Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 195 196 [197] 198 199 ... 759

Author Topic: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread  (Read 1247612 times)

lorb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: PoH's Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread
« Reply #2940 on: September 18, 2012, 09:06:08 am »

What has happened to "all men are created equal"? (as written in the declaration of independence)  :-[

Edit: and how can you talk of "equal rights" when you use "not equal worth" as justification to violate article 5 of the declaration of human rights? (No one shall be subjected to torture or to cruel, inhuman or degrading treatment or punishment.)
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 09:08:11 am by lorb »
Please be gracious in judging my english. (I am not a native speaker/writer.)
"This tile is supported by that wall."

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2941 on: September 18, 2012, 09:07:42 am »

1: It's wrong.

Or two.

2: If you don't have at least a basis of "Humans all have worth" then it is too easy to slide away from equal rights.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2942 on: September 18, 2012, 09:09:03 am »

Just kill them all and let god sort them out.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2943 on: September 18, 2012, 09:10:09 am »

Yeah. Well. I think that would be a good idea. But I am a asshole, so who knows?

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2944 on: September 18, 2012, 09:18:05 am »

The declaration of independence is a propaganda piece, no more, no less. It didn't really have anything to do with anything other than rousing the masses.

Now, don't get me wrong, all people ARE create roughly equal (meaning worth not a whole lot). Differences in average value are mostly on a personal level for quite a while afterwards, which is why I have no problem with abortion. The lack of brainpower and lack of desire to keep the baby gives it no real worth.

You generally have to be well into your teens before you get any reasonable value divergence. (generally, plenty of exceptions)

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2945 on: September 18, 2012, 09:29:00 am »

Terrifying statement. I believe people are intrinsically worth quite a lot. But the difference is there.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2946 on: September 18, 2012, 09:42:10 am »

I think they're worth quite a lot pretty quickly. I just don't think those worths diverge much until the teens, generally.

Also good to keep in mind:
Value is ALWAYS relative.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2947 on: September 18, 2012, 10:19:22 am »

What has happened to "all men are created equal"? (as written in the declaration of independence)  :-[

They are created equal. Meaning that no group of people (such as an ethnic group, religious group, etc.) is inherently worth more or less. It's what they do with themselves after that that adds or subtracts to that worth.

When you make the conscious decision to force yourself on an unwilling partner....you've just devalued yourself considerably.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2948 on: September 18, 2012, 12:21:43 pm »

http://lesswrong.com/lw/ase/schelling_fences_on_slippery_slopes/ might be a good read for everyone, I think.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2949 on: September 18, 2012, 12:40:08 pm »

Prevention is much better. I'll accept Bad Thing A happening if it prevents Worse Thing B, but ideally neither should happen.

First off, this statement assumes that rape is not as bad as a manged penis.
This has since been corrected, but I'm still curious as to why the hell you'd think I was arguing this direction and not the other.

Re: Worth of people.

IMO everyone, absolutely everyone, has some intrinsic worth. Doesn't matter what they do. This worth entitles them to basic moral considerations, such as not wanting to hurt them if possible without something worse happening.

People then have worth on top of that based on how good a person they are. This is where choice and actions and all that mumbo jumbo comes in. However, I'd argue this is pretty irrelevant when it comes to considering them in your preferred moral system: If you're a deontologist, doing Bad Things to them is no different than doing Bad Things to anyone else. A utilitarian, their happiness isn't worth less than other's. In my view as a virtue ethicist, compassion is a very respectable virtue and even more so when directed at someone you loathe.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2950 on: September 18, 2012, 12:47:22 pm »

This has since been corrected, but I'm still curious as to why the hell you'd think I was arguing this direction and not the other.

Because you were saying the penis mangler goes too far. You said that. You called it overkill.

Then later you said something "I'll accept Bad Thing A happening if it prevents Worse Thing B, but ideally neither should happen. "

So what the fuck is it? Overkill? Or just bad thing A?

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2951 on: September 18, 2012, 01:50:46 pm »

By that logic you could justify any torture for almost any crime.

If the rapex is acceptable during the rape, then it's also acceptable to mutilate genitals after the event, as a corporal punishment. How about we cut one of the rapist eyes out instead of mutilating his genitals? The rapist might actually choose to lose an eye than likely get an infected penis.

But why stop at rapists? We could reinstate corporal punishment and mutilation for a number of crimes. Guillotines place near stealable stuff which chops your hand off if you try and pilfer it, that'd be just as much within rights, after all, the person made the decision to steal from you, you didn't force them. And of course, if that was justified, the government chopping you hand off for stealing would be equally justified. After all, not everyone can afford the hand-guillotine to protect their property.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 01:58:05 pm by Reelya »

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2952 on: September 18, 2012, 01:57:52 pm »

Yeeaaah. Except not. If you were reading my posts you would already know what my response to what you just said is:

That is retribution. I don't advocate excessive retribution.

The penis mangling is to stop the action. Not as punishment for doing it.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2953 on: September 18, 2012, 01:59:31 pm »

I have to take it that you're arguing with Kaiyuu entirely for lulz then, because that's exactly his point.

Chopping your hand off prevents stealing. Chopping the dick off prevents further rapes.

Anyway, as Scriver correctly noted they'll just rape girls asses if the rapex becomes common.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 02:01:06 pm by Reelya »

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #2954 on: September 18, 2012, 01:59:56 pm »

By that logic you could justify any torture for almost any crime.

How about we cut one of the rapist eyes out instead of mutilating his genitals? The rapist might actually choose to lose an eye than likely get an infected penis.

But why stop at rapists? We could reinstate corporal punishment and mutilation for a number of crimes.

The rapist mangles himself, and the victims act was in self defense.

That is an entirely different category than maiming as a punishment.

If you think its horrible that the victim would allow her attacker to be mangled by his own action in the course of her assault., how much more horrible do you find it when a victim fights back and physically resisters her rapist?
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.
Pages: 1 ... 195 196 [197] 198 199 ... 759