Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 625 626 [627] 628 629 ... 759

Author Topic: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread  (Read 1244403 times)

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
Re: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread
« Reply #9390 on: February 08, 2015, 05:02:55 pm »

my opinion on these matters is not bigotry.
I don't think you get to make that judgement call.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #9391 on: February 08, 2015, 05:05:56 pm »

Fine then. Tell me, am I a bigoted asshole?

More than the norm, I mean.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #9392 on: February 08, 2015, 05:13:19 pm »

Where did the 'this thread is a safe space' come from?
That was me misremembering OP, I don't think anybody else has used the phrase except to describe it as something desirable. Not worth arguing about unless penguinofhonor wants it to be something at stake, probably. We should probably move on.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #9393 on: February 08, 2015, 05:27:02 pm »

Well, that would require going over your opinions with a fine tooth comb. Which is probably more effort than any of us here really wish to put into things

I've always been under the impression that bigotry is about intolerance towards those who are different from oneself, though apparently wikipedia disagrees with me. Regardless of whether it's bigotry, though, I think that "Trans-people can't actually change their genders" is a rather mean thing to say, considering how important that is to most of them. You can be mean if you want, of course, but I don't have to put up with it if I don't want to.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #9394 on: February 08, 2015, 05:32:20 pm »

« Last Edit: October 24, 2015, 12:25:26 am by penguinofhonor »

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9395 on: February 08, 2015, 05:44:42 pm »

Well, that would require going over your opinions with a fine tooth comb. Which is probably more effort than any of us here really wish to put into things

I've always been under the impression that bigotry is about intolerance towards those who are different from oneself, though apparently wikipedia disagrees with me. Regardless of whether it's bigotry, though, I think that "Trans-people can't actually change their genders" is a rather mean thing to say, considering how important that is to most of them. You can be mean if you want, of course, but I don't have to put up with it if I don't want to.
In that case, I'm a big meany :P

Well, beats bigotry I guess.

In all seriousness, I am sorry if me saying that did offend anyone. I was mentioning it more as an example - I don't tend to bring it up, as it doesn't really matter how I view it. If someone has that view, and it makes them happy, then it gains me nothing arguing it.

I just disagree that the arguing is, in itself, bigotry.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9396 on: February 08, 2015, 05:47:26 pm »

But Penguin, you're also breaking the rules made by this this threads OP (even if that person is you), rule five specifically. That seems a bit hypocritical.

That rule is not a free ticket to say whatever you want. Bigotry is not allowed, and this is where I draw the line on transphobia.

Ugh...it's not...bigotry to state an opinion. It's bigotry to be intolerant to what somebody else thinks. I, for example, think gender is more than just a changeable label. Stating this isn't bigotry, it's just opinion. Were someone to say they prefer to be called she/he, then I would most certainly do so. That's not intolerance, just a differing view.

Crushing that view would be bigotry.

"Intolerance towards bigotry" is a mainstay of these kinds of arguments, and I feel tempted to give my two cents on that, although we really should be moving on by now.
Anyway, people should be judged according to their actions, not their identities, thoughts, or opinions. Having an opinion is not a deed, but publicly stating your opinion -- especially to those whom it may concern -- is most definitely a deed, a speech act of sorts. Now, everyone is bigoted towards some group or another, and being "tolerant" is little more than simply being mindful of the fact that words matter. No-one can keep that in mind constantly, and that's why we often act like bigoted assholes, but it isn't possible to be a bigoted asshole since that description only concerns behaviour -- it is not a valid identity. Therefore, there is no such thing as intolerance towards bigotry.

EDIT: Removed redundant quote.     
« Last Edit: February 08, 2015, 05:51:49 pm by surqimus »

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #9397 on: February 08, 2015, 05:49:58 pm »

« Last Edit: October 24, 2015, 12:25:33 am by penguinofhonor »

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9398 on: February 08, 2015, 05:51:08 pm »

I think we have. We're off transgender discussion, and on to what it is to be a bigot :P
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9399 on: February 08, 2015, 05:54:16 pm »

E: Vec, you don't date atheists?

As a rule of thumb, nope. I could make an exception for one who went above and beyond to openly express tolerance for religious faith in general without prompting, but otherwise, no.

Move. On.

Can I ask what you're asking us to move on from, in specific? I want to respect you, and I also had some more points I wanted to add to one of the trans* sub-discussions we've been having.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9400 on: February 08, 2015, 06:00:34 pm »

I think it's the semantics argument - that is indeed in the OP. Trans stuff is fine.
(Although I think explicitly labeling this thread as a safe space for that stuff might invite what Germans call Totschlagargumente - "bludgeoning-to-death arguments", the type that does not further discussion but instead ends it.)
I'm honestly kinda surprised, Vec - I hadn't taken you for the religious kind... Any particular bad experiences with atheists?
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

aenri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9401 on: February 08, 2015, 06:01:08 pm »

Welp, this thread moves fast.

As for my previous statement - I probably need to clarify that I stated that I don't include transwomen in my "woman" dating pool - for my own reasons and I don't think anything's wrong with that. That was directly in response to ...2 or 3 posts up from mine?

I didn't want to make any generalizing statements about nature of transwomen and women. And I won't make any in this thread, because I don't like fanning flames.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9402 on: February 08, 2015, 06:02:29 pm »

E: Vec, you don't date atheists?

As a rule of thumb, nope. I could make an exception for one who went above and beyond to openly express tolerance for religious faith in general without prompting, but otherwise, no.

Eh...really? Because anyone who is religious is actually more likely, IMO, to be intolerant to other religions.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #9403 on: February 08, 2015, 06:07:00 pm »

b-but

vector notice me :P

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #9404 on: February 08, 2015, 06:12:05 pm »

There are plenty of atheists who are like that, for various reasons. I myself might be counted on the edge of that group, depending on how you gauge these things. I do believe that religious faith is a bad thing, and that most people would be better off without it, but I generally try to be gentle about it, and don't engage people unless they consent to having that conversation - I know firsthand how painful it can be to have change a large section of your beliefs like that, after all. There are some atheists that are a lot more aggressive, though, including a host that take insulting peoples religious opinions as an end in and of itself.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler
Pages: 1 ... 625 626 [627] 628 629 ... 759