Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 699 700 [701] 702 703 ... 759

Author Topic: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread  (Read 1247287 times)

TripJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread
« Reply #10500 on: July 03, 2015, 12:23:39 pm »

'No, because you can choose to be a Nazi, you cannot choose to be gay or straight.'
intolerant anti nazi extremist detected

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10501 on: July 03, 2015, 12:26:07 pm »

Well to be fair to not actually your viewpoint, you can't choose to be a Nazi. You can choose to join Nazi organisations, but belief isn't something that you choose to do.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #10502 on: July 03, 2015, 12:28:30 pm »

'No, because you can choose to be a Nazi, you cannot choose to be gay or straight.'
intolerant anti nazi extremist detected
End naziphobia now

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #10503 on: July 03, 2015, 12:31:08 pm »

Well to be fair to not actually your viewpoint, you can't choose to be a Nazi. You can choose to join Nazi organisations, but belief isn't something that you choose to do.
There's also the minor fact that Nazis don't exist any more, or at least they won't in a smallish amount of years when the last actual Nazis die off.  Neo-Nazis are just wannabes.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #10504 on: July 03, 2015, 02:06:42 pm »

Much red herring, such slippery slope, wow. I'm glad that my family can't afford TV, or else my mom would still likely be watching O'Reilly and I would have smashed the television.

In other news, Oregon has decided that religion is not a license to discriminate against same-sex couples. This is the news that I have been waiting to hear for a long time, now I just want to hear the feds say it.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Antsan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10505 on: July 04, 2015, 09:30:48 am »

Humans are superficial bastards:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/beauty-blogger-em-ford-washes-off-her-makeup-to-reveal-a-shocking-internet-truth_55959e38e4b0569b63403b2c?ncid=txtlnkusaolp00000592
I am a bit appalled by how many comments basically say "Don't worry, you're beautiful either way, your bone structure is totally awesome and those eyes and that nose…" All the people who don't have that can go fuck themselves, it seems.
Taste my Paci-Fist

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10506 on: July 04, 2015, 12:05:38 pm »

Well, some people are ugly, yeah.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Antsan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10507 on: July 04, 2015, 01:17:07 pm »

What I meant to say is that they seem to miss the point of the video, which seems to say that being beautiful should not depend on your looks.

That might read like lunacy, but my lived experience actually is that the beauty of the people I meet is mainly a matter of what mindset I am in and what they act like, not so much their looks. Perceiving people as beautiful can be learned.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2015, 02:11:47 pm by Antsan »
Taste my Paci-Fist

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10508 on: July 04, 2015, 01:28:19 pm »

Welcome to my world. 

Spoiler: explanation (click to show/hide)

I often find "beautiful" people, (especially women, but metrosexual men are another top contender), are often very ugly people underneath the skin.

Superficial, vain, egotistical-- more than willing to degrade other people for slight visual flaws. Makeup does not cover ugliness of the mind.

It's the same thing that happens to poorer kids when all the other kids are wearing Nike shoes and Lucky brand jeans-- just extrapolated into the adult world.

At its core, it boils down to the "like self" vs "other" dichotomy.  The same thing that causes racism, that causes nationalism, that causes gender politics, and so many other things.

Embrace the other. Live a fuller life.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2015, 01:36:43 pm by wierd »

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #10509 on: July 04, 2015, 10:05:22 pm »

What I meant to say is that they seem to miss the point of the video, which seems to say that being beautiful should not depend on your looks.

That might read like lunacy, but my lived experience actually is that the beauty of the people I meet is mainly a matter of what mindset I am in and what they act like, not so much their looks. Perceiving people as beautiful can be learned.
I dunno. I always thought of beauty as equated to personality. Physical looks are merely aesthetics for me. x3
T'was mentioned as 'ideal' by one of my instructors, but I'm unsure if its 'ideal' because that sounded like it was externally described rather than 'something I felt since ever'.

Meaning that I couldn't understand why people took up makeup (looking better, that's one point, but I'm unsure as to why its being overused at times) other than social pressure or something something conformity(?)?

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10510 on: July 04, 2015, 10:36:19 pm »

Meaning that I couldn't understand why people took up makeup (looking better, that's one point, but I'm unsure as to why its being overused at times) other than social pressure or something something conformity(?)?
I think insecurity is a more likely culprit than social pressure or conformity because (from my experience) insecurity does not necessarily arise from those 2 but can definitely give rise to them.
Hm, have you considered murder?  It's either that or letting it go.
SigText
I logged back on ;_;

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #10511 on: July 04, 2015, 10:43:58 pm »

I think insecurity is a more likely culprit than social pressure or conformity because (from my experience) insecurity does not necessarily arise from those 2 but can definitely give rise to them.
Really? o_o
All I've known about insecurity is that it is externally influenced (ie Self esteem hits) or how others pressure 'how you should be according to {expectations}' like 'girls should look pretty :D {and then expectations...}'. "This is not pretty O_O {and then notes}"

Could I ask details on that? :O

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10512 on: July 04, 2015, 11:10:14 pm »

I think the point is that we can be more self-critical than anyone else. Often people worry about little details that everyone else is barely aware of, because those other people are too busy worrying about their own stuff.

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10513 on: July 04, 2015, 11:29:17 pm »

Really? o_o
All I've known about insecurity is that it is externally influenced (ie Self esteem hits) or how others pressure 'how you should be according to {expectations}' like 'girls should look pretty :D {and then expectations...}'. "This is not pretty O_O {and then notes}"

Could I ask details on that? :O
As far as I understand it we begin to form our identities based on the way people around us act and how we in particular wish to act. We see how these people interact with each other and form a "role" or ideal based off their interactions with each other and our personal interactions with them. Our personal interactions can function as a sort of balance to the roles we see other people perform as we try to get the outcomes we want want most vs what we are willing to do.

Sometimes though we see others getting the outcomes we want by doing the exact same or similar actions to what we do. But we aren't getting those outcomes. This creates a very big uncertainty.
Why is mommy so happy when Tina plays with Barbie and Ken? Why isn't she like that when I do?
Part of human pattern seeking is trying to tie actions to outcomes and not everyone is able to easily figure out the missing pieces in the puzzle and many times those pieces are simply lost. Mommy could be happy in those particular instances because she likes when Tina does that or because Tina is noiseily having fun when Mommy is in the proper emotional state to be happy for the happiness of others(and loud noises aren't painful at that moment).

But children(and humans in general) often can't determine how much their information matches with reality and in many cases there are no objective means to find out but they need to know. And with no outlets they put fault to any of the variables(which they don't always have a good grasp of) and the most common variable for every situation we experience is ourself.
Hm, have you considered murder?  It's either that or letting it go.
SigText
I logged back on ;_;

Antsan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10514 on: July 05, 2015, 04:15:47 am »

I dunno. I always thought of beauty as equated to personality. Physical looks are merely aesthetics for me. x3
Be careful with that: It has been shown that good looking people are judged to have a better personality by most people. I'm not sure I am not prone to that kind of bias.
Taste my Paci-Fist
Pages: 1 ... 699 700 [701] 702 703 ... 759