off the rails like this because they have to convince so few people to vote for them.

Aircraft carrier. Please. Like Wyoming could ever survive out of being in the Union.

It's landlocked, by the Union. Even if it "left" the union; it'd still be smack dab in the middle of it. We've got 'em surrounded! :P

Also how the hell would you even GET an freaking carrier there? What? Over the Rockies from the Pacific?

Please don't quote me.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: March 06, 2012, 02:20:08 am »

Over the Rockies from the Pacific?
We're gonna need a bigger helicopter.

Or more like a fleet of bigger helicopters.

And a auto-fly network so that they can all coordinate.

And....a lot of things.

No wonder we're in such debt, maybe the Midwest needs to go back to being territories for a while.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: March 06, 2012, 02:21:26 am »

Over the Rockies from the Pacific?
We're gonna need a bigger helicopter.

Or more like a fleet of bigger helicopters.

And a auto-fly network so that they can all coordinate.

And....a lot of things.

No wonder we're in such debt, maybe the Midwest needs to go back to being territories for a while.

A.) These are self proclaimed "fiscal conservatives." Republicans....
B.) Wyoming's in the West. :P

Among those things they'd need: sanity.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 02:23:02 am by Truean »

Please don't quote me.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: March 06, 2012, 02:22:31 am »

I don't think they would keep on at home. More likely they would rent out space at a dock somewhere, thus costing even more...

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: March 06, 2012, 02:23:02 am »

Wyoming being in the West or Midwest depends upon whom you ask, and I say it's in the Midwest. For me, the West is California, Oregon, Washington, Idaho, and Nevada.
No Gods, No Masters.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: March 06, 2012, 02:29:10 am »

I'm pretty sure Wyoming also has a law against hunting whales in it's waters. So yeah...
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: March 06, 2012, 02:30:12 am »

You are all east as far as I can tell... The far east is coincidently, north.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: March 06, 2012, 02:37:32 am »

Among those things they'd need: sanity.
Did you even read the project they outlined? Let me tell you, sanity will not help make any progress with that. If anything, sane statements like, "But Wyoming is completely landlocked!" or "Who, exactly, are we going to be launching aircraft at from Yellowstone Lake?" are a hindrance to the whole scheme. A scheme, might I add, that will inevitably result in the best possible place to build a chief of state's residence: the beached ruins of an aircraft carrier in a dried-up lakebed. Just think of the aesthetics.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 759