Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 641 642 [643] 644 645 ... 759

Author Topic: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread  (Read 1223059 times)

Antsan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread
« Reply #9630 on: March 08, 2015, 04:28:46 pm »

(although economists seem to ignore that, see the metaphor of evolution for the free market would actually compel someone to pressure for more regulation instead of less)
Huh? Please elaborate, I've no idea what you're talking about.
A good evolutionary algorithm needs an optimization function which judges how well the agents are doing. Just making an evolutionary algorithm and having a sloppy optimization function won't give great or even good results in many cases. This means that these optimization functions need to be fine tuned, checked and rechecked.
The Free Market ideal asserts that "how much money do people invest" is a sufficient optimization function. Fine tuning that optimization function (as the metaphor suggests) through regulation is frowned upon.

So, what I wrote wasn't entirely correct, but still, if the evolutionary metaphor for the Free Market holds (as in "corporations are evolving agents") if we want good results we need regulation.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 04:31:42 pm by Antsan »
Taste my Paci-Fist

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #9631 on: March 08, 2015, 04:34:52 pm »

@Frumple
Well, yeah, but by the time you actually put them in charge of anything you'll have been raising them for so long that they'll presumably have the morals you decided to teach them well-ingrained into their behavior. Because otherwise they won't be competent, either. The whole AI glitching and turning into a malevolent overlord thing presumes an AI that has toddler-like levels of empathy and naivety about what it wants, but super-genius levels of competence and knowledge. I find it hard to believe that these things will ever coincide accidentally.

Now, it could be deliberately done by somebody doing something stupid like trying to make a soldier AI, but that's a different thing. Like, if you're trying to make a psychopath.

EDIT: And re: evolution in the markets, anybody who knows anything about evolution knows it's a really slow, inefficient, and above all brutal algorithm. It's the last resort in just about any application it actually gets used for, as far as I'm aware, and under no account should it voluntarily be used when the units that get culled off are actual people.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9632 on: March 08, 2015, 04:39:17 pm »

Also remember that evolution has no innate goal, it's just a way of adapting to circumstances. Antsan really has it spot-on there.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9633 on: March 08, 2015, 04:42:03 pm »

Evolution can be good at finding unintuitive solutions, so long as you either have very fast iteration or a lot of time to work with (though you can never have too much). Unfortunately, an AI doesn't really fall into either of those categories. You're going to want a while to test its competence and also probably have it done within a human lifetime. Given the complexity of what you're working with it's not likely to happen unaided.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9634 on: March 08, 2015, 04:42:06 pm »

I mean, the thing is, the defining characteristic of a good AI is that it can learn things very efficiently. That being the case, it seems strange to me to behave as though it will spring into being fully-formed with goals and skills and so on. It's not as though you'll compile a program and bam, your computer is talking to you. It seems more likely that it will need an education - it will need to be taught how to do things, and why. Motivations it has will be composites arising from how it thinks and the sensory experiences it has - very likely, an AI won't just be a computer program running in isolation, but will need things like a webcam and microphone in order to experience the world in a way that lets it form notions tied to, well, experience (although there's no reason it couldn't have additional senses, like a smell analogue for network traffic or something).

Making an AI of the kind people tend to envision is probably going to wind up being a lot like raising a child (with the major exception that you can have backups and copies made fairly trivially). If you're a parent, and you're worried about your toddler getting into the knife cabinet, how much of your fear is for your safety?
The difference is that an AI could probably get access to a digital library of human knowledge and leapfrog knowledge. The equivalent of a human going from "See Spot Run" to "War and Peace", but in days, hours, minutes instead of decades. There's a lot of ethical (and unethical) teachings in such a library.

And in a more specific sense, a person who programs the AI could conceivably create a ready-to-eat library of how-to guides for basic AI needs, like how to read a book, or how to understand and process language?
« Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 04:43:37 pm by Descan »
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Antsan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9635 on: March 08, 2015, 04:58:47 pm »

Just need to remember that an AI might be able to learn, but if it cannot alter its programming in any significant way, it's stuck with the same shortfalls it was programmed with.
Not really. Self modifying programs are a thing and I am pretty sure that can be extended to hardware. Of course how they modify themselves is still up to how they were originally programmed, but that doesn't mean that it is stuck with anything at all.
Taste my Paci-Fist

Antsan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9636 on: March 08, 2015, 05:52:57 pm »

Oops, missed the "if". Sorry about that.
I thought you assumed it wasn't possible, thus the answer.

And of course for hardware rewiring it would need the right tools.
Taste my Paci-Fist

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #9637 on: March 09, 2015, 02:52:18 pm »

So this again, same shit different flavor and expectation that I swallow it:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/domenick-scudera/introducing-the-alert-sil_b_6830766.html?ncid=txtlnkusaolp00000592

Mr. Silk believes that gays "don't have a right to be served in every single store. "

??? :o ::)

There's that bullshit phrase again, "And I say that sensitively, because I have homosexual friends." Who still like you despite you passing laws banning them from whatever parts of the public space and public serving places are arbitrarily off limits somehow?

Let's give him the benefit of the doubt and not call BS on this whole thing being about religion and say that it's not due to blatant prejudice against gays.

Then it's unequal enforcement.... Your religion frowns upon certain things? One of those things is gays? Does it frown upon other things? Stealing, adultery, killing, the rest of those biggie 10 commandments?

But you'd serve an adulterer? And you'd serve an ex con who stole something? Etc etc. But not a gay person?

The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9638 on: March 09, 2015, 03:27:12 pm »

Hell, if you say that phrase in earnest, you're MORE likely to be a racist.

When's the last time you heard a non-racist say something like that earnestly? (Non-racist as defined either by personal knowledge of the person, or if they're someone you don't know, then by them not saying something racist. "something racist" obviously does not include the phrase "Some of my friends are [race]!")
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #9639 on: March 09, 2015, 04:08:00 pm »

None of my friends are black.

But, given the fact there's only one person who's black in my school, that's hardly surprising.  :P
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #9640 on: March 09, 2015, 04:19:51 pm »

I too, had a black guy at attending high school.

* Dutchling high-fives TheDwarf

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #9641 on: March 09, 2015, 05:16:19 pm »

one time i saw a black person at the corner store, it was terrifying and I notified my klan supervisor stationed in every town and city in the south and he was immediately lynched

((no but seriously I went to a private school in a small town that had maybe 300 students K-12, and there was only 1 black student. I'm more intimately connected to racism than most people could believe is possible))

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #9642 on: March 09, 2015, 05:18:55 pm »

I too, had a black guy at attending high school.

* Dutchling high-fives TheDwarf
Mine's a girl. Hey! Maybe we can put them on a blind date? :P
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #9643 on: March 10, 2015, 05:00:57 am »

None of my friends are black. I'm racist, I swear.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9644 on: March 10, 2015, 05:52:51 am »

None of my friends are alive.

On an entirely unrelated note, I am not a serial killer.
Pages: 1 ... 641 642 [643] 644 645 ... 759