Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 527 528 [529] 530 531 ... 759

Author Topic: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread  (Read 1247698 times)

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
Re: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread
« Reply #7920 on: December 19, 2013, 10:32:57 pm »

Two things: 1) This video took place in Britain. 2) Those two incidents took place 253 years apart, which is longer then the US has existed.

Jane Elliott is an American who does this all over the world. The specific video happened in Britain, but it started in the US...

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #7921 on: December 19, 2013, 10:53:38 pm »

Two things: 1) This video took place in Britain. 2) Those two incidents took place 253 years apart, which is longer then the US has existed.

Jane Elliott is an American who does this all over the world. The specific video happened in Britain, but it started in the US...
Ahh, so a single person from a group comprising 315 million people (and about 4.5% of the population of the planet) is doing it. Is Toronto the crack capital of the world then? There is a lot of evidence with which to criticize the US, but that is faulty.

This seems more like an experiment in group psychology then hidden racism to be honest. A Stanford Prison Experiment.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2013, 11:00:01 pm by misko27 »
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7922 on: December 19, 2013, 11:01:15 pm »

Ahh, so a single person from a group comprising 330 million people is doing it. Is Toronto the crack capital of the world then? There is a lot of evidence with which to criticize the US, but that is faulty.

This seems more like an experiment in group psychology then hidden racism to be honest. A Stanford Prison Experiment.
Chill. I'm not trying to say this is systemic of everybody in the US, just the shallow insight that this is a recurring theme in the history of the US.

And yes, this is very similar to the Stanford Prison Experiment, the difference is that was an experiment to see what would happen, and the person doing the test fell through the looking glass, while the Blue/Brown eye thingy is using that same hypothesis against people and siding with the jail guards.

lorb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7923 on: December 20, 2013, 08:29:56 am »

One has to say though that this video is not a particular neutral portrayal. It is quite sensationalist.
Wikipedia has a long article on her with an extensive criticism section on her diversity training that paints a different picture.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jane_Elliott#Criticism_of_Elliott-inspired_diversity_training
Please be gracious in judging my english. (I am not a native speaker/writer.)
"This tile is supported by that wall."

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #7924 on: December 20, 2013, 02:09:34 pm »

The worst part is that she has done this for 40 years. How many hundreds of children has she done this too?

t. fortsorter

• Bay Watcher
  • A Most Sophisticated Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #7925 on: December 20, 2013, 02:35:29 pm »

Indoctrination must be harsh, or else the people subject to it will be having second thoughts, haha~
Why would people want to or let others indoctrinate in this manner? Especially when it comes to this exact issue. You are welcome to educate me, in fact, please do~
« Last Edit: December 20, 2013, 02:37:16 pm by t. fortsorter »

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #7926 on: January 13, 2014, 12:21:28 pm »

I know this is Cracked, but here is an article based on an interview with a veteran about how shitty things are for women in the military (something that's been brought up here before): Enjoy.
Love, scriver~

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7927 on: January 13, 2014, 07:10:34 pm »

I know this is Cracked, but here is an article based on an interview with a veteran about how shitty things are for women in the military (something that's been brought up here before): Enjoy.

Those comments...
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7928 on: January 13, 2014, 07:18:33 pm »

Those comments...

/exit thread

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7929 on: January 13, 2014, 07:24:10 pm »

I do not trust this article. As in, at all.
Firstly, Cracked. Secondly, there's only three people actually quotes there. Thirdly, I got to number three.
Being given some hygiene products that are targeted at women is not a big deal. It'll still work, the difference is negligible. That should definitely not be more important than the equipment one, and even that is a petty complaint. The military gear is not made for any person or even group of people, it's just made to be as generic as possible. So that it can be mass-produced cheaply.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7930 on: January 13, 2014, 07:28:17 pm »

Let me remind you that female hygiene involves managing large quantities of blood.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7931 on: January 13, 2014, 07:34:54 pm »

Let me remind you that female hygiene involves managing large quantities of blood.
...duly noted.
Still though, wouldn't a hospital have supplies of [product of choice for absorbing expelled womb lining], regardless of the 'comfort kits'?
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7932 on: January 13, 2014, 07:42:22 pm »

Wouldn't the hospital have plenty of shit for male hygiene, too, regardless of comfort kits?  And hospital gowns, if the patient should happen to need anything to wear.

Ogdibus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7933 on: January 13, 2014, 08:11:14 pm »

I've seen some of that stuff first hand.  Disbelieving it doesn't make it go away.  It makes the problem worse.  When you see something like that from a dubious source, you can always check for it in credible sources, assuming that you can distinguish the two, (which isn't exactly easy).  This stuff comes up in the news on a regular basis.  Who am I going to trust, the people that are there when it happens, and journalists, or anonymous internet guys that want to be seen as the unabomber?

lorb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7934 on: January 14, 2014, 07:34:51 am »

Knowing society in general, and at least the military here in Austria, I have little doubt that it is a more misogynist place than average. Still it would be very nice to actually see those credible sources you talk about. Link maybe?
Please be gracious in judging my english. (I am not a native speaker/writer.)
"This tile is supported by that wall."
Pages: 1 ... 527 528 [529] 530 531 ... 759